PYB no better at sludge than any other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A message just passed to me, PYB has no more sludge cleaning than any other mineral oil.

I'm fairly certain that's incorrect, but i wanted to see what you guys knew about it, i don't do much mineral/dino oil.

My only thought would be to ingredients that are not known to us like things that don't show up on UOA's and maybe the person who said this to you is just basing this on things like calcium, etc not being all that much higher if at all?

More specifically, I'm thinking of organic chemicals/compounds whatever they are that don't show up.

Valvoline SynPower is another example I can think of where it's said by some it uses organic compounds more than the conventional ones to do its job. This is in reference to people citing it to have a poor additive package when looking at VOA's. This seems to have merit when one looks at UOA's of the oil which are generally very impressive.

i have been a pennzoil hater for years, every car i tore into who ran it was gunked up!!! there is no way it could have been the oil leaks missing thermestats or general lack of maintenance that caused the sludge.
then i met my wifes explorer, 110k all on pennzoil products changed at 3k and its as clean as a new engine!!! im still running pennzoil in it and will be running it in my truck soon. i dont know if its got more of anything, all i know is her oil is black as knight right now with 2k as always and the internals are clean as new.
check my link

Yeah, i feel Penzoil is good as well, as i said, this was a message from a friend to autozone..... go figure.

There is no way that the additives in all make mineral oils are the same.

Pennzoil is good oil and does clean better than many competing oils do. This is do to the generous calcium package each of their product contains, from PYB to Ultra (in increasing amounts across the line up). Calcium is an excellent detergent/dispersant and the main additive used in oil (unless magnesium is also used in large doses, though this more a diesel oil thing), at least among PCMOs, for that purpose.

The message passed to the OP was inaccurate.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
A message just passed to me, PYB has no more sludge cleaning than any other mineral oil.

I'm fairly certain that's incorrect, but i wanted to see what you guys knew about it, i don't do much mineral/dino oil.

Pennzoil YB is as good as any conventional oil at its pricepoint. The additive package is good and it will keep an engine fairly clean if you know its limits on mileage and time.

Plus you still need a filter to go with it , not any can will do; the filter plays a role in this.

Surely your not comparing it to regular mineral oil, of which would lock the engine up in time.

Yes they were comparing to regular mineral oil
smirk.gif

Anyway, my friend ended up with quaker state and an STP filter, which i couldn't remember off the top of my head if it was any good or not.

Whoever told you this probably believes that Pennzoil causes wax build up too. While PYB will probably not clean as well as PP or PU, it will do a fairly decent job.

I'm not saying that is right or wrong but to be fair, I haven't seen evidence of any motor oil with the ability to clean sludge.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX

What is wrong with that statement? Most, if not all, of the newer name brand oils are very good at preventing sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back