Pure one makes greater effiencey claim than stp Extended life and fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by kschachn
Here we go with more troll posts. It didn't take long, you just can't help yourself for some reason.

Seems that way. Lots of posts that are anti Fram and other misinformation like the PureOne efficiency being so much better, and that all bypass valves leak, etc.

Reregistration through the back door is my guess.

That's in correct. I'm just having fun and posting as I learn. Sorry if you don't like my questions. I don't hate fram just had a bad experience with one on one of my cars. Other than that I haven't said anything bad about them. I reason that the top end bypass and a built-in bypass seems like a better design to me in my opinion. Sorry if I haven't praised your favorite filter. I'm entitled to my opinion.
As far as Purolator, I just posted what I found. If the 5 micron rating is not absolute as you said(I believe ya) then I understood that wrong. Still it's what the specification page said >5 and that's what I posted. Nothing made up. I question the way stp and fram list their micron rating as their both the same and I haven't seen another list it that way or I would question it too.
As far as you kschachn, you just came out of nowhere calling me names. I never said a word to you.
First and last words I ever will right here.

Yeah but Purolators cellulose bypass valves are quite leaky.
lol.gif

Not aimed at anyone, just a general comment...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
lol.gif

Ok Purolator is bad here, I get it.
Yeah cellulose bypass filter, right. It does have a dome end bypass valve so it seems to me it most surley will allow previously filtered debris to re-enter as will all those other filters with a dome end bypass while bypassing, as far as I figure. At least it doesn't use a sperate unit bypass gadget like some others.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Sorry if I haven't praised your favorite filter. I'm entitled to my opinion.

More JJ Dynomite evidence right there. How would you know anybodies favorite filter being a new member.

More JJ Dynomite evidence right there. How would you know anybodies favorite filter being a noob member.

Kinda blatantly obvious.
Dont hate brother it's gonna make you older before your time.

lol.gif

Yeah cellulose bypass filter, right. It does have a dome end bypass valve so it seems to me it most surley will allow previously filtered debris to re-enter as will all those other filters with a dome end bypass while bypassing, as far as I figure. At least it doesn't use a sperate unit bypass gadget like some others.

It was a joke as in the media tears so the oil bypasses the filter completely. There is hate for other brands too. Despite this controversy there is no failed engines we know of because of the tears found in some filters. Use whatever.

Last edited:

More JJ Dynomite evidence right there. How would you know anybodies favorite filter being a noob member.

Kinda blatantly obvious.
Dont hate brother it's gonna make you older before your time.

No, its not "blatantly obvious" from the minimum comments I've made since you started posting in this forum.

Don't worry about me, radar is working and tracking fine.

lol.gif

It was a joke as in the media tears so the oil bypasses the filter completely. There is hate for other brands too. Despite this controversy there is no failed engines we know of because of the tears found in some filters. Use whatever.

Oh ok lol, gotcha.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Originally Posted by SirTanon
If I say I have a filter that has 99% efficiency, and then in a different sentence, I also say the filter can filter down to 5 microns, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can filter @ 99% efficiency @ 5 microns.

All it means is that at SOME micron level, it has 99% efficiency, and that at 5 microns, it is capable of at least SOME filtration. For all you know, it's 99% efficient at >100 microns and 1% efficient at 5 microns.

... also, FYI:

"According to Fram's Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley, dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances. Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29...our-oil-filter/

�Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it's 94 percent efficient.�

Not able to find ratings @ 5 microns so far. Perhaps this would be a question for Jay.

I believe Jay said Fram Ultra was 80% @ 5 microns. Can't find the quote but have seen it here before.

Uncle Wilbur is a high-ranking official in the Air Force. He says at Area 51 is housing aliens from a parallel universe. In that universe > is =@.
Seems to me what I just said it's about equal 2 some people's sense of logic. Or should I say that denial is not a river in Egypt.

