proof that fram is inferior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't think anyone other than Pete C. could comment on filter assembly. I think that he's mainly staying out of the never ending story about Fram for "why do I want to go there?" type reasons.

Any defense of the cardboard end cap still falls along the line of Chiang Kai-shek claiming to rule all of China from the island of Taiwan..while the preponderance of the evidence indicated otherwise. It's kinda like "4 out of 5 dentists agree.." type thing.

I do admit, however, that the orange can has been such a standard aesthetic part of the underhood scheme ..for so many years ..for so many people, that it may be what you want on your engine ..whether it's better or not.

Isn't it great to live in the USA
patriot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The photos of the Fram that had collapsed was/is a common problem. Sometimes the failure causes no engine damage and then sometimes it does. I prefer not to roll the dice. I don't mean this as an offense to anyone but I just don't understand why someone pays hard earned money for their ride and then uses the best oil they feel they can get and then want to scrimp and save maybe 2-3 bucks by buying the cheapest filter they can find. I'm not promoting any particular brand of filter here but I think 99% of us would agree that there are better quality filters to be had for just a few more bucks(maybe less).
The engines that I was refering to were the 22R Toyota 4cyl. engine and the Z24 Nissan 4cyl engine. The two engines that I witnessed Fram paying for were 5.0L Ford truck engines. The Motorcraft filter would have been a FL-1A. It was obvious that Fram had seen this problem before based upon the speed in which they payed for the engine replacements. In fairness,this happened over 10yrs ago but from the photos of that collapsed filter, I would say quality is still in the toilet at Fram.

I had a 82 SR5 Toyota truck which now has well over 250k miles (the guy who bought it from me still drives it) and its seen only Fram filters. I've cut open EVERY oil filter I've ever used (coming from my aircraft days) and never seen a problem with them.

My 1990 F150 had a 5.0l 302 V8 and again, still on the road with over 200k on it and seen Frams with everyone being cut open with never a problem.

I don't use Frams due to cost. But would if they were price correctly. (I agree with you on better filters for less $$, that since the Supertech is $2.50, a Fram would need to be around $1.25 for me to buy them)
cheers.gif

You can spend the extra $$ for more expensive filters if it makes you feel better, but in the long run, it does not make a differance.
dunno.gif

I've cut open every filter (more than I'd like to admit over 30plus years of driving)
smirk.gif
, I've never had a problem. This is with $6 filters over $2 filters. The UOAs show excellent filtering. The engines last and run well.
thumbsup.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Count your blessings name them one by one;Count your blessings see what HE hath done; Count your many blessing name them one by one.

To use that many Frams without a problem is FAR more than luck my friend. HE has been good to you.
bowdown2.gif
bowdown2.gif

Well, I guess I'm in the same boat as Bill. "HE" (whoever that is) then has been good to me as well. One of my current vehicles has almost 200K miles. First 150K or so was Fram orange filters. I've had other vehicles that (one we bought new in 1981) go over 300K miles using Valvoline a/c and (gasp) Fram filters! I could go on and on but you get the picture.
Currently I use Purolator and Motorcraft - much cheaper than even the orange Frams.

I have pics on my site of Frams where the cardboard circle is not centered on the shaft, leaving the perforated shaft to seal against metal.

Quote:

I have pics on my site of Frams where the cardboard circle is not centered on the shaft, leaving the perforated shaft to seal against metal.

I'd love to see those. Not doubting you, but it would be nice if you posted the link.

One thing I've learned from reading here on this and other forums, is you find people who have horror stories about every product and every oil out there.
I don't doubt there have been some bad Frams, but it doesn't take much searching to see there are also some bad Purolator and others as well. Fram is just an easy target given they sell more than most of the others.
I agree with Gary Allen 100 percent in his post #913839:
"So, there's nothing wrong with a standard Fram as far as it doing its job to minimum standards. It only comes down to bang for your buck. Those who choose to pay (typically) more for the cheapest product on the market can do so without fear ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back