Pure One no longer regarded as good filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on the other board but I am not a member. I'm too lazy to join I guess and I enjoy it here more :)

Anyway it seems the Pure One filters are under attack in a thread, as being restrictive, poorly constructed, media rips, etc, etc. Just wondering what you guys think?

I read some testing that Bob did back in the day, but as stated on the other board it seems the testing was never perfected.

My goal here is to strike some good debate, not a flame war. Thanks

Must be thouse guys changinge from that Pennzoil "wax" oil afetr 5 year and running M1 and clogging up everything in the sludge cleanup
wink.gif
That said I ran a purolater made bosch with filtec and it did have a different restricted flow on my yaris (v classic or the wix or NAPA jobber grade) and had to pull it (after only 2 days in service) this winter running 0w-30 M1. The restriction did keep the VVTi cam phasing in full retard which gave the car AWESOME highway power - I wish I had a "dial" on the dash to select cam phasing!

Its the same as Frams and Supertechs here.
06.gif

ALL filters have problems here and there. When you are making millions of something "issues" are going to show up. As far as being restrictive and poorly constructed no. IF the filter works (which all of them DO) who cares how it is made.

Same with the idiot mindset that only this group oil should be run and the rest is garbage. These mindsets are what is destroying BITOG from the factual web site it USED to be.

Pure ones are very good filters. As is everything else.

Take care, Bill

Goes to show you that internet forums can't be trusted for sound truth at times. Much mis information spews out that is often taken for fact.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
06.gif

ALL filters have problems here and there. When you are making millions of something "issues" are going to show up. As far as being restrictive and poorly constructed no. IF the filter works (which all of them DO) who cares how it is made.

Same with the idiot mindset that only this group oil should be run and the rest is garbage. These mindsets are what is destroying BITOG from the factual web site it USED to be.

Take care, Bill

Well said Bill. Much respect to you from seeing this. I agree wholeheartedly. It seems to be the same idiot mindset against different auto makers on this site.

Pure One can be overrated. Especially when people claim it's the BEST filter. (hint: there is NO best filter). But you know how people are, they seem to have to claim their product choice the best at everything. If you think EaO fans are nuts, just watch the P1 fans go nuts!

You can (and maybe) can start the same debate here as Noria.

A bis B and a big S....trying to be nice.
I got introduced to PureOnes several years ago by guys in the sport motorcycle
community where they are very popular due to their
sturdiness, high quality filter material, valve design
and cost that is about half of any other filter with
the same quality of construction.
If they are the filter of choice for many bikes with
1 liter engines that turn 12-14,0000 rpm and produce
160 horsepower, with high volume low pressure systems
for 5-6000 mile OCIs, that speaks for itself.
If they are preferred in those type applications
they are more than up to the task in any motor they
build an application for.

Last edited:
It is possible the Pure Ones were more restrictive in the past and the new owners have improved them. Their is still no proof they are worth running.

I have been active on net forums for over 10 years. The quality of advice and level of discourse has declined drastically especially in the last 5 years. People post opinions backed with nothing but their vehemence, ''such and such is junk''. There is also astrotruff, those selling something posing as satisfied users.

It seems some people feel they are free to bash everything else, but it is highly offensive to post facts detrimental to Purolator.

Notice how Soobs report of the media seperated from the glue in a Pure One quietly died.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I read on the other board but I am not a member. I'm too lazy to join I guess and I enjoy it here more :)

Anyway it seems the Pure One filters are under attack in a thread, as being restrictive, poorly constructed, media rips, etc, etc. Just wondering what you guys think?

I read some testing that Bob did back in the day, but as stated on the other board it seems the testing was never perfected.

My goal here is to strike some good debate, not a flame war. Thanks
Since you asked for my opinion I will give it. I wasn't going to join the other forum so I'm glad you brought it up.
wink.gif

I noticed on the other forum that there is a thread comparing the Amsoil filter to a Pure One. A ludicrous comparison/proposition to begin with, comparing a $15+ (not sure of the exact price, correct with exact price) or whatever it is, to a filter that can be readily obtained for

I also noticed that it was an Amsoil dealer, who also just happens to be a member here, that first pointed out what he termed as a "marginal" P1. This one pic, came from a recent post here by a member, and showed an issue with a couple of pleats at the endcap seal, and hardly catastrophic.

