Pure One no longer regarded as good filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually forwarded those photos to Champ and yet have not received a email from them. I do not know what happened with those filters but I beleive there is some kind of manufacturing process failure that happened.

Thanks for the kind words, demarpaint and sayjac. I tried to hate the P1 at first (being a strong M1 fan), but river_rat's testing confirmed the filtration truly was class leading.

Yes, labman, I'm afraid there are BITOG "moles" who conceal their affiliations and try to influence our threads. Honestly, it's not that dark and ominous to me. It's just normal market forces at work trying to make sales. Fortunately, most BITOG members have a healthy dose of skepticism and independent thought.

Last edited:
I've only been here a short while, but it seems the fan-boy-ism of oil filters changes quite frequently :) One month PureOne is great, another week, WIX is great, another week or so, Bosch is the best, etc. :) All we can really go by is personal experience, and those test results (basically claims.....take it with a grain of salt lol) mentioned on the filter box and/or product webpage.

I buy an oil filter based on construction, quality, reliability, performance, and cost/value (not necessarily in that order).

I gather associated data to support each factor listed above. If PureONEs were too restrictive for instance, then I probably wouldn't use them. In fact, their flow restrictiveness was always a big question in the back of my mind until I got Purolator to run a flow vs. PSID test on the very filter I use on my Vette. After seeing the flow data, it sealed the deal for me on using PureONEs.

The other factors listed - construction, quality and reliability - I gather from BITOG members inputs on cut-open filters and use experiences. There are many filters that are in the same leage as the PureONE, but when you look at price/value it puts the winner as PureONE for me. These are the reasons I like PureONEs ... if Amsoil or M1s, or Royal Purple filters were in the $5 ~ 6 range, then it would be a tough choice between them all for me.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T

Yes, labman, I'm afraid there are BITOG "moles" who conceal their affiliations and try to influence our threads. Honestly, it's not that dark and ominous to me. It's just normal market forces at work trying to make sales. Fortunately, most BITOG members have a healthy dose of skepticism and independent thought.

I have nothing but contempt for anybody that lies. If you really like a product and are wanting to share the Kool Aid, fine. If you are being paid to do the job, you need to look up to see snakes bellies. That it is common is an indictment of our society.

I have a lot of respect for Johnny, the Amsoil reps, and others that reveal their affiliation and avoid excessive hype.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IMO for 10,000 or so miles as others are stating the Pure One is as good or better than the Amsoil filter. Take the filter out to 25,000 miles and the Amsoil filter has the edge. Honestly IMO I would rather use two Pure One filters than one Amsoil filter if I were going 25,000 miles.

I simply can't get past using a filter past 10k....

I'll take it that it also means you can't use an oil past 10k, too, correct?

I'd probably give the short answer like this:

PureOne is an up to one year/15k filter when mileage is between 10k=15k/year. Below that you're probably in short service and need to change the filter out with the oil at shorter intervals. This makes the added expense of a PureOne unnecessary over a cheaper offering.

An EaO is a one year/25k filter regardless of service encountered. As we found out with some Toy and Lexus applications, that wasn't possible under all services.

Here is what I said Gary:

IMO for 10,000 or so miles as others are stating the Pure One is as good or better than the Amsoil filter. Take the filter out to 25,000 miles and the Amsoil filter has the edge. Honestly IMO I would rather use two Pure One filters than one Amsoil filter if I were going 25,000 miles.

For 1 year service or 15,000 miles as you said I think the Pure one is a better filter. I'd swap it at 12,500 at the halfway point. For 25,000 miles two Pure One filters would be better than one Amsoil Filter. That's my opnion. I don't do extended drains, I fall into severe service. Different animal. I also change the filter with the oil. But that's just me.

I would like to know who these stealth paid representatives are here for Purolator and P1 are on these threads. If I happen to be one of them, then perhaps you could make sure that they get me my check(s). Haven't seen any, but the extra cash would sure come in handy.
lol.gif

If you suspect anyone then you should report it to the mods or powers that be, as I believe that it is a violation of forum policy.

It couldn't just be that some think the P1 and Classic to be a solid product and a good value. Nah, that's not possible.
33.gif

OTOH, making generalized accusations using innuendo and having an obvious agenda also seems somewhat common. Though I wouldn't say it's any indictment of our society, it is oil filters we're talking about.

