Pure One no longer regarded as good filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Hummm ... could very well be. Labman might really be ChampLabman.
lol.gif

That's actually not bad. It fills in the missing pieces, Champion Labsman. It makes sense
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What Agenda? He is showing he feels Pure One filters are a good value, he did a lot of research into it as well. If you read my thread opening post you'll see my reason for starting this thread.

Happy Easter Bitog Members, Enjoy the Day!!!

I understand why you started this thread. He thinks others have agendas and so it would be safe to reason he does also. It may be to "educate" people about PureOne filters but it is still an agenda.

Glad you understood. I was hoping members would bring to light some facts, and not have the thread turn into a flame war. All in all I think the thread brought up some good information, and for the most part stayed civil.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Hummm ... could very well be. Labman might really be ChampLabman.
lol.gif

That's actually not bad. It fills in the missing pieces, Champion Labsman. It makes sense
thumbsup2.gif

I ought to be fired for using Frams, AC, Purolator, Pronto, and others, and talking about how much better AC used to be than anything else.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
The only reason to look down on a P1 is if you are high on Amsoil or M1 snobbery.

K

I'm high on M1 but DO NOT run their filters, why? there's better out there for less money,yes like the P1!

EaO or M1 EP snobbery, then!

@daman: I'm with you--I use the EaO myself at the moment because I want 25K mi OCI and didn't want to hunt down a FleetGuard, but I recommend P1 to anybody who will listen!

K

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yes the picture shows the media attach as marginal. Also you can bring Gary into it as well. No one from Amsoil says P1 is a bad filter, and Gary only said it can become more restrictive than an EaO with extended OCI's.

I hardly call that bias and your silly reference to the 4-ball test is about what?? Come on man, that's lame.

Sorry to interject, but here's my take as an uninterested bystander. I don't think that the comments were a slam on you; they didn't seem that way to me as an objective reader. I think his point was that anecdotal evidence and irrelevant testing procedures can be used to verify whatever results one wishes to have verified.

You buy one P1 and it's defective, there may be a problem. You buy 999 more, and they're all fine, the problem seems a lot smaller. You buy 999 more, and they're all defective, then there is a serious problem.

Anecdotal evidence tends to favour emotional bias. My brother once brought one Lincoln Town Car from his cab fleet for me to change his oil. He brought the filter and the oil. I did my thing, made sure the gasket came off with the filter, cleaned up, lubed the new gasket, and so forth. He starts it up, and we have oil everywhere. It's coming from the filter. I don't even remember what brand it was, but I do recall it was not Fram. I told him to take this thing and toss it in the garbage, gave him my keys and told him to come back with a Motorcraft FL-1A, since I knew it would work.

So, what happened? Was it a bad brand? A defective single filter? I know I was mad, but not mad enough to recall which brand filter it was and to put them on my permanent black list.

Filters are manufactured parts, and manufactured parts can be defective. We all like to gripe about Fram, deserved or otherwise. I like Wix and Motorcraft. That being said, I'm not naive enough to think that Wix, Motorcraft, FleetGuard, Bosch, Purolator, AC-Delco, M1, Denso, and AMSOIL have never let a defective filter leave the assembly line and wind up in a consumer's hands.

The 4-ball test provides a certain result. The question has always been whether or not its relevant to the rigours that oils face in the real world. Under normal, room temperature conditions, one litre of 0w-30 oil will tend to vacate a funnel faster than one litre of 15w-40. What does this prove about the quality of the oil? Nothing.

You pointed out yourself that there's no one best filter out there. That is quite likely the most accurate, honest statement made by anyone in this thread.

Well Alrighty then. thread beat to death. I used the Pure ones and always love to find the the slightly larger filer than Fac Specs to use. And if you search They are Out There!

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
EaO or M1 EP snobbery, then!

@daman: I'm with you--I use the EaO myself at the moment because I want 25K mi OCI and didn't want to hunt down a FleetGuard, but I recommend P1 to anybody who will listen!

K

Nothing wrong with that i use AC UPFs and Fleetguards(StrataPore) mostly and have P1 and NG on hand for family cars and for my own occasional use.

Without a doubt the Pure One's cartridge filter for my car is not very good. Even the FRAM's are better. They had issues with the P1's collapsing and since added some plastic reinforcement inside but the media is still poor and not many pleats.

The M1, AC Delco, K&N are the best and the FRAM is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back