Pros/Cons- Gas water heater vs Electric WH???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a shame you are being forced to spend the extra money in switching to an electric hot water tank. Let this be a warning to anybody thinking of buying something from Sears.

I read through the CR article and found I agreed with most of it. With just my wife and I in the house now, our hot water costs don't even come near the stated averages. I just checked my August gas bill. Between the WH and the drier, we used 13 cuft of gas for $7. The whole bill was $23. Now lets see $2000/$7 = 286 months if it reduced the gas usage entirely. A more realistic figure would extend the payback to at least 50 years. Say I went with the Titan on Ebay and installed it myself getting the cost down to $700. Hot water usage would go up more in the winter. $100/yr might be a reasonable guess. If the new heater saved 22 percent, that would be $22 a year, over 30 years for a payback.

Now some other points. When I take a shower, I turn the hot water on full blast. With about 50' of pipe, it takes a while before I get hot water. I then turn down both the temperature and volume. It would be quite possible I could shut the heater off by reducing the hot water too much. By the time the cold water hit, I could be in the shower and soaped up.

Electric tankless? 4 slots? I only have 100 amp service. I think most newer houses have at least 200 amps, but even that may not be enough depending on what else you have. A new bigger box and upgraded service? I know my neighbor put in a bigger box and the electric company refused to upgrade his service.

I have a 1'' gas line coming in, but I am not sure how much gas is available.

Blue goose, it sounds to me like you have already taken one of the most important steps is saving hot water, getting your teenagers to limit their showers to 10 minutes. I can remember telling my father in law he should put in a bigger hot water heater. His answer was that a couple of the younger kids would still stay in the shower until the hot water was gone. Others wanting to save on hot water might follow suit. The tankless units will only make sense for those using large quantities of hot water. Reducing your hot water usage might make even more sense.

An electric heater will cost you more BTU for BTU, period. As others said tanked gas heaters have a MUCH faster recovery time. At home I have a 50gal gas WH rated at I think 40,000 BTU. At my shop I have a 50gal electric heater with 4500w elements, which is only 15,000 BTU max. The difference is easily noticeable.

But yeah, if I was replacing a water heater today, I'd go tankless. (gas) All my water heaters are from around 1995...

We paid $1,700 for a 190,000btu Rinnai unit. Unfortunatly, I don't think we'll ever recoup the cost of the unit, persay, in operation cost savings. And our old 40gal heater was 20 years old and totally scaled up. There's just not that much savings there compared to a tank.

But we were able to add a few feet to the basement bedrooms, and never, ever running out of hot water (pressure is another topic) is almost priceless in a little house with a family of six.

I would only go electric if you had to. No, your gas line does not always have to be replaced. Ours was sized just fine. And sometimes the retro-fit isn't as bad as it seems. Venting can be tricky too. They also make units that mount on the exterior of the building.

I wouldn't go tankless unless you had major reasons to save space and need continuous hot water. Otherwise tanks are fine, perhaps the reason most people don't go tankless is price, and the fact that Americans are apparantly not used to the idea yet.

Well a powervent is out of the question as my association said I could switch to electric as it does not alter the outside of the building.....in other words I am not allowed to put an extra exhaust outside

I'm going to go with the 50 gallon Bradford White Electric...it seems to have great efficiency at .92...we just will be judicious with our shower lengths...one stepson going into the Air Force in June and the other spends his summers with his Dad so that will cut back on consumption quite a bit

In a perfect scenario I would love to get a gas water heater working correctly but with the fumes and nobody being able to solve it this seems to be a problem eliminator. Peace of mind knowing my family can sleep safely at night goes a long way

Gas hookup will still be there so if I ever decide to try again or the next owner wants to convert back to gas it won't be that difficult

I will never ever purchase a water heater etc from Sears or a box store...only through a plumber I trust and someone who takes pride in their work as I can tell the plumbers here do
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited:
I have a 40 gallon gas water heater and I'm seriously considering replacing it with an electric 40 gallon unit in the near future. My gas company charges me about $26/month just to maintain a gas meter, whether or not I use any gas. I figure with an electric heater, I can have my gas service turned off for 7 months out of the year, saving around $180. I can't imagine my electric bill increasing anywhere near that much. I'm single, take one shower daily, wash one load of clothes a week, run the dishwasher one time a week, etc. I imagine my current gas water heater wastes more heat up the flue than it does in heating the small amount of water I use daily. As a former electric/gas utility company engineer, I know electric rates will stay a lot more stable than natural gas rates.

