Prolonging the life of an engine with a rod knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd immediately drain the oil and gear oil mix,go to autozone and buy some VR1 SAE60 and,refill.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A quarter pound of C4 is the solution.

That is actually the way to go. The car is more likely to just shut off than go out in any blaze of glory though. That being said, I have seen a few people run incredibly long times on cars that have a knock, twice in Honda's and once with a 4.0 Jeep.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Let's see a pic of the car!

Also... tig1 uses Mobil 1 for 10k OCI's

How about a Dyno Video?

Ah, yeah, putting bearings in that engine is going to do nothing. Its quite clear from the sound that the crank is surely damaged as well.
Id have your cell phone with ya, that thing isn't going to make it very far.

Try power braking it for a bit. You will probably end up with some "sealer" on your driveway.....lol

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd immediately drain the oil and gear oil mix,go to autozone and buy some VR1 SAE60 and,refill.

Well, it burns oil so fast that I might not have to drain anything.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

So it is burning it then, not leaking. You are getting energy from the combustion and Astro is correct.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Absolutely no point in putting gear oil in an engine. If your goal is to have a really thick oil, well, the 20w-50 you poured in is probably thicker than the 85w-140 gear oil, so what's the point of the gear oil? Gear oil uses a different grading scale than motor oil, so even though the radically bigger viscosity numbers make it seem way thicker, it's really not. A 90 weight gear oil is roughly the same thickness as a 30 weight motor oil. The reason for the different grading scale is so people don't accidentally pour "10w-30 gear oil" into their engine, mistaking it for motor oil. If someone sees 80w-90 or 85w-140 on the bottle, they instantly know it isn't motor oil.

I saw that come back on another site as a suggestion. The 85w140 seemed much thicker than the 20w50.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

So it is burning it then, not leaking. You are getting energy from the combustion and Astro is correct.

He is losing a heck of a lot more than any oil could add by the loss of compression with all that oil getting sucked in.

Why the heck are you guys even debating this anyway???

Yes and No, about 80% of the oil goes into one very low compression cylinder with two deep scores. I have a catch can that fills up and needs to be drained fairly often. As you might imagine the spark plug in that cylinder is not usually firing ideally. The car runs best when it's about 2 quarts low on oil because less is making it on the cylinder walls and into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: Srt20

He is losing a heck of a lot more than any oil could add by the loss of compression with all that oil getting sucked in.

Why the heck are you guys even debating this anyway???

Yea, it's really the least relevant aspect of the thread. So maybe this dying near 400k motor I got a real world 27.2 MPG instead of 29.3 on the last fill up. I'm beating EPA numbers, though this car always did. But it is heavily down on power at this point.

Based on that video, you could rent that car out as a pest fogger, maybe collect a little cash...

Seriously, though, that thing is toxic. With all the other cars in your sig, why even bother keeping this one? You'll be better off selling it and watching for a new "toy" to goof around with that doesn't burn through a gallon of oil in a month.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Based on that video, you could rent that car out as a pest fogger, maybe collect a little cash...

Seriously, though, that thing is toxic. With all the other cars in your sig, why even bother keeping this one? You'll be better off selling it and watching for a new "toy" to goof around with that doesn't burn through a gallon of oil in a month.

At some point I made a decision to run it until it died. I like the car, it's the most reliable vehicle I will probably ever own. I valet parked it a few weeks ago, that was a sight. The last few years I use it mostly just for the winter/snow since I have full studded snow tires on it.

Supposedly you can cut beer cans into strips, pull the rod bearings, and use the shims to close the bearings around the new found gap.

I have an abundance of sawdust at my disposal. That can't possibly work though, the filter would nab it up quickly.

.... why do I get the feeling this is an April Fools joke that has gone on too long?

The joke is on me so far.

I started it up this afternoon to move it out of my way before I left for the day/night. It knocked for about 3 seconds and then went away. Strange.

.... why do I get the feeling this is an April Fools joke that has gone on too long?

The joke is on me so far.

I started it up this afternoon to move it out of my way before I left for the day/night. It knocked for about 3 seconds and then went away. Strange.
That sounds like a main thrust bearing. Or maybe, the bearing spun. Let us know when it dies.
01.gif
grin2.gif

RIP HONDA

Well, it happened. Around Midnight tonight I decided to see if I could make the 20 mile trip from my house to my brothers. First 10 miles went pretty well. I just turned the stereo up and drove normally. Then it started getting louder and losing power. I drove another 5 miles to a gas station and grabbed something to enjoy while the metal parts cooled down. In the meantime, I wondered if bitog would be right. Would the car burst into flames and I somehow would be trapped inside? Would it lock up around a blind curve and a semi truck would find me soon after? Would it blow a hole in the oil pan near a protected fish reserve and end up poisoning the water?

Well, not exactly but I did have an encounter with a hill. The last 5 miles were hairy. The oil light was on for most of them. When I hit the 1 mile mark I was going uphill, floored, losing speed. Around 30 mph it blew a hole in the block. Felt like 2 cylinders were running. I pulled into a stone entrance to a farm field, smoke pouring out of everywhere, it shut off when I let off the gas.

I get a look at the hole, it's up pretty high. No meaningful oil on the street. I check to see if it will start, it does. Hmmm. I called my brother and had him drive over in my 04 Suburban which was in his driveway, incase I needed a push. At one point he did push me a bit but it wasn't necessary.

For the record, it still starts, it can barely pull away on it's own power, but once you get moving it can do 25-30. So maybe there will be a part II, final final ride.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back