Purchased New Impact Wrench today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a Snap On MG725 1/2" drive impact wrench today. Anyone have any experience with this unit? Had intentions of buying a new torque wrench for work but the one I was interested in was on back order and ended up walking off the Snap On truck with this beast instead.
MG725 Features:
• Unit delivers an outstanding 1,190 ft. lb. (1,613 N•m) of Bolt Break Away Torque!
• 810 ft. lb. (1,094 N•m) of Recommended Working Torque
• One piece precision machined magnesium housing yields an extremely durable lightweight, balanced unit with minimal vibration. Superior control with less user fatigue and longer tool life.
• 8 vane rotor provides faster motor start up and greater performance with more torque.
• Single chamber motor provides greater power and speed to remove stubborn bolts.
• Muffler kit reduces noise for quiet performance. Work longer with less auditory strain.
• Patented cushion grip ribbed handle cover resists most shop chemicals and is easily field replaced. Helps insulate tool from cold and reduces vibration.
• Patented tip valve trigger provides increased air flow and greater tool control.
• Twin hammer impact mechanism is durable and hard hitting. Fewer parts, less down time.
• Sealed in oil bath lubrication with Red Line Synthetic Oil always keeps impact mechanism lubricated for less wear.
• Slim style nose is ideal for working in restricted access areas.
• Anvil stop feature - Anvil stops when trigger is released. Prevents anvil from throwing nuts and sockets.
• Cushion grip trigger button delivers improved comfort and control.
• 2 Year Warranty.

I have had my beauty for a little over 3 years. It has actually gotten a little better with use. It is an absolute beast!

Which color did you go with??

I had a Snap On years ago. Great air tools IIRC it was either an IR or CP made to their specs.
The specs on this one are top shelf, you can go wrong with Snap On, i like it.
If you don't mind me asking how much did this one set you back?

Gabe I went with red it never crossed my mind to get a different color until I was already off of the truck.

Trav it set me back $400 it was on sale normally $459

They are the best, I had a few crank pulley bolts that we couldn't break loose with our 2 guns (Ingersol Ti, and Mac) and our neighbors Snap on blasted it off. I bought the electric impact a f ew years ago when I did BMW roadside and Im very happy with it. $600 though.

I bought it for work mainly for doing tire rotations I originally had intended on buying Snap On's BRUTUS3R250D torque wrench but it was on back order so I picked up the impact wrench. It feels like a beast I cant wait to get to work tomorrow and play with my new toy! My bosses look at me like I'm crazy when I bring my own tools into work but I rather work with quality tools and the better the tools I have the better I can perform my job. I refuse to have a quick lube that is not equipped with proper tools, I take to much pride in my work to use sub par tools and have people claim the stigma that exist about quick lubes be true at my place of work.

Great gun no doubt. I've had mine since they first came out. It's only been rebuilt once and gets punished daily. I'm a heavy duty tech and it works great for suspension work where my 3/4" won't fit. I also have the big brother of this gun in 3/4" drive.

The one thing I liked about my IR Ti was the trigger control compared to the snap on.

Don't hammer on the lug nuts for most than "2 clicks" at the highest setting, or else they may be waaay over tightened.
lol.gif

Congrats and have fun...and don't break too many bolts.

You still have to be bonehead to use that wrench to tighten any fastener (well may be except axle nut and crankshaft bolt). Or does it have a setting to reduce the torque in the clockwise direction?

The gun does have a power setting on it vikas. I do agree with u though, it would only take a quick burp to snug wheel end nuts and then running the tq wrench on them. I hate seeing techs zip car tires on with a 1/2" gun super tight.

Vikas the power setting is adjustable as vaboom123 stated. As far as over tightening lug nuts with it as long as you use common sense it is not hard to snug them then use the torque wrench to tighten to desired torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back