Originally Posted By: labman
Now some other points. When I take a shower, I turn the hot water on full blast. With about 50' of pipe, it takes a while before I get hot water.

Is the pipe insulated? That usually makes a big difference.

Yep, last bill went from 14.4c/kWHr to 17.7c.

Funny, the price paid to the generators is way down from 9c/kWHr 14 years ago to around 4c now. Middle man is making a killing.

that aside, it's insane that resistive electric heating is still around as an option in this day and age.

I replaced my gas tank water heater recently. I considered a tankless electric and tankless gas but the installation costs were high. These are not DIY tasks.

The tankless electric should be installed by a licensed electrician. The tankless gas model costs 2x as much as tank model and also requires requires professional installation. The existing flue at my house was not large enough to accommodate a tankless heater, nor was the gas line to the water heater. Both would have to be upgraded to support the immense amount of NG the water heater needs. A 40 gallon gas unit uses about 40,000 BTU; it is enough for a family of 3. A comparable tankless model requires 150,000 BTU. It's all but certain the existing gas line to your water heater doesn't support 150,000 BTU and would need to be upgraded.

Last edited:
Who here has an electric water heater? About how much extra did it add to your bill? Plumber said I may be looking at 40 to 50 dollar increase a month on electric. Family of 4 ...2 shower at night, 2 in the morning...dishwasher as well...laundry we use cold water

Anyone give me an idea?

Goose

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Who here has an electric water heater? About how much extra did it add to your bill? Plumber said I may be looking at 40 to 50 dollar increase a month on electric. Family of 4 ...2 shower at night, 2 in the morning...dishwasher as well...laundry we use cold water

Anyone give me an idea?

Just using my local utility rates, natural gas cost $1.40/therm, and electricity 10c/kWh.
1 therm = 100,000 BTU for $1.40. To get 100,000 electric BTUs, you need 29 killowatt hours at a cost of $2.90. That's more than 200% higher.

Natural gas, is by far, the cheapest way to make heat anywhere in the country.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
An electric heater will cost you more BTU for BTU, period. As others said tanked gas heaters have a MUCH faster recovery time. At home I have a 50gal gas WH rated at I think 40,000 BTU. At my shop I have a 50gal electric heater with 4500w elements, which is only 15,000 BTU max. The difference is easily noticeable.

I was wondering if you could clarify when you say the difference is easily noticeable

The recovery time when you run out of hot water - 15k BTU vs 40k.

Basically the electric heater is a pot of water on a low heat electric burner. The gas heater is a pot of water on one of those high output turkey fryer things everybody sets their house on fire with.

I notice that halfway through 1 shower the Kenmore Gas heater that I am going to be ripping out and dropping on Mr Sears front lawn this week kicks on..is this normal??

If I could be sure that a gas water heater would not give off the smell that this Kenmore does I would stick with gas...but I am so jaded and worried about these fumes it is pushing me to the safety of electric even though my costs will be higher. No win situation for me I'm afraid
frown.gif

Hmmm what does it mean when it says on the Energy Yellow Sticker

Capacity (First Hour Rating) 58 Gallons...this is on a 50 gallon electric water heater

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
They really are a great investment and IMO should be the law. Our housing codes in this country are from the 19th Century it seems to me.

This type of a "nanny state" mentality is unwelcome in my home.

You really want the government to tell us what kind of hot water heater to use?

I agree. Look at California, they already are banning big screen TVs and want to ban black cars. I say we ban California!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I agree. Look at California, they already are banning big screen TVs and want to ban black cars. I say we ban California!

I live in nearly the most liberal part of Kalifornia and I haven't heard of either ban. What are you talking about?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I notice that halfway through 1 shower the Kenmore Gas heater that I am going to be ripping out and dropping on Mr Sears front lawn this week kicks on..is this normal??

Yes, the inlet has a tube forcing the water to the bottom. As soon as the incoming cold hits the temperature probe, the burner comes on.

Well it seems awful quick to come on and then run forever...how much water is actually heated at a time?

Can anyone provide approx how much of a jump I'll see in my electric bill? Right now about 60 bucks a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back