PT Cruiser transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission in our '04 PT slips and shifts erratically, and now has no reverse (stranded me in the boondocks yesterday). We had this problem some months ago and the dealership claims they "reset the computer", whatever the heck that means. So today we had it towed back to the dealership for them to check it out tomorrow. I'm getting nervous because our drivetrain warranty is about to expire (car has 66K and the warranty runs out at 70K). Have any of you had issues with these Chrysler trannys? The error code is showing P 0700. Thanks.

If you get some canned answer when you go to pick it up then pull aside a mechanic not involved and ask what is really up with the trans. Either that or take it to an indy mechanic and see what they say. Then get it fixed correctly by the dealer.

There might be better transmission codes you need a better computer to access. P0700 just says "transmission computer issues".

I would demand to know the CVIs, Clutch Volume Indices, as they show how shot the trans is. The trans adapts to wear, and the CVIs will show if it (thinks it) is worn out. I would even go so far as to have an independent trans shop scan and record the CVIs while you're under warranty so you have a leg to stand on if you have an existing problem later.

Never experienced that problem.
21.gif

Usually when a 41TE is shot, it is in failsafe mode. It has 2nd and reverse...that's it.

As I understand it, P 0700 means that the transmission control module is "telling" the OBD that it has a trouble code stored.

When in doubt, check the input and output speed sensors on a 41TE. That usually just gets you "limp" mode (2nd gear and reverse only), but worth a check.

I almost wonder if your shifter linkage is landing it in the wrong positions so its not engaging reverse and maybe hitting halfway between neutral and drive?

I think it's good you're getting it in to a dealer before the warranty expires. If they don't do much to repair it, and it fails after the warranty is expired, at least you have some paperwork to show it was a preexisting condition.

I was told today that it appears to be something internal. It'll be a day or so before they get it opened up to find out what the problem is. They also told me it would be covered with the drivetrain warranty. Thanks again for all the great advice!

It's got the 41TE transmission so it probably self-grenaded it-self like they always do.

It's probably the differential pin that got loose, and destroyed itself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
It's got the 41TE transmission so it probably self-grenaded it-self like they always do.

oh come on.... play nice....

The service guy told me he's waiting approval from Chrysler Corp for a new transmission to be installed. From what I was told, if I understand this correctly, the dealership must get approval from Chrysler if more than 70% of the warranty has transpired. So, we're just sitting around waiting for some corporate bean-counter to bestow his blessings upon us.

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: hypervish

oh come on.... play nice....

I'm a Chrysler guy, but in this case he IS playing nice. Or at least playing honest- the 41TE isn't a shining star. They really are pretty reliable after about 2002 or so... but every once in a while they pull the same old tricks. I mutter a prayer every time I walk past my wife's PT. :p

Finally got the car back today (3 weeks in the shop). Chrysler dealership put in a new reman tranny. It was covered under the extended drivetrain warranty, less $100 deductible. That was a close one, as our warranty runs out in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back