Push mower high octane

But i thought you said it was not ok? What made you change your mind?

Where did I say that the octane rating cannot lower while being stored?

Now I see the real intent of this thread.

Read up on how an apparent octane rating is and can be achieved. You can answer your own question(s) there.

There are a plethora of ways to increase the apparent octane rating of gasoline. But not all are susceptible to the problem the Sunoco article is describing. As shown by their subsequent discussion of race fuel.

Your earlier question was about "trouble", not about lowered octane rating. Trouble means degradation or oxidation of the fuel, none of which is related to the octane rating per se.

Using higher octane gas in a low compression engine while expecting any improvement of the engine's performance is like adding diesel to a gas engine in an attempt to improve its low end torque. Ethanol free gas is the best for small engines, especially if used only seasonally/ stored for months unused. If E0 is not available in your area, focusing on keeping the fuel fresh is critical. I've had far less carburetor issues turning the fuel valve off and letting the engines idle til carburetor fuel bowl empties.

87 E0 is what i use and i see no benefit in using high octane in a small 4 cycle engine with such low compression.
20210518_061816.jpg

20210518_061812.jpg

My mower generally gets 89E10 (about 94RON) simply because I’ll fill my truck up at the same time and that’s the recommended octane for it. 87E0 costs the same as 93E10 here and in my opinion isn’t worth it, never had an issue with phase separation (except the one time I left the gas can outside and it rained all night…) or gummed up carbs.

Why does Echo warrant their new OPE for 5 years if using their Echo Power blend two stroke oil along with 89 octane gas? Not really high octane but higher octane than 87.

OP how far north are you, I've been mowing twice a week for almost two months.

87 E0/red sta-bil here, not sure what I'd do if I couldn't get E0 at a reasonable price, maybe hire someone.

OP how far north are you, I've been mowing twice a week for almost two months.

87 E0/red sta-bil here, not sure what I'd do if I couldn't get E0 at a reasonable price, maybe hire someone.
Im more east than north, in the UK haha

Never and was never recommended on any of my equipment. Its use won't make the engine run any better, so why use it?
only thing its good for is wanting to use that gas for like 5+ years because of octane degradation but i wouldn't even recommend that. any gas that isn't used should be poured out of the equipment and dumped back into the can and dumped into the vehicle to burn up. get new gas next time in the spring when lawns start growing and things need to be pressure washed.

Do you guys use fuel system cleaners like this fuel system cleaner:
Does it stop gumming of carb jets?

Back