Problem with local Credit Union checking account !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I forgot to mention that last week someone tried to do an ACH withdraw from my other credit union account $12,000(twelve thousands dollar)...

A different credit union, or the same credit union?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I forgot to mention that last week someone tried to do an ACH withdraw from my other credit union account $12,000(twelve thousands dollar)...

A different credit union, or the same credit union?

A different credit union.

Update: Went to a local credit union branch to change member number/account. While being there for about 15-20 minutes there was 2 other members had unauthorized ACH withdraws.

One member had several withdraws total more than $1k, the other member had 1 withdraws for few hundreds. They were asked to change member number/account too. So the security of this credit union is not adequate, more than 1 member account had been compromised in 1 day.

I check my accounts every two days like clockwork.

Wall Street Journal had a recent article about inside employees and bank tellers getting jobs at bank/CU just to get access to accounts.

They target people with big balances.

Automatic withdrawals are bad. I manually pay all bills online monthly except the mortgage and the sewer bill since they're always the same. For those two it is automatic payment that I control not the payee - so I can go in and control all pieces unlike dealing with the payee who sucks the money out.

The credit union couldn't find out how they got a hold of my account online to do unauthorized transactions.

Since the day I had new account no more illegal withdrawals.

I like automatic withdrawals, just setup once then forget about it. No late payment penalty and nothing to worry about.

Some of the security details are atrocious in the banking industry. Any time you allow "pull_any_money" option on your customers account, you have potential for fraud. Many universities set up their tuition payment like that. Any university could pull any money from your account if they knew your account number which is printed on every check you ever wrote.

I still can not believe how this type of transfer is ever allowed. How can a third party pull money by knowing your account number?

Open a couple of online savings/checking accounts and use them for paying bills. Keep little money in them and don't have any overdraft. Keep your main checking account secret.

The other thing that you should do is notify your credit card company not to send you balance transfer checks. Crooks steal them out of the mail. Yes this happened to me

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

It's time to shut down the internet.

That's about the most unintelligent thing I've read in years.
it's the only free open media. all the TV stations are owned and preprogrammed what you see. At least with the Internet you can choose what programming you receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back