Purolator L14477 torn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a puro that was purchased a week or two ago, and was in use 5 Sad to say that the Tearalator never left the scene. It looks like a manufacturing mess up. The cut was on the opposite of where I cut the can, so I wasn't the cause of it.
Now it looks to be a 2015 production, a cryptologist should chime in
confused.gif

On the flip side, the ADBV was in good shape
48.gif

Sorry 636
28.gif

This is different I see A lot of Puro "fails" now a days... People fail to realize that filters in the box are subject to environmental conditions. I have seen it first hand ordering OX 68d for my BMW, one sites filters were old and brownish and felt brittle and the oil would dirty fast, I had 2 of them. I purchased 3 more from another site with a 2k14 MFG date, they are MUCH lighter in color like incredibly white/tan and so far im 3k into an OCI and the oil is "cleaner" but I pulled the filter cartridge to check and its still very pliable and light in color compared to the old warehouse ones I had before which were stiff and came out with crooked pleats . ALWAYS CHECK YOUR "SALE" FILTERS MFG DATE, It does matter.

Last edited:
I do believe from the numbers of torn pleats we've seen that there is a problem. But in this case, this tear looks different from the others. The others seem to be near a crimp point. Seeing the way the can was opened in the background makes me wonder if this tear was inadvertently i introduced from the way the can was opened. There can looks rough and some jagged edges are about that might have torn this pleat. The pleat looks really clean cut.

Last edited:
That is an odd one. It does "look" like a cut, however it would be very difficult to cut the pleat so deeply while cutting the filter and leave the neighboring pleats pristine.

The tear is also far enough from the endcap an opening cut is not likely IMO. While strange, I will give the nod to the OP who says he did not cut it he was there we were not.

We can put this one in the "strange" category for sure.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
The cut was on the opposite of where I cut the can, so I wasn't the cause of it.

Key note ... he cut the can on the opposite side of the damaged media.

Now it looks to be a 2015 production, a cryptologist should chime in
confused.gif

Date code = Feb 6, 2015

I was really hoping for puro to come up to their past quality, I like the filter design and how it has been. I guess I will have to wait another few years for them to get their stuff together or get bought out by a competent company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie

Sorry 636
28.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Its ok I think they are on vacation spending those puro dollars they've so dearly earned. It could be a week or so before they get caught up with all the puro fails and start responding.

Last edited:
Looking at how you murdered the can to open it this could be a result of that.

The pleats on this puro actually look much better than what we've seen in the past. Can you please post a picture of the seam.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Looking at how you murdered the can to open it this could be a result of that.

The pleats on this puro actually look much better than what we've seen in the past. Can you please post a picture of the seam.

The cut was opposite to where OP cut the can.

It was in use 5-10 minutes.

Sorry, the garbage man picked it up already. The side with the seam was unremarkable, as was the rest of the filter. No tears, just that cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back