Is the Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) organization defunct?

I go to the PQIA site sometimes to look at the additive packages for different oils (www.pqia.org). I noticed that the last new oil analysis posted was back in March 2023, which is almost a year ago. If you go through the VOA reports for different oil weights, you will notice that most are out of date by several years.

A simple site updating delay would not last for almost a year. I would think there would be new oil analyses posted every 2-3 weeks or so.
Something is not right. Lots of sponsors, so money should not be an issue.

I called a couple times over the last few months, plus just now. On those occasion's there was no answer. I left a VM on the first two attempts but didn't receive a returned call. Didn't leave one today...

1706628058164.png

Site looks like a ghost town. A lot of effort for little to no reward; most all premium brands meet and/or exceed viscometrics and min/max phos and TBN. Just looking for rogue junk lubes sold surprisingly at service station.

Replace site with banner statement - don't buy "off brand" lubricants that do not display the current API donut and or starburst.

We all know housewives and stoners and teens visit the PQIA site often :)

Surprised there isn't more posting, hand wringing and general melancholy about PQIA inactivity.

They had been another great source for VOA and also just some good fun when looking at and poking at various junk brands on shelves; I found it quite surprising there was this whole illegitimate industry in the underbelly of automotivedom.

It’s still around. They’ve changed their focus from the retail side, to the distribution and blending side.

Tom was in my office last year? Or was it 2022? Either way. PQIA is more focused on doing distributor inspections and blending inspections. As others have mentioned, it’s rare to find something bad in a bottle anymore. Or at least, bad enough that PQIA would flag it. As well, it’s simply a lot of ground to cover. Going after the distributors and blenders is a better utilization of time.

With consumers, stay away from sketchy no-name brands and you’re good, essentially.

With distributors, as I posted in another thread, there’s a lot more… ability to hide things. And with blenders, even more so.

There are two reasons I don't find this all that surprising:

- Anything that's actually API licensed is easily found on the API EOLCS site; it's easy to pick up a bottle of lube from a recognized source and have faith that the lube meets its specs. RARE is the example of a failed lube which is API approved. All PQIA was doing for the last several years was validating an already proven system, which is kind of a waste of time and money.

- There certainly are some crappy oils out there that don't get license approval. However, there's also some great lubes out there which are not API licensed. Hence, the onus is upon the purchaser to make a determination if the lube in question is good or bad via his/her own research.

Bonus point:
Many high-end lubes use product additives which don't show up in a VOA. And the VOA tells us nothing of base stocks, either. So really the PQIA info really wasn't that revealing to the common BITOGer anyway.

Back