PU & PP Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I've been a long time reader of this forum and have decided to join as I have recently gained an interest in the science behind oil & other lubricants. I hope to learn more about these topics and get a better understanding of how different oils work.

I currently dive a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T and have just switched from dino to synthetic. I chose Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 (couldn't get PP in 5W-30 at Walmart) after reading multiple threads saying it was better than Mobile 1.

Overall I'm very pleased with PU, my engine is less noisy and revs more smoothly. My only concern is that Walmart seems to not stock a lot of this oil, they mostly have Mobil 1. Would Mobile 1 5W-30 EP be a good choice for me if PP or PU isn't available?

I know GDI Turbo engines are really hard on motor oil and I want something that will last me 5000 miles between oil changes. I will stock up on PU 5W-30 this week but if Walmart stops carrying this product, which other synthetic oil found at Walmart would make for a good replacement?

I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic and occasionally like to open the taps (Also I currently have 6000 miles on the odometer).

-Thanks

Last edited:
PU 5w30 or M1 5w30 are both excellent oils and would work just fine for that interval. Both carry HTO-06 approval, which is Honda's very strict turbocharged engine oil spec. I would buy whichever is on sale at the time of your oil change.

It's Mobil....
spankme2.gif

I use M1 and am happy with the UOA's I've done with it. I don't think my vehicle would ever be able to tell the difference between the M1, PP, or PU. IMHO anyone who tells you any one of the 3 oils listed is "better" than the other I'd be skeptical of the rest of what they say.

Wallmart by me always has a good selection of PP and M1 but never PU. Use plane jane M1 or PP and do a few UOA's. I'd start with 6k and move forward from there. I don't see any of these 3 oils not making 6k with plenty add pack and TBN left even with DI.

Welcome!
PU, PP, M1... All very good oils and will work nicely. If you are willing to go outside the box a little, Shell Rotella T6 5w40? Just another option that many in the GDI 2.0T community have been using since the introduction of this engine to the mkt.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I want to repeat what some others have said, that M1, PP, & PU are all excellent choices for your application and there should be no difference between them in a 5k interval.

My three local Walmarts don't stock PU, but they can get it within a day if I order it at the Walmart website and select the "Site to Store" delivery option. There is no charge for delivering site to store, all you do is pick it up at the customer service desk. Check Walmart's website and see if is an option where you are.

I consider M1 and PU equal and interchangeable. Except in 0w40 grade where M1 is better (for now).

PU would be my first choice for your engine principally because it has very low volatility, which should help to limit intake valve deposits.

If WalMart no longer carries PU, I guess you could always go the Amsoil route for low volatility or find another PU source. If those aren't appealing alternatives, just trust Hyundai's DI engineering and go with an HTO 6 oil, probably Mobil1.

don't forget that auto parts stores have monthly specials on oil & filter, which can be a better deal than at Walmart. for 5k oci I also think qsud would be an option and $5 cheaper than PU at wally. a friend of mine has that same car ,& said he likes rotella t6 10w30 synblend during summer as well. I think other synthetics would be good for 5k as well, synpower, castrol, kendall, id use the cheapest at oc time or stock up during sales. imho

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions, I'll stick with PU and switch to PP or M1 when if it isn't available.

I just realized I was so tired this morning I wrote Mobile instead of Mobil.... Would there be any benefit of running M1 extended performance?

Originally Posted By: Swift101
.. Would there be any benefit of running M1 extended performance?

Probably not with a 5k OC interval.

Check out QSUD. Supposedly it's the same as PP, and it meets Dexos1 and HTO-06.

Almost any synthetic 5w30 should be fine.

Rotella T6 (5w40)
M1 (0w40)
Edge w/ti
PU
QSUD
PP
Formula Shell Syn
M1
VSP

Whatever order you'd like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Just keep an extra jug of PU on hand so you'll be ahead if the store is out of stock.

My plan exactly
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back