Thought it was curious that an Amsoil dealer would be first to point out a marginal P1 to make his point about a P1 on that thread. Strange (or perhaps not) to point out that one recent pic and ignore all the positive non marginal P1's that also have been recently posted here. Unbiased? Sadly, there's no 4 ball wear test for the P1 to pass.
56.gif

Also Captain Kirk chimed in on the thread to dump on the P1, and everyone reading this board knows what scam he's running. Hardly unbiased.

As for the flow of the P1, Busa has posted results of P1 flow test data innumerable times, showing the P1 NOT to have restrictive flow. I'm not going to link to it because if you're really interested and unbiased you can search and find it here yourself.

As for the construction, media and filtration etc. In short, if you can find a P1 comparable filter with the filtration efficiency, construction and availablity for <$4.75 everyday you should buy it. I know can't.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I also noticed that it was an Amsoil dealer, who also just happens to be a member here, that first pointed out what he termed as a "marginal" P1. This one pic, came from a recent post here by a member, and showed an issue with a couple of pleats at the endcap seal, and hardly catastrophic.

Thought it was curious that an Amsoil dealer would be first to point out a marginal P1 to make his point about a P1 on that thread. Strange (or perhaps not) to point out that one recent pic and ignore all the positive non marginal P1's that also have been recently posted here. Unbiased? Sadly, there's no 4 ball wear test for the P1 to pass.
56.gif

You can use my name, it's OK.

Yes the picture shows the media attach as marginal. Also you can bring Gary into it as well. No one from Amsoil says P1 is a bad filter, and Gary only said it can become more restrictive than an EaO with extended OCI's.

I hardly call that bias and your silly reference to the 4-ball test is about what?? Come on man, that's lame.

Why would I bring in GA, he's long said the P1 is a great bang for the buck filter. Perhaps you need backup?

Never had any issue with Amsoil, simply reporting what was posted on the other thread, any lies there?

Sorry your so sensitive to the 4 ball wear test comment. Guess my comment is as lame as the test.

06.gif

Take care, Bill

Well, If base stock does not matter shouldn't we all use Group I oils and forget about Groups II, III, IV, and V? I have yet to see a Group I or even Group II that meets GM4718M. Just saying...surely it makes some difference....

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Why would I bring in GA, he's long said the P1 is a great bang for the buck filter. Perhaps you need backup?

Never had any issue with Amsoil, simply reporting what was posted on the other thread, any lies there?

Sorry your so sensitive to the 4 ball wear test comment. Guess my comment is as lame as the test.

Gary was in the same thread and he made his comments clear. I agree, great bang for the buck - not great for extended OCI's. Read the thread.

I didn't say you lied, you just sorta attacked me without using my name. You attempted to make my comment seem non factual when the photo shows the non attached media. Same with the 4-ball test thing. Non really relevant, but a lame attack for exactly what purpose?

IMO for 10,000 or so miles as others are stating the Pure One is as good or better than the Amsoil filter. Take the filter out to 25,000 miles and the Amsoil filter has the edge. Honestly IMO I would rather use two Pure One filters than one Amsoil filter if I were going 25,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: rewote500
06.gif

Take care, Bill

Well, If base stock does not matter shouldn't we all use Group I oils and forget about Groups II, III, IV, and V? I have yet to see a Group I or even Group II that meets GM4718M. Just saying...surely it makes some difference....

I don't think that's Bill's point. He is pointing out use what is required for your car. If you need to use a certain product , weighted oil, or even synthetic oil. If it meets the requirements of the OEM then use it. People get caught up in the groups of oil and it isn't a necessity. There is more to oil then the base oil. I use pennzoil yellow bottle, Why because it works well with my applications. I used synthetic and noticed no differences between either oils for my car. I have used fram, pure one, AAP filters, and now OEM toyota. Use what you feel is best for your application. But don't bring Bill down for stating a good point. He has been here for a long time and has plenty of experience in these areas. If you manual calls for 5w30 dino, SM/GF4 use it. If it calls for a special oil filter use it. But there are a lot of cars on the road that use these products with no problems.

06.gif

Take care, Bill

Pretty my thought to a T.

My only worry with a filter is how long one can hang in for a long OCI...

Originally Posted By: rewote500
06.gif

Take care, Bill

Last I checked we were talking about filters, not oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back