Pulled the Camry's valve cover gasket today (big pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synthetic saves you money. And Keeps your engine cleaner to!
lol.gif
Ray H:
cheers.gif

Seriously, use some common sense with your OCI, and stay conservative with these Camry motors.

Do a couple Auto-RX treatments, follow the directions to the letter, and use dino!

Then, stay with dino, do 3,000 mile or 3 month intervals if you do anything but all highway driving . If you do all highway driving for the most part with crazy mileage (like me, 100 miles a day), go on up to 5,000 mile intervals. That's what I do with my 94 Corolla, all on dino. Engine is sparkling clean inside. I wouldn't waste your money with synthetic in this engine, especially since you need to drastically shorten your OCI.

quote:

Originally posted by Jett Rink:
Is anybody reading PulMax's text? He says he currently uses Mobil 1 at 8,000 to 10,000 change intervals.

Mobil 1 wouldn't have caused this; it's the best dang paint thinner on the market.
grin.gif

I want to know what the engine was getting BEFORE Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by PulMax:
The car is a 1996 Camry LE with the 2.2l 5sfe motor, has covered about 112k miles and currently gets Mobil 1 and Denso filters with the OCI somewhere between 8 and 10k miles.

PulMax how much of this engine's life (miles/years) has it been on Mobil 1? Have you ever check the PCV system?

Its a Toyota, you can get another 125K miles out of that engine.

Would Redline oil help clean this up?

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Mobil 1 wouldn't have caused this; it's the best dang paint thinner on the market.

WRONG!
Try RedLine - it provides the best cleaning action.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:
Would Redline oil help clean this up?

It would, but by itself it would take it forever to clean out so much of gunk.

Dino at shorter change intervals is just the ticket for this engine. Listen to OILIE. Synthetic at shorter change intervals would obviously be better but dino will do just the same and cost 70% less. But hey, if you like wasting money, go for it.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

The car is a 1996 Camry LE with the 2.2l 5sfe motor, has covered about 112k miles and currently gets Mobil 1 and Denso filters with the OCI somewhere between 8 and 10k miles.

PulMax how much of this engine's life (miles/years) has it been on Mobil 1? Have you ever check the PCV system?

I keep the PCV in good order.

We've only had the car a few years. I'm not sure what the previous owner was doing.

Drew, we're talking about the Toyota Sludge Monster here!!!
Your advice is not applicable to this case.

quote:

We've only had the car a few years. I'm not sure what the previous owner was doing.

So is it possible the previous owner caused much of what you see here? And is it possible that it was even worse before you started taking care of it?

I suspect that the car wasn't always maintained to the utmost standards.

When I changed the plugs a year ago, I found a couple different brands of sparkplugs and a bunch of rotting rubber in each plug hole. Nice halfassery there...I suspect other things weren't always done right either.

vad, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SLUDGE MONSTER. There's many folks here with Toyota sludgomatics using dino at conservative intervals with sparkly metal inside. It's all about the drain interval. But, like I said before, if you like to waste money and BELIEVE your getting better protection, be my guest
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back