Purolater Destoying Cars.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lugNutz
How about you provide me with the part #'s for the one's you have and I will gladly take them off your hands
smile.gif

You're going to get filters with bullet holes in them. Duh...

There is enough stuff online about the "Orange Filter Syndrome" and any company can have a defective item slip through quality control. This does not mean their entire product line is faulty. Personally, I have never seen a defective filter from Purolator and the quality seems to be decent for the price.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: lugNutz
How about you provide me with the part #'s for the one's you have and I will gladly take them off your hands
smile.gif

You're going to get filters with bullet holes in them. Duh...

Haha. I'm hoping to get my hands on them BEFORE the holes are there.

However, if they did have bullet holes, we would finally have a root cause of failure discussion that does NOT involve screaming about how horrible Puro is due to tears. I will take them and use them with a smile on my face.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
At this point shouldn't we put out a warning to people buying Purolater oil filters? It's obvious that it is a system wide failure. I have a few Pure One that I think I will use as target practice. It amazes me how a company can go from being top notch to a disgrace. I have 5 of there filters that I will throw out. I guess this is a lesson in hoarding oil filters for readers here. I think some members here have a stash of the faulty filters and just refuse to believe the facts. I hate this company for responding in a half #ss way. I hope class action law suits will eventually follow against Purolater but I know it will be a uphill battle.

Americans sure are lawsuit happy.......

I question the assumption. "Destroying cars"? What evidence exists to support this? A few very small tears in the filter media might reduce filtration effectiveness, but to what degree? What analysis has been done to determine the effect of these small tears? Anyone get a high wear UOA after finding a tear? While a small media tear isn't desirable, I doubt it does much harm...there's simply no evidentiary basis for the claim "destroying cars". "Destroying cars" is an emotional claim.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I question the assumption. "Destroying cars"? What evidence exists to support this? A few very small tears in the filter media might reduce filtration effectiveness, but to what degree? What analysis has been done to determine the effect of these small tears? Anyone get a high wear UOA after finding a tear? While a small media tear isn't desirable, I doubt it does much harm...there's simply no evidentiary basis for the claim "destroying cars". "Destroying cars" is an emotional claim.

+1 Exactly! VW Bugs ran fine for many years with no oil filters. The drama on BITOG is unending.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

+1 Exactly! VW Bugs ran fine for many years with no oil filters. The drama on BITOG is unending.

This is true. What I fail to understand is the problem is known and documented here, so why do people continue using them? Brand loyalty? LOL I moved on, returned what I had on hand, done and over with. I'm not going to dissect filters hoping they didn't have issues after an OCI, it's too late then. I'm not going waste money cutting them open before to see if they had a problem rendering the filter useless. It has already been proven to me there's a problem with the filters. I'm not going to play Russian Roultee with my fleet, and I'm not going to worry about a filter failing while in use. Will it wreck my engine? I doubt it. Will it cause additional wear? Maybe, but I don't have to cross that bridge. Can other filters fail? Sure. When there's a slew of failures like Purolator has with any brand I use, I'll switch brands again. No biggie.

The other unanswered question is: "what's the rate at which these tears occur". We have a few pix on BITOG of torn filter media. How many filters were changed this year? How many were examined?

In order to get any kind of statistical accuracy, you need a reasonable sample size across all the brands. That would mean analysis of hundreds of thousands of the hundreds of millions of filters used.

Anecdotal incidents are not indicative of trends.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Don't feed the trolls.

No kidding. Trolls apparently hang out on oil forums too. haha

The other unanswered question is: "what's the rate at which these tears occur". We have a few pix on BITOG of torn filter media. How many filters were changed this year? How many were examined?

In order to get any kind of statistical accuracy, you need a reasonable sample size across all the brands. That would mean analysis of hundreds of thousands of the hundreds of millions of filters used.

If you know sampling methods to get statistical estimations, you would know that you don't need hundreds of thousands. You only need about 50 randomly sampled oil filters and let your uncertainty fall to a small 2% variation. Sampling for statistics 101 here.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro

If you know sampling methods to get statistical estimations, you would know that you don't need hundreds of thousands. You only need about 50 randomly sampled oil filters and let your uncertainty fall to a small 2% variation. Sampling for statistics 101 here.

I would say that is exactly what is going on here at BITOG. Buuuuuut that uncertainty is a little more than 2%.
smirk.gif

It's simple. If you don't like tears in the media, or are afraid to use Purolators because the media could tear ... THEN DON'T BY 'EM. Go buy something else that will do the job better.

I can't wrap my head around having an emotional attachment to an oil filter. It's not like an iphone.
grin.gif

I do think it's cool to see cut open filters and to read and discuss failure modes and analysis. Please continue to do so.

Also, thanks to the folks that follow up with Purolator and post their communications with them. I'm interested in what shakes out.

But as far as playing the victim (I've had my share of failed media and poorly constructed filters), I think it's time to move on.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
wonder what kind of troll next, was fram, now Pura, wix next ?

We already bashed the Wix XP for its 50% efficiency @ 20 microns while industry leaders are 99%+ at this rating.

I don't think the efficiency is any worse on a torn P1 than an oem Asian filter. I believe i saw a torn puro p1 uoa and the insoluables were normal.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's simple. If you don't like tears in the media, or are afraid to use Purolators because the media could tear ... THEN DON'T BY 'EM. Go buy something else that will do the job better.

Like a Wix....
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I can't wrap my head around having an emotional attachment to an oil filter. It's not like an iphone.
grin.gif

I do think it's cool to see cut open filters and to read and discuss failure modes and analysis. Please continue to do so.

Also, thanks to the folks that follow up with Purolator and post their communications with them. I'm interested in what shakes out.

But as far as playing the victim (I've had my share of failed media and poorly constructed filters), I think it's time to move on.

Great post! Exactly how I feel. Only BITOG...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back