Proof "Oil is Oil" - we can rest now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
That's why it's no problem to go a million miles; there's virtually no start-up wear!

Exactly, hardly any startup wear on a taxi that is basically running all day, even if it is shut off for awhile, on startup the engine oil is still probably warm.

No problem to go 1,000,000 miles? Who did that?

Pennzoil dino every 3k in a '90 chevy pickup...use google or you tube

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Only thing is Bill,these are so far and few in between.They were just built on a really good day.

Disagree, ultra high mileage on taxi's and other service vehicles is routine if well maintained, i.e., regular dino oil changes.

Yeah,but a million miles?? That is far and few in between as I mentioned.With no rebuilds? C`mon now lets be a little more realistic.It does happen in a few,but its not at all very often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: c3po
That's why it's no problem to go a million miles; there's virtually no start-up wear!

Exactly, hardly any startup wear on a taxi that is basically running all day, even if it is shut off for awhile, on startup the engine oil is still probably warm.

No problem to go 1,000,000 miles? Who did that?

Pennzoil dino every 3k in a '90 chevy pickup...use google or you tube

1,000,000 miles. 3000 mile OCIs. Equales about 333 oil changes with Dino Pennzoil.

1,000,000 miles. 10,000 mile OCIs. Equals 100 OCs.
with M1. Saved 233 oil changes.

Last edited:

1,000,000 miles. 3000 mile OCIs. Equales about 333 oil changes with Dino Pennzoil.

1,000,000 miles. 10,000 mile OCIs. Equals 100 OCs.
with M1. Saved 233 oil changes.

That truck could have went 6k ocis with not a single issue and made 1 million miles. 166 oci changes.

Everyday price of Mobil 1 is $4.40. M1 filter is $10 Chevy truck holds 6 quarts. Total price of oil change is $36.40

Everyday price of Pennzoil YB is $2.40. Filter is $3. Total price is $17.40

Mobil 1 oil changes for 1 million is $3640

Pennzoil for 1 million is $2888

$752 saved and in the end the truck would have made it just fine.

3k OCIs do work, but they are excessive. Esp in this truck and its use.

Bill

I was thinking of the environment. 233 less oil changes.

100 m1 oil changes at $30.00 achange= $3,000
333 oil changes with dino at $18.00 a change = $5994.

$2994.00 savings with M1 or any good synt.
Less oil to polute.
Time saved in changing oil. 30 minutes per oil change, at 233 saved changes =116 hours of saved time.

Last edited:
Check your numbers.

Conventional is correct but your syn is $7 off. Also, read my message about 3k ocis.

It would be 66 more oil changes. Oil is recycled so no pollution.

Replying to the OP's conclusion based on a CR study done in 1996 on NYC taxi cabs is proof that "oil is oil" IMO, NO! It is now 13 years old and the statement conclusion that "oil is oil" is way to general.

I think it's only fair to present a rebuttal to the 13 year old CR study. One disclaimer, the rebuttal is done by an Amsoil dealer/rep. I don't use Amsoil (not because they don't make fine oil products) but I happen to agree with his conclusions based on the flaws of CR taxi study.

[Removed link to non-sponsoring Amsoil Dealer]

I wonder if CR liked the conclusions they reached so they wouldn't have to test motor oil anymore.
21.gif

So in response to the OP's conclusion based on the CR study, that "oil is oil", I would have to disagree and say

WrongAnswer.jpg

Edit: Please re-post the article if you can find it another source.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Nashville were Nissan's headquatered they have several million mile sentras in the show room. Don't know the oil type used.

What about Supertech dino @$9.50 plus tax for 5 qt jug every 5k & 1.60 Pro-tec bulk filter (made by WIX).

With tax that is about 12 bucks and 200 oil changes over a million miles so $2400 bucks in oil and it is done every 5k to boot which is a good number for cheap dino no???

My last Chevy small block held 5qts

Last edited:
Ive been a religous synthetic user since 1994. But right now I'm running Castrol GTX 10W30 in both of my vehicles, and they both seem to run much better and quieter.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Check your numbers.

Conventional is correct but your syn is $7 off. Also, read my message about 3k ocis.

M1 at WM is $22.00 and a MC filter is 4 bucks. Less than $30.00

The milliom mile truck guy used Penz with 3000 mile OC.

That million mile truck guy had to live in the seat and at the oil change place. I didn't read it, but @ 60k a year it would be every 2.6 weeks and it would take 17 years.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Check your numbers.

M1 at WM is $22.00 and a MC filter is 4 bucks. Less than $30.00

The milliom mile truck guy used Penz with 3000 mile OC.

Wrong. The truck holds SIX quarts. So you'd have to add a quart to your $22 plus I don't think that MC makes a filter for a chevy.

And since M1 is the only oil you'd use I figured that only the "best"
smirk2.gif
filter (M1 of course) would work for 10k. Another $10.

So $22 ($4.40 times 6 = $26.40 plus the filter @ $10 = $36.40 is the cost of a Mobil 1 oil change. Not less than $30.

Most people would agree that a 5-6k OCI with any oil would work in his truck. We do not know that a 10k OCI with M1 would..

He changed his oil too often. He could have cut a 1/3 of them out without question.

But it does prove that engines can last with out certain brands being used.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
What about Supertech dino @$9.50 plus tax for 5 qt jug every 5k & 1.60 Pro-tec bulk filter (made by WIX).

With tax that is about 12 bucks and 200 oil changes over a million miles so $2400 bucks in oil and it is done every 5k to boot which is a good number for cheap dino no???

My last Chevy small block held 5qts
My chevy held 6 quarts.

And I agree that Supertech conventional every 5k would work just fine in the million mile application with NO worries.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back