Purolator Boss 14610 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a 14610 run for 8500 miles. Ran on a 2004 TSX with 140,000 miles. Perfect ADBV, nice straight pleats, good louvers! Made on 10/23/2015.

For the same price range, I'll stay with the Ultra.
Had Purolator Inc honed-up to their quality control issues / tears and admitted fault & admitted a fix, I would buy again from them. But as of today, never again will I buy Purolator.

There are thousands more saying the same thing as me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
For the same price range, I'll stay with the Ultra.
Had Purolator Inc honed-up to their quality control issues / tears and admitted fault & admitted a fix, I would buy again from them. But as of today, never again will I buy Purolator.

There are thousands more saying the same thing as me.

True, but if we start seeing more filters like this one from Purolator, I would have no problem using one, but still would not pay full price for it.

Nothing wrong with that except you probably paid about $3.00 too much for it and supported a company that doesn't seem too concerned about customers.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Nothing wrong with that except you probably paid about $3.00 too much for it and supported a company that doesn't seem too concerned about customers.

You're wrong. Paid about $7 with AAP's 40% off code. As far as the company, I don't disagree with you, but I also believe in second chances. No one is disputing the fact that the Fram Ultra is a great filter, but I don't understand why some ppl always need to make it about that. I've used them many times and will continue to switch back and forth.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for taking the time for this. I have a Boss on both our Elantra and Forester for the past two oil changes and they feel very sturdy. Usually switch between Boss and Fram Ultra's.

R

Originally Posted By: bandz7

You're wrong. Paid about $7 with AAP's 40% off code. As far as the company, I don't disagree with you, but I also believe in second chances. No one is disputing the fact that the Fram Ultra is a great filter, but I don't understand why some ppl always need to make it about that. I've used them many times and will continue to switch back and forth.

Then you did OK on it.

Still, I'm with Triple 7 on this one...

But it is your money, your filter and your decision - and that filter did well. This particular design is one of the ones that the ADBV can't contact the tapping plate on so it should be safe from that aspect.

Purolator lost a LOT of folks trust plain and simple. I'm giving MC a 2nd chance myself. FRAM ULTRA's are a great filter also.

Back on track...

Be interesting to see how much is actually in the media... if it is still around to dissect the media...

Back on track...

Be interesting to see how much is actually in the media... if it is still around to dissect the media...

Cut it last night, here's what I found. I'm not surprised at all that it's pretty loaded up considering 8500 miles, however this is my mil's car and I know it burns a quart every 1400-1500 miles. I keep track and it's been steady at that mileage for about 3 years.

Originally Posted By: bandz7

Cut it last night, here's what I found. I'm not surprised at all that it's pretty loaded up considering 8500 miles, however this is my mil's car and I know it burns a quart every 1400-1500 miles. I keep track and it's been steady at that mileage for about 3 years.

Interesting photo. Looks like a hybrid/blend media.

Bought a Boss PBL10241 a while back for a Tacoma 4.0lt V6. Had heard about the quality control issues lately so decide to investigate and cut the filter open. Seems like a well built filter with synthetic media and glued metal end plates, silicone valve, somewhat strong bypass spring and very thick base plate. Wasn't thrilled with the metal center core of the filter. The louvers were barely punched thru. Can only imagine a reduced flow rate of oil when new and even more so when in use for thousand of miles. No thanks. Wont buy Purolators ever again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back