Pulled the Camry's valve cover gasket today (big pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Maybe a couple runs of HDEO to clean up what is willing to come off.

Yes, please do this so you can show everyone that HDEO will do absolutely squat for this engine.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014502;p=1#000005

Easy now, 427, remember, it's just oil. . . If I were the owner, I'd figure it would be better to at least try the least intrusive things first. If it doesn't do anything for him, what has he lost?

quote:

Be careful vad, we don't know if GoldenRod took his Thorazine today.
wink.gif

Now 427, you usually don't blunder like that -- what a setup! Those who live in glass motor oil asylums shouldn't be casting stones about others not being on their meds. See my last, immediately above. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

This as I said before is a typical lease car that was using bulk dino and never checked the dipstick. The dino runs were probably 10000 miles and one year. By then the vehicle was down 1.5 quarts. The oil was cooked! Very common sight with lease vehicles.

The car does have a bit of a checkered past, with way more than 1 owner, which makes me think it wasn't always maintained properly.

Bought from your typical yuppie, who didn't appear to know much about cars, for dirt cheap (was his stay-at-home wife's car). The car showed some signs of an incident, but I didn't care, since it was cheap and ran quite nicely and got down the road just fine.

Car has a sticker for one of the small used car lots in town (one of the better ones, but still, they're all the same in the end) Which means it was probably auctioned at some point.

It was probably auctioned because, many years ago it was nearly totaled out in a major t-bone incident in Georgia, I believe. Was apparently deemed rebuildable. I'm not sure what owner the car was on when it got hit, or how it ended up at the little used car lot in Racine. I figure an auction happened.

So, there you go. Long history, almost no maintenance records, and I have to keep it running these days.

quote:

quote:

Maybe a couple runs of HDEO to clean up what is willing to come off.

Yes, please do this so you can show everyone that HDEO will do absolutely squat for this engine.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014502;p=1#000005

LOL, that's after HDEO and....well, I won't say it.

I DID have some dirty filters, though. But I posted the exact sentiments in another...Camry (what's up with Camrys today?) thread earler today.

I'm going to continue being the test dummy (unless I spin a bearing or two) and the Redline is en route.

BTW, that's certainly not the worst I've seen but you want to get that stuff outta there somehow without much hesitation.

[ April 02, 2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

If you run synthetics with this motor in its present condition it will leak. Not a good candidate for synthetics. I would do as Ekpolk and others have said use a quality dino and keep the changes under 5000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
If you run synthetics with this motor in its present condition it will leak.

Not necessarily.
If it is susceptible to leaking, it will do that after the Auto-Rx flushes are done, regardless of dino or synthetic being used.
His biggest problem at the moment is sludge, not a potential leakage.

I was reading on the Mercedes Forum that sludge problems with Toyotas had to do with the engine design. There was also some mention of a gasoline additive that adversely reacted with the oil to cause sludge in certain vehicles. It has nothing whatever to do with the type of oil used in these vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Falcon:
I was reading on the Mercedes Forum that sludge problems with Toyotas had to do with the engine design. There was also some mention of a gasoline additive that adversely reacted with the oil to cause sludge in certain vehicles. It has nothing whatever to do with the type of oil used in these vehicles.

Falcon:

With all due respect, you need to do a little more homework on this. There are several here who've owned one of the sludge-prone Toyota engines, and many of us have researched the problem quite extensively. In my case, I had an 01 Highlander with the 3.0L 1MZ-FE V-6 (in my case, thankfully, no sludge). To boil it down perhaps too far, the development of sludge was the result of a combination of factors. These engines, before they were "upgraded" had heads that ran very hot. They also had some issues with the size of oil passages. Under the right operating circumstances, with lack of attentive care, some of them cooked their oil badly. Oil was/is a factor because some synthetics are better able to cope with the conditions that burned up some dino oils. So no, oils was certainly not a prime cause, by itself, of the sludge, but a dino oil, used for too long, was one of the prime contributors to the problem. I'm not trying to sound like a smart alec, but there are probably better places to learn about the Toyota sludge problem than a Mercedes forum. . . One last thing. When I first learned about this issue, not long after I got the Highlander, I asked the service manager about it. He clearly knew what I was talking about and quickly offered a simple recommendation: use Mobil-1 and don't go over 5k on the oil ever.
cheers.gif

Yes, it's engine design. But that only makes oil selection more critical. My 9-5's rep is so bad, saab now only recommends synth and at a max of 5k. That's for 98-03 models. So yes, type of oil is still important.

I'm just reporting what I've read. It appears that it is a design defect. You have to agree that if it were not for the engine design any oil would have been OK. To me that means that the problem is an engine problem not an oil problem. I also think that perhaps you are generalizing that because your car is OK with Mobil 1 and frequent oil changes that other cars, with perhaps other engines would be likewise. I don't think there is any evidence of that. Here's the link to what I read: http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=149092&page=2
Sorry if I sounded like a know-it-all.

ek and I are AGREEING it's an engine problem. These defects, however, MAKE the oil a problem. The better qualified an oil is to go long intervals (due to stability to the base oil and/or robustness of the additive package) the less problems you are going to have. Sludging is a complex process but the immediate cause is a breakdown in the oil due to the harsh conditions created by the crankcase operating enbironment. The "better" the oil, the longer it's going to be before it breaks down. Sure, I know folks who've run Saabs 5k w/ Mobil1 and still had a sludge buildup in the pan after 100k miles. But I know 50x as many who've suffered various sludgies in the same engine as early as 30k b/c they went long drain on dino in an engine that couldn't handle it. The engine MAKES the oil a problem. This is well-documented.

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
Toyota emblem. Look at 2200 in the picture.

Wow.

When I looked at this thread, it was about CK230s.

Now it's shows Toyota.

Nevermind...
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Easy now, 427, remember, it's just oil. . .

No kidding, Sherlock.

quote:

If I were the owner, I'd figure it would be better to at least try the least intrusive things first. If it doesn't do anything for him, what has he lost?

Why perpetuate a myth and waste this guys time? And if you go back and read the original post, I didn't even quote your name. A little sensitive are we?

quote:

quote:

Be careful vad, we don't know if GoldenRod took his Thorazine today.
wink.gif

Now 427, you usually don't blunder like that -- what a setup! Those who live in glass motor oil asylums shouldn't be casting stones about others not being on their meds. See my last, immediately above. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Take a hike.
rolleyes.gif

Falcon:

I see what you're saying. On one hand, it's not as if these engines have no issues at all and certain oils are "poisoning" them. On the other hand, oil is undeniably a major factor in whether or not one of these engines will sludge up. I guess I'm really just restating what Brian already said.

And by the way,
welcome.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back