stupid people vs luxury cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing that people will drop STUPID! cash on a "luxury" car, heck, ANY CAR...but can' t find 10 seconds to check the oil... i remember growing up, my dad saying check the oil / coolant level / tire pressure every weekend... thats the owners "job", and sometimes you catch little problems before they get big...

I knew a girl who bought a brand new CIVIC back in the 90's, drove it for 2 years, then blew the engine... when asked about maintenance, she responded yes, I put gas in it every week... she had never changed the oil...!

Honda said SORRY, not gonna cover that.... and she proceeded to tell everyone she could about how HONDA was the worst brand ever...don't ever buy one of those, they barely last 2 years...!

More and more people know less and less about cars... kind of sad.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
I find it amusing that people will drop STUPID! cash on a "luxury" car, heck, ANY CAR...

The thing is, the car in question was used/CPO that came off lease. These cars drop a lot in value during those first 2-3 years. And if the second owner bought it on some extended payment plan, then they really did not drop "STUPID! cash" on it. The seller made sure to put them on a monthly payment plan that they could swallow, even if that means having to make that payment for the next 7-8 years. Yes, people are stupid and don't look at TCO. The wake up call happens when it's time to bring the vehicle for service or buy a new set of tires for it.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Cars do come with an oil level monitor-it,s called a dip stick.

Not all cars come with one. My S600 has only the monitor which I call up every time I fill up (old habit). Should I wish to double check the level sensor, I can purchase a "special service tool" which looks remarkably similar to a dipstick, except that it's not calibrated to this engine's sump, so you have to convert the level in MM to the add/fill marks using a look up in the workshop information system.

For all your measuring needs, we use this for the trans in our car which is sealed. A great product, very versatile...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-TOOL-9336A-DIPSTICK-SPECIAL-TOOL-R1-S11-B1-/121314666117

Stupid people are everywhere.

The GL story is really dumb since Mercedes has a low oil level sensor that goes off and warns you when its at the bottom mark of the dip stick. So no damage done. She must have ignored it for thousands of miles, yelling at her to add oil or service it, than at the end the low oil pressure warnings would be flashing.

Morons.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Stupid people are everywhere.

The GL story is really dumb since Mercedes has a low oil level sensor that goes off and warns you when its at the bottom mark of the dip stick. So no damage done. She must have ignored it for thousands of miles, yelling at her to add oil or service it, than at the end the low oil pressure warnings would be flashing.

Morons.

Feel kind of bad... for the SUV!

"... then at the end...! ". The engine came to a screeching death... OUCH!

Last edited:
Yeah, people are morons for buying these things as well. My attorney abuses his leased E350 like this with maybe one oil change.

All you need to do is see the VMI before buying a used Mercedes. If it doesn't have regular and proper service on it pass.

Their is no excuse for running out of oil, the car tells you very loudly when your at the min mark and keeps reminding you in a very stern German fashion.

It's entirely their fault that the engine blew up. Why would you not check the oil in 16K miles? I understand it's a newer vehicle, but still. They are also pretty fiscally irresponsible if they have a $1000 /mo car payment.

Considering they probably paid $35k for it $1k a month would be a 36 month loan which is about right.

I know a lot of people hate nice cars here but come on, a new pickup costs more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Every GM vehicle in our fleet will flash the OLM indicator when you are a little more than a quart low.

That said, people are all about blaming someone/something else for their own stupidity.

6k past the change interval, warned by the dashboard, yet completely ignored it. As my good friend Ron White says "You just can't fix stupid"!

The factory filled of my E430 passed the OLM by about 600-700 miles. The warning was on the dashboard every time the car was started, beginning at around 500-600 miles before OLM (MB calls it FSS) went down to zero. I tried to make appointment at dealer for free oil change, but could not get the car for 2-3 weeks.

After that I made appointments when FSS went down to 1,200-1,500 miles remaining.

The sump is 8.5 quart M1 0W40, less than 1,000 miles passed the change interval didn't cause any problem. 5,000-6,000 miles pass the change interval may be a problem.

And people wonder why I make issues about leasing and financing cars... This is America!

Stupidity reigns.

How the engine replacement is $30k is also beyond me. The dealer must know about a fool and their money. Of course these fools obviously have none.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Mental note to myself: never buy used luxury cars.

My take on it is: never buy used cars with no verifiable service history. And that goes for any used car, luxury or econobox.

This. I'll take a private party vehicle with 150K+ and most-to-all service records any day before a 75K no records vehicle at a dealership.

Two year old story. Wonder what the rest of the story was?

MY WAG is that the oil warning system failed, and they got some financial compensation or assistance toward a new engine despite their obvious contributory negligence, conditioned on future silence about the whole thing.

All of the cars I've bought in the twenty first century do not consume measurable quantities of oil over their OCI.

Continue to be unimpressed with MB.

Wow, clearly the stupid owners are to blame. They wonder where all the oil went after 16k miles? I'm surprised it wasn't sooner. My dad had a 2009 Mercedes-Benz GL450 with the 4.6 V8. That thing consumed about 1 quart of oil (M1 0w40) a month.

I don't understand how people can spend so much money on something and be that dumb. Then again, I see people with expensive houses that don't take care of them either.
21.gif

Common sense dictates that a new to you car should get regular oil level checks, at least until you figure out how much it might consume.
Common sense would also dictate that if you really stretch financially to buy a car, then you should be meticulous in looking after it.
Finally, common sense would also dictate that if one's wife is mechanically inept then one should give the car she drives a check every now and then.
A shame that the guy the OP quoted was short on both cash and common sense.
All his fault, not the dealer's and not the car's.

Yes there are a lot of stupid people out there. Go onto any manufacturer or model specific forum and you are likely to find a thread on new car burning oil. Both my Subaru and Silverado forums have threads on the topic. It is very common to find people on the forum say "New cars should never burn oil" 1 qt per 1000 miles is not right blah blah blah. Of course this leads to people thinking well, if it shouldn't burn any oil I should never have to check the oil, right? Then some models have an oil light but its not for oil level but oil pressure (the pretty much too late light). The oil light comes on and the people who didn't read their owners manual think, oh it just needs some oil. They keep driving and think they will add it later. Engine goes boom.

Yup, lots of stupid people out there who don't take the financial responsibility of their actions.

They made it sound like it was hard for them to make payments. Nice cars are nice, but if you can't afford it, don't get it.

Sorry to hear that someone keeping up with the Jones' weren't keeping up with the BITOGERS.

I own my car, it doesn't own me.

Regards, JC.

we have an X5 that we were told did not have a dipstick so we would have to check the OLM. My wife NEVER checked (claimed she was too busy) until oil light came on (she called me in a panic) and I went off and told her she can spend 30 seconds checking when she gets gas, etc. etc. turns out - there is a dipstick. anyhow, i just go out in the garage now once a week and check the oil when I fill up her washer fluid, etc. can't rely on her and since I am the breadwinner, I paid for the [censored] car (Cash as a CPO). I am teaching my daughters early.

there is no excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back