Most people would say thank you for providing the info just asked for and understand that they may be typing on the go but if you want to be dense go ahead

Originally Posted by SirTanon
If I say I have a filter that has 99% efficiency, and then in a different sentence, I also say the filter can filter down to 5 microns, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can filter @ 99% efficiency @ 5 microns.

All it means is that at SOME micron level, it has 99% efficiency, and that at 5 microns, it is capable of at least SOME filtration. For all you know, it's 99% efficient at >100 microns and 1% efficient at 5 microns.

... also, FYI:

"According to Fram's Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley, dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances. Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29...our-oil-filter/

�Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it's 94 percent efficient.�

Not able to find ratings @ 5 microns so far. Perhaps this would be a question for Jay.

I believe Jay said Fram Ultra was 80% @ 5 microns. Can't find the quote but have seen it here before.

Uncle Wilbur is a high-ranking official in the Air Force. He says at Area 51 is housing aliens from a parallel universe. In that universe > is =@.
Seems to me what I just said it's about equal 2 some people's sense of logic. Or should I say that denial is not a river in Egypt.

Most people would say thank you for providing the info just asked for and understand that they may be typing on the go but if you want to be dense go ahead

Thanks for trying.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Warranty Details (30 DAY REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE)

If it tears in the first 30 days you can get you money back...

If you figure it out in a month which most people don't do enough miles for, and if you cut it open I'm sure that voids the warranty so how are you supposed to know it was torn and make a warranty claim?

Last edited:

If you figure it out in a month which most people don't do enough miles for, and if you cut it open I'm sure that voids the warranty so how are you supposed to know it was torn and make a warranty claim?

I guess I was poking fun at it, who only warranties their oil filters for 30 days, most warranties I see for oil filters are for the service period recommended by the manufacturer.

Yep ... totally useless "warranty". Must be nice to produce defective products and just sweep it all under the rug.

I guess I was poking fun at it, who only warranties their oil filters for 30 days, most warranties I see for oil filters are for the service period recommended by the manufacturer.

Sorry that wasn't aimed at you, just sort of a general response to such a ridiculous warranty.
cheers3.gif

I drive a LOT, and it still takes me about 3 months to complete an OCI (7,500 miles). Even if I just did 5,000 miles, it would still take 2 months. a 30-day warranty is pretty much useless on a product like this.

Originally Posted by MParr
I'll pass on the Pure One and STP Extended Life oil filters they are essentially the same filter. Some are now being made in China. Mann+Hummel has a pretty big footprint in China. I will buy the STP Maximum Life when they are on special with oil, at Auto Zone. The STP Maximum Life is a Purolator Boss.

Unfortunately the STP MAX LIFE filters are now being made in Mexico and there appears to be some changes to the materials used. I noticed that the O ring is no longer black in color and is now the same reddish / orange color as the one on their Extended Life filters and also now comes with that plastic wrap covering the opening... I went out to a couple AZ's in my area and was able to find 3 remaining USA made MAX LIFE filters and bought them.. and yes you are correct... the original USA made Max Life filters are essentially Puro BOSS filters. Great stuff.

Originally Posted by johnnyz73
Originally Posted by MParr
I'll pass on the Pure One and STP Extended Life oil filters they are essentially the same filter. Some are now being made in China. Mann+Hummel has a pretty big footprint in China. I will buy the STP Maximum Life when they are on special with oil, at Auto Zone. The STP Maximum Life is a Purolator Boss.

Unfortunately the STP MAX LIFE filters are now being made in Mexico and there appears to be some changes to the materials used. I noticed that the O ring is no longer black in color and is now the same reddish / orange color as the one on their Extended Life filters and also now comes with that plastic wrap covering the opening... I went out to a couple AZ's in my area and was able to find 3 remaining USA made MAX LIFE filters and bought them.. and yes you are correct... the original USA made Max Life filters are essentially Puro BOSS filters. Great stuff.

Isnt Purolator made in US too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back