Purolator Classic with Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil change is coming up soon on my 2011 DTS. I personally decided to use Full Synthetic every 5K miles.

Since I bought the car a year ago, I'd been using a Purolator Boss filter as it was included with the 5Qt oil jug I bought.

I still have a Purolator Classic L25288 laying around from a previous oil change special. I would have used it, but I delayed it since I got the BOSS filters for free.

Would there be any trouble using it? I read here about the tearing issue and decided to prioritize "other" filters over this one. Im more concerned with filtration ability vs synthetic media. On the Northstar, The filter is mounted on the bottom, so the ADBV type shouldn't be an issue.

I also saw Napa has their Platinum filters on sale for $5. I feel tempted to buy one and use it. Although it's overkill for a 5K OCI, I like the "fuzzy" feeling knowing i'm running one of the best filters on the car.

No problem using the Classic with synthetic oil. We used to do it all the time before all of these new syn filter media hit the market. With today's standards, it may not be considered optimal but, it's not going to hurt anything.

I mean, if you went to the dealer for an oil & filter change or bought the required AC Delco filter for your engine, they're nut'in special, are they? Even if the dealer used the required synthetic oil, they'd most likely put on an El Cheap-O AC delco filter.

Let's see here ....
The choice is a Puro Classic (aka tearolater) or the Napa Plat (Wix XP).
So either you risk a tear giving really poor filtration, or you use a syn media filter with really poor claimed efficiency.
Tough call.
21.gif

either one is likely to be OK for 5k miles. But I would not call either of these the "best" money can buy.

PS - there ain't no "best" filter, but there are others worthy of your money more so than these two.

Last edited:
Why would there be a problem using the Purolater Classic filter with syn oil other that the element having a high probability of tearing. Marketing sure herds the sheep.

Using any filter with synthetic oil? No problem. Where I have a problem is using the Purolator classic. They used to be one of the best filters available for the price, and it's unfortunate what has happened to them and their quality.

I would buy the Platinum for $5. In fact, you should stock up on them before they go off sale.
Do you need a 5 gallon bucket? They have a deal where you buy the bucket and put a minimum of 3 items in it to receive 20% off.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I would buy the Platinum for $5. In fact, you should stock up on them before they go off sale.
Do you need a 5 gallon bucket? They have a deal where you buy the bucket and put a minimum of 3 items in it to receive 20% off.

I don't even think you need to buy a bucket to get the 20% off, I put 3 items into a pickup order for NAPA and I got 20% off on the 3rd item (the first two items were NAPA Platinums, the third was a NAPA Gold) There was no mention on that order about having to pay for a bucket. It just said 20% off automatically.

You don't have to buy the bucket for sale items. The bucket sale with the 20% discount only applies to regular-priced non-sale items
smile.gif

Also, you if place the order online to pick up in-store, you don't need the bucket for that, either.

I always like to place my order online for pick up in store since I'm driving an hour and crossing over the border to grab these items, so if they don't have it in stock I'll have to make another trip. And I notice when I put in the order for the filter for my wife's BMW they don't keep that one in stock but they say it'll arrive the next day (so I will officially enter the order on Thursday night for a Saturday morning pickup)

When I think of the bazillions of cars that get an oil change at ye old BBQ and lube shop, you know they are just getting junk filters, and many of them go well over 100,000 miles (some 2-300,000.) Run it and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
My oil change is coming up soon on my 2011 DTS. I personally decided to use Full Synthetic every 5K miles.

Since I bought the car a year ago, I'd been using a Purolator Boss filter as it was included with the 5Qt oil jug I bought.

I still have a Purolator Classic L25288 laying around from a previous oil change special. I would have used it, but I delayed it since I got the BOSS filters for free.

Would there be any trouble using it? I read here about the tearing issue and decided to prioritize "other" filters over this one. Im more concerned with filtration ability vs synthetic media. On the Northstar, The filter is mounted on the bottom, so the ADBV type shouldn't be an issue.

I also saw Napa has their Platinum filters on sale for $5. I feel tempted to buy one and use it. Although it's overkill for a 5K OCI, I like the "fuzzy" feeling knowing i'm running one of the best filters on the car.

It's perfectly fine to use the purolator classic. You could use those exclusively for the life of the vehicle and it will last just as long as with any other full flow filters I believe.

I still have a Purolator Classic L25288 laying around from a previous oil change special.

What's the date code stamped on the can?

Originally Posted by Pinoak

It's perfectly fine to use the purolator classic. You could use those exclusively for the life of the vehicle and it will last just as long as with any other full flow filters I believe.

I believe you right.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
When I think of the bazillions of cars that get an oil change at ye old BBQ and lube shop, you know they are just getting junk filters, and many of them go well over 100,000 miles (some 2-300,000.) Run it and don't worry about it.

As I mentioning in another thread though, times have changed. Engine designs from 20 years ago that made it to higher mileage on cheap oil and cheap filters cannot be compared to a lot of the engines made today that put a lot more stress on the oil. Do you want to take a chance with a direct injected and turbo charged engine by running cheap oil and filters? Your chances of success are greatly diminished. So just because a lot of older engines made it to 200, 300, 400k running cheap stuff doesn't mean that you'll see that happening forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back