I find labman's comments hypocritical. As far as I can tell none of the P1 advocates have any bias. Labman has a clear bias against Purolator's ownership. By his own standard, he should just say he won't use a filter brand that isn't American owned, and that would be fine. But instead he tries to find quality issues or shortcomings with P1's that don't exist while defending real issues in other filters. That is really no different than being biased because you have a business connection to a certain brand.

Originally Posted By: labman
I have nothing but contempt for anybody that lies. If you really like a product and are wanting to share the Kool Aid, fine. If you are being paid to do the job, you need to look up to see snakes bellies. That it is common is an indictment of our society.

I have a lot of respect for Johnny, the Amsoil reps, and others that reveal their affiliation and avoid excessive hype.

labman, I wish there were more ethics in the business world, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. It impacts every consumer purchase from homes to cars to motor oil. I also have a lot of respect for guys like Johnny and Pablo. You always know exactly where they stand.

sayjac, I don't have anybody in mind, nor am I very good at spotting phonies. Perhaps I don't have a suspicious enough mind or haven't been burned enough. It just stands to reason that wherever big money is at stake, people will try to influence their choices. If Big Oil did NOT have anybody planted on BITOG, that would be a real shocker.

No, it's not always clear who has a personal vs. business agenda. I'm sure innocent people have been falsely accused here, while some guilty people have gotten away with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
I would like to know who these stealth paid representatives are here for Purolator and P1 are on these threads. If I happen to be one of them, then perhaps you could make sure that they get me my check(s). Haven't seen any, but the extra cash would sure come in handy.
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif
... yeah, some extra cash for all the research would be nice, huh?

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Originally Posted By: labman

labman, I wish there were more ethics in the business world, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. It impacts every consumer purchase from homes to cars to motor oil. I also have a lot of respect for guys like Johnny and Pablo. You always know exactly where they stand.

sayjac, I don't have anybody in mind, nor am I very good at spotting phonies. Perhaps I don't have a suspicious enough mind or haven't been burned enough. It just stands to reason that wherever big money is at stake, people will try to influence their choices. If Big Oil did NOT have anybody planted on BITOG, that would be a real shocker.

No, it's not always clear who has a personal vs. business agenda. I'm sure innocent people have been falsely accused here, while some guilty people have gotten away with it.

+1

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I find labman's comments hypocritical. As far as I can tell none of the P1 advocates have any bias. Labman has a clear bias against Purolator's ownership. By his own standard, he should just say he won't use a filter brand that isn't American owned, and that would be fine. But instead he tries to find quality issues or shortcomings with P1's that don't exist while defending real issues in other filters. That is really no different than being biased because you have a business connection to a certain brand.
+1 Now that you mention it, could well be there is some business connection to Champ Labs.
21.gif
Since accusations are being tossed around, could be a shill for Champ Labs. Look at the posts, Champ does no wrong, Purolator is "junk". Speaks for itself.

Purolator (and other metal constructed) Kool-Aid is a lot easier to swallow than Ecore Kool-Aid.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
+1 Now that you mention it, could well be there is some business connection to Champ Labs.
21.gif
Since accusations are being tossed around, could be a shill for Champ Labs. Look at the posts, Champ does no wrong, Purolator is "junk". Speaks for itself.

Hummm ... could very well be. Labman might really be ChampLabman.
lol.gif

I think the hardest thing to do sometimes is look in the mirror. It is always hard to see what you do not want to see.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I buy an oil filter based on construction, quality, reliability, performance, and cost/value (not necessarily in that order).

I gather associated data to support each factor listed above. If PureONEs were too restrictive for instance, then I probably wouldn't use them. In fact, their flow restrictiveness was always a big question in the back of my mind until I got Purolator to run a flow vs. PSID test on the very filter I use on my Vette. After seeing the flow data, it sealed the deal for me on using PureONEs.

The other factors listed - construction, quality and reliability - I gather from BITOG members inputs on cut-open filters and use experiences. There are many filters that are in the same leage as the PureONE, but when you look at price/value it puts the winner as PureONE for me. These are the reasons I like PureONEs ... if Amsoil or M1s, or Royal Purple filters were in the $5 ~ 6 range, then it would be a tough choice between them all for me.

I see you as a cost/"value" person when it comes to filters.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What Agenda? He is showing he feels Pure One filters are a good value, he did a lot of research into it as well. If you read my thread opening post you'll see my reason for starting this thread.

Happy Easter Bitog Members, Enjoy the Day!!!

I understand why you started this thread. He thinks others have agendas and so it would be safe to reason he does also. It may be to "educate" people about PureOne filters but it is still an agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back