PUP in 2020 Ram 2500 Hemi

So the engine is still breaking in up until 75,000 miles (FIVE freakin YEARS of use based on 15k per year) and then outta nowhere, BAM, it’s now considered “high mileage” by the oil companies and needs high mileage oil. 😆🤣

🤨😒 makes sense… makes total sense. 🤦🏻‍♂️
A query about what was presented would probably have been more productive than going off half-cocked.

This wasn't a Mobil advert, they were trending wear metals via UOA's and there was a pronounced downward trajectory for iron per mile until around 75,000 miles when that started to flatten out. The vehicle ran the same oil the entire time.

Found the pic, you can see between 40 and 80,000 miles iron started to flatten out, this continued beyond 80,000 miles as it got flatter still:
1646252792587.jpg

Warranty issues aside, the oil and filter you are running now are perfectly capable of getting that engine to 300K miles and beyond. Other oils and filters may get it further, and it may die before that due to some other reason. I say stay the current course until you see a reason to deviate.
Roger. We’ll see what the next sample says. For the most part, it looks like everything is trending in the right direction. The viscosity is the only thing that looked a little odd.
It is a Ram, if the engine makes 300k, I’m sure everything else will fall apart.

Thanks fellas.
With all that being said, I think I’ll do my next change at 6,000, and see what the viscosity looks like. Right now with the way it has been in the last 2, 10,000 miles seems way too long, unless something changes in a positive direction viscosity wise. Agree or disagree?
The last 1,700 miles of the last oil’s life I was pushing pretty hard. 80mph thru South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana with a trailer and wicked head wind.

So I just received the results from my second OA in my truck. The first was at approximately 4,000 miles, and the second was at approximately 10,000 miles, both well ahead of the OLM. Both using Mopar factory filers. I expected the first one to be high on contaminants since it was “break in” oil. But the second one seems kinda weird. I’m not super familiar with OA’s, but I know people on here are. Is this of any concern? Change more frequently? The second one was after a 1700 mile trip at at 13,500gvw. I do tow a travel trailer often in the summer.
Pics in 3rd post.
Thank you.
Lotsa metal in there. Stay with the oem oil filter and run a shorter oci until the metals come down. Is 0w-40 the oem spec? .02

Lotsa metal in there. Stay with the oem oil filter and run a shorter oci until the metals come down. Is 0w-40 the oem spec? .02
Yes sir.
0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
From what I’ve read from people trying to quiet the “Hemi Tick” with 5W-40, it will throw codes because the MDS and/or cam phaser stuff doesn’t play well with them.

Yes sir.
From what I’ve read from people trying to quiet the “Hemi Tick” with 5W-40, it will throw codes because the MDS and/or cam phaser stuff doesn’t play well with them.
Interesting, thanks.

Yes sir.

Ain’t a chance in a pile of hay that a 5w40 is SO MUCH THICKER then 0w40 that it would trigger codes. 😆🤣 unless that engine is a complete POS and those phasers were designed for like 0w8 but got throw into an engine using a 40 grade and it’s too thick. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Can you explain the "Hemi Tick" and how a specific lubricant can quiet it?

Ain’t a chance in a pile of hay that a 5w40 is SO MUCH THICKER then 0w40 that it would trigger codes. 😆🤣 unless that engine is a complete POS and those phasers were designed for like 0w8 but got throw into an engine using a 40 grade and it’s too thick. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ok.

Can you explain the "Hemi Tick" and how a specific lubricant can quiet it?
I can explain it. As far as how a lubricant can quiet it, I cannot. I can just tell you what I’ve read.
The first generation of new hemi’s and even some newer ones had a ticking noise in the valvetrain. People get freaked out about it because there have been problems with them flattening cams because of lifter failure, supposedly due to either poor lubrcation or a material flaw. Some people have tried to quiet it by using 5w-40. Supposedly, these oils affect the function of the MDS system or VVT, triggering codes.
New Hemi’s like mine make noise at start up, and it has been attributed to the fact that they do not have a gasket between the headers and exhaust pipe. So when they start and while that joint is heating up, they rattle for a few seconds until that connection warms up and creates a seal.
This is just stuff I’ve read. Hopefully the lifter deal has been fixed. Supposedly it has, but time will tell.

Last edited:
I too have a 2020 6.4 gasser. I like it. A lot.

There is a lot of information and opinions on the 6.4 and oil changing.

After talking to a fleet mechanic that maintains a couple hundred 6.4 gas engines in the oil/gas fields, I calmed down.

He said change the oil every 4-5k with any synthetic 0w-40 or 5w-40 with any quality filter and you won't have any issues.

They mostly used bulk 5w-40 synthetic that was for both spark ignition and compression ignition.

