Put MTL,MT90 blend in 2003 Camry 5 SPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in 1 quart of Redline Synthetic MTL and 1.75 quarts of Redline Synthetic MT90. This works so much better in this transmission then the Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90!!!! It shifted realy notchy before and now it is as smoth as a hot knife in a bucket of butter!

Now my transmission is spec.'ed for GL4/GL5 75W90 so any GL4/GL5 product will protect just fine. The difference though is in shift feel!!! It is also very quite.

Last time I went with RP MaxGear becasue my local CarQuest had it in stock. I wont do that again. I had them order the Redline stuff for me and they had the next day. It was $9.18+tax so I thought I got a good deal. Walmart Synthetic cost thatmuch and all of the others like Mobil-1,Amsoil and Royal Purple were more expensive.

You went from a lube 21cst@ 100C/144.5cst@ 40C
to a Mix of MTL/MT90 thats maybe 14cst@ 100?
Too lazy to figure it out. But yeah I can imagine it actually shifts nice now
smile.gif

Yep, I was thinking something along the lines of what 04SpecV said. Most of the difference you feel has to do with the lighter (viscosity) fluid.

I'm no Royal Purple fan, but I've always wondered how a mix of Max Gear and Syncromax would do and have asked RP friends to try this.
dunno.gif

One thing I question is this:

"Now my transmission is spec'd for GL4/GL5 75W-90 so any GL4/GL5 product will protect just fine."

Are you saying any weight GL4/5 product? Because I don't think that's the case. I would be very wary of going down dramatically in weight ... as some Honda and Nissan owners have by using Pennzoil or GM syncromesh fluid in their trannies. Seems to be fine in the short term but I'd expect serious damage in the long term.

--- Bror Jace

I don't even think the stock OEM lube is a 75W90.

I bet straight MTL does nothing to hurt it.

Yes, All Toyota manual transmissions use gear lube. They all includeing car and truck transmissions can use either a GL4 or GL5 rated product. Depending on the year Toyota transmissions call for 70W80,70W90,75W90 gear lube. Most modern gear lubes are dual rated GL4/GL5. Their has never been to the best of my ability any Toyota transmission calling for motor oil, or any propitary synromesh type lube.

I personely think that any company that builds a manual transmission that requires a special fluid other then gear lube is incompent! If it is designed properly then common fluids already on the market should work just fine for it. They either designed an inferrior products and are useing special lube as a band-aid fix or they are looking to soak your pocket book for a special fluid only available at the dealership!

The transmission holds almost 3 quarts and only one of them is MTL the rest were MT90. I think the OEM owners manual calls for 2.89 quarts or sometyhing like that. I do not have the manual handy or I would look. I am just guesing by how much flowed onto the floor after I put 3 quarts in. I was slowly adding fluid until it started to flow out. I had already put 2.5 quarts in and it was good. The last 1/2 a quart went in fast then all of a sudden it started flowing out.

I think the shift feel is at least as much a function of additive chemistry as it is viscosity!!

Max Gear
Moly 139
Boron 268
Calcium 43
Phos 2318
Zink 0

MTL/MT90
Boron 33
Calcium 4076
Phos 3184
Zink 3523

Status