Domestic vs. Japanese cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don't think anyone is really making a truly bad car now, if someone did they would be out of business pretty quickly in the "information age".

Wait, so they don't make Jaguars anymore?
shocked2.gif

Having a current-model domestic and a current-model Japanese-made Honda sitting side by side, it's difficult to say that one is arguably better than the other. They both do things well, and both have proven generally problem-free after similar mileage (they're within 10k miles of each other mileage-wise). We'll see about long-term reliability, although I have confidence that both will convey us many more problem-free miles.

I still say, you have to decide what is an acceptable age/milage for any given repairs. Transmission/engine blows before 100k: unacceptable. Transmission/engine blows at 500k: perfectly acceptable. Where does it become acceptable? 150k, 200k, 300k? Likewise, when is an a/c compressor allowed to go, or a wheel bearing, or a ___.

And of course, that limit is a moving target. Or it was, anyhow. It was moving out, but today I think those age/miles are dropping, as manufacturers try to make items which are not over-designed/over-weight/over-costly.

The worst part of imports is likely the rust issues. They're better, but IMO rust issues are still there.

Yes, supton...the issue of parts' lifetime, and of their replacements' quality are real issues...

As for the former I haven't ever burned out a clutch in a car I owned fairly early on (@ 50k miles or so)...that said, kitacamry's 1st owner killed the clutch in less than 90k miles...

...and I've had A/C compressors die here in all-year-round Florida summers after about 7 years...and rubber parts, mounts, gaskets, belts and the like do suffer here in the heat...and OEM versions of these seem to be better than those off-label branded.

...that said, the 2nd clutch install was botched, and it died in a few thousand miles, either from poor work, or inferior parts used by an indie shop...off-label parts have a bad reputation, whether clutch parts or mounts or CVC axles...

Kitacam's 3rd clutch is dealer installed so I'm thinking/hoping it's OEM...it's smooth as silk now and I'm all a hoping for a long life...

That's the thing. One person might expect to have zero repairs inside of 10 years. But they might drive less than 10k/year. That seems reasonable. Another might be upset after four years--but if they drive 50k/year isn't that unreasonable?

It seems that, when these conversations come up, people give this gut-feeling as to if the vehicle was good or not. "I had to repair it--it was junk." "I had to replace engine, transmission and every suspension component--but it was a great car." It seems relatively void of "struts ought to last 100k, unless if you live in NYC", "clutches should go at least 100k", "automatics should last 200k", whatever. Instead, we just toss out personal experiences and attempt to draw conclusions, when we don't even have a line in the sand to measure against.

Back in 2003, we were all told that American cars were as good as Japanese cars.
I got a Saturn ION
Grandma got a T&C Van
we both got screwed.

Anyway, it isn't as simple as one being bad and one being good.

1981-1984 The Nissan Maxima was a very good long lasting car. 1985-1988 sucked big time. 1989-today were great.
1983-1994 The Nissan Sentra was excellent. 1995-2004 many of them were not good. Now, I don't know.
Meanwhile, it is hard to number how many T&C vans DIDN'T suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back