I followed his advice. Bought a few boxes of the 12 qt M1 0w-40 and NAPA gold filters and changed factory fill at 1k, 5k, and 10k.

No issues and no worries.

I plan on getting an UOA done at 50k intervals.

Yes sir.
Another vote that whoever is claiming that doesn’t have a clue as to what they’re talking about. That’s not a possible remedy. They’re either imagining it, making it up or it’s pure coincidence.

After talking to a fleet mechanic that maintains a couple hundred 6.4 gas engines in the oil/gas fields, I calmed down.

He said change the oil every 4-5k with any synthetic 0w-40 or 5w-40 with any quality filter and you won't have any issues.

They mostly used bulk 5w-40 synthetic that was for both spark ignition and compression ignition.

I followed his advice. Bought a few boxes of the 12 qt M1 0w-40 and NAPA gold filters and changed factory fill at 1k, 5k, and 10k.

I’m not worried about it. Generally people get on the internet and ***** about the vehicle they have and how it has problems. The other 99% of satisfied owners don’t usually get online to rave about how great their rig is. So it’s probably way overblown.

Good to know.

Oh okay. I don't know what the price is on that PUP but Pennzoil platinum euro 0w-40 is just $25 a jug on wm.com. It's pretty new on the market and has the api sp rating where pup 0w-40 has been around for several years. I'd imagine pp euro and pup 0w-40 are near identical.
lol no

pup 0w40 is the worst of the worst, PPE 0w40 is a decent oil

I can just tell you what I’ve read.
I'm just curious what forum you read everything you wrote about below?

pup 0w40 is the worst of the worst, PPE 0w40 is a decent oil
I think the PUP lineup is where Shell dumps their thinnest base oils, followed by Quaker State ILSAC lubes.

Yes sir.
There has been the odd case where guys with a 5.7L that spec's 5w-20 have run a heavier oil and got the visc out of spec CEL. Former member Clevy ran 0w-40 in his '06 Charger R/T that spec'd 5w-20 and when it was like -35C he managed to get the code. It was fine the rest of the year.

This isn't going to happen on an engine that specs 0w-40 already like the 6.4L, both SRT and non unless you put like 10w-60 in it.

The ECM infers viscosity from oil pressure and temperature, and there's a liberal fudge factor applied to account for shear, variance between oils...etc. That's why a 5w-30 won't set the code in a truck that specs 5w-20.

Most of the time "HEMI Tick" is an exhaust leak. That's been the case for every single one of our work trucks, all of which needed the passenger side manifold planed and new studs installed. That said, these engines don't have super quiet valvetrains, if you look at them and the geometry, it's clear as to why, the setup isn't conducive to whisper quiet operation, and there's nothing wrong with that.

There is the rare case where an engine may have some non-exhaust noise that could be valvetrain, piston slap...etc. That does not mean there is a lifter issue. In fact, the one truck that we had lifter failure on at about 200,000 miles didn't have any sort of tick, it was a "chirp" sound, otherwise, everything sounded normal. This is not unusual for an engine where a lifter has failed (the chirp), but there's a whole lotta lore written about the tick being a failing lifter, and Redline being the silver bullet to "cure" it, despite it being utterly impossible for a mechanical failure already underway to be stopped, or reversed, by oil selection.

I'm just curious what forum you read everything you wrote about below?

I think the PUP lineup is where Shell dumps their thinnest base oils, followed by Quaker State ILSAC lubes.
One of the sites is Ramforumz.
But there’s a multitude of information online.

There has been the odd case where guys with a 5.7L that spec's 5w-20 have run a heavier oil and got the visc out of spec CEL. Former member Clevy ran 0w-40 in his '06 Charger R/T that spec'd 5w-20 and when it was like -35C he managed to get the code. It was fine the rest of the year.

Do you think he wouldn't have gotten the CEL code with 5W-20 at -35C?

Do you think he wouldn't have gotten the CEL code with 5W-20 at -35C?
I think it ignores oil pressure/temp for the first few minutes at a start that cold, and when it hits its trigger point, it looks at those two values. That's likely what triggered it in his case and no, I doubt that he'd have gotten the code on 5w-20 because by the time the oil was being sampled by the ECM it was likely nowhere near -35C.

If you think of it in terms of sliding scale, if you are running a 0w-40 and it's -10C and by the time the ECM feels it is safe to check those parameters, the oil is already at a temperature where there isn't a huge difference between that oil, and say a 5w-20. On the other hand, the further down you go, assuming the interval remains roughly the same, the bigger the difference is going to get right up until you get close to bumping into the CCS/MRV limits for the 5W-xx designation and wax crystal formation takes the 5w-20 into much thicker territory quite rapidly.

Back