2023 Camaro SS 6.2l LT1 engine, Mobil 1 ESPx3 Dexos2 ~3364mi 1yr

Last WIX kit I have, second oil change on the Camaro. OLM was at 12%. First OC was at ~700 mi. 4114 miles on unit (report incorrect).

Can someone chime in if TBN is low? This is mid SAPS Dexos2 oil. I'm trying to gauge if OLM is appropriate since I don't put many miles. Maybe I should change at 20% OLM. No fuel in the report but I'd suspect a small amount. Oil pan smelled heavily of fuel, but that tends to be the trend nowadays with these GDI engines.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 100114.jpg

TBN is fine. Starting TBN for this oil is 7.4. I'd guess the TBN wouldn't get to 1.0 (condemnation) til over 6000 miles.

The engine is still young and shedding factory materials. You'll have a better idea after it's completely broken in (
Based on the viscosity, there was very little fuel in the oil. Starting viscosity for this oil is 13.3 and it only dropped to 12.6.

I see no reason the drop the oil change interval. You should actually be fine increasing it to 4-5k miles, if not more. Time does not affect oil, only miles/hrs of use.

Agree with @himemsys still break-in metals are elevated but still the oil is just fine. Once the wear metals really start coming down then you could run this oil out a bit further over time. The TBN is in great shape with more to spare. Even with 5,000 miles your viscosity would end around 11.81 @100c & that's still a very thick 30 grade.

@haggler Does this GM engine really take 10 quarts of oil?

I have seen guys run Camaros with the 6.2 engine at the drag races .... Sporty performance to say the least.

Agree with @himemsys still break-in metals are elevated but still the oil is just fine. Once the wear metals really start coming down then you could run this oil out a bit further over time. The TBN is in great shape with more to spare. Even with 5,000 miles your viscosity would end around 11.81 @100c & that's still a very thick 30 grade.

@haggler Does this GM engine really take 10 quarts of oil?
yup, spec is 10 quarts but I think its to compensate for not having a dry sump from the c7 z06.

I have seen guys run Camaros with the 6.2 engine at the drag races .... Sporty performance to say the least.
Cars a joy, especially with the manual transmission. I'm using to driving NA japanese cars 6 cylinders or less.....so quite a different rev range of power delivery. Let me put it this way, the fastest car before this I've owned before this was a 2008 Infiniti G37s with the manual. That car's peak torque was 276 ft/lb at 5200 RPM. This 6.2l is putting down nearly 400lb/ft to the wheels at 3k rpm or less. Both those weight about the same too.

That's the highest calcium I've seen on ESP. Seems a little off for a mid-SAPS oil. Or maybe it's just me recalling things incorrectly?

Towards the end I topped off with Castrol 10w30 loose quart i had around, about a half quart. That would explain the titanium too.

Cars a joy, especially with the manual transmission. I'm using to driving NA japanese cars 6 cylinders or less.....so quite a different rev range of power delivery. Let me put it this way, the fastest car before this I've owned before this was a 2008 Infiniti G37s with the manual. That car's peak torque was 276 ft/lb at 5200 RPM. This 6.2l is putting down nearly 400lb/ft to the wheels at 3k rpm or less. Both those weight about the same too.

Lol I sold my 6th Gen SS1LE and got my 6MT G37 Sedan (car seat things). I miss the torque :D

Lol I sold my 6th Gen SS1LE and got my 6MT G37 Sedan (car seat things). I miss the torque :D
I hear you. We're going to start a family soon but I just cant get rid of this thing. Even the G37 coupe had more rear room than this car, but technically a car seat could go in the back. I may pickup a late model honda civic si or used accord/camry when the baby comes.

Woowee! Would love to drive one of these! Also, a zl1 to really throw me back in my seat

Back