Purolater Premium Red Ones???

So I have $5 worth of Menard's credit and wondering if the Purolater Premium (Red Box) still has the tearing issues. Have they finally fixed the tearing issues? My other option is the $3 Supertech filter. Money is tight right now. This will be a 6 month and 3,000 mile OCI. Thank You

Me? I'd get a SuperTech filter and use the Menards card for something else. You'll need something from Menards soon enough if you own a home.

The Purolator Red is their lowest filter, not that it matters since they're all garbage. Purolator has not fixed the tearing issue.

ST is much better.

Also, if money is tight, you can do a full year/6k OCI

I have a Fram Ultra on there now. It only has 6,000 miles on it. But it's been a year and I'm afraid that the Fram Ultra will not be able to come off if I extend it to 18 months?

Did you oil the gasket? :unsure:

If you oiled the gasket and didn't overtighten it, it should come off with no problem. Plus, the Ultra has that grippy end to make it easier :)

I do agree with you on changing the oil and filter at least once a year

I have a Fram Ultra on there now. It only has 6,000 miles on it. But it's been a year and I'm afraid that the Fram Ultra will not be able to come off if I extend it to 18 months?
Lots of people leave oil filters on for more than a year and don't seem to have issues removing them. You have a tool to remove filters?

If you're only doing 3000 OCIs, the Fram EG would be fine (it's actually rated for 10K now and has a silicone ADBV). Also better efficiency than the SuperTech.

@albertson , near Chicagoland? Let me know the vehicle you’re looking for, I may have a filter and oil that works in the garage for you.

The Purolator Red is their lowest filter, not that it matters since they're all garbage. Purolator has not fixed the tearing issue.

ST is much better.

Also, if money is tight, you can do a full year/6k OCI
Purolator boss material is virtually untearable without a cutting device and is excellent in every way (have cut numerous open after numerous miles) except cost. I only buy them on sale. Can't speak for the blue and red cans BUT I have cut open numerous Bosch and motorcraft made by Purolator also with nothing unremarkable. I cut open every filter I use and drive 35k a year for work with 5k mile oil changes and thru inspection have concluded way too much time is spent deciding. Everything except budget filters all hold up just fine for regular intervals.

Purolator boss material is virtually untearable without a cutting device and is excellent in every way (have cut numerous open after numerous miles) except cost. I only buy them on sale. Can't speak for the blue and red cans BUT I have cut open numerous Bosch and motorcraft made by Purolator also with nothing unremarkable. I cut open every filter I use and drive 35k a year for work with 5k mile oil changes and thru inspection have concluded way too much time is spent deciding. Everything except budget filters all hold up just fine for regular intervals.

The Boss is known for tears in the ADBV

So I have $5 worth of Menard's credit and wondering if the Purolater Premium (Red Box) still has the tearing issues. Have they finally fixed the tearing issues? My other option is the $3 Supertech filter. Money is tight right now. This will be a 6 month and 3,000 mile OCI. Thank You
For a 3k mile run, I wouldn't have a problem running a Purolator if I had credit coming. It's such a small percentage that actually tear and would be a one time use for me anyway.

Back