Problem with local Credit Union checking account !

Status
Not open for further replies.
My checking account is being withdrawn by someone in 4 transactions total $6,850 today.

I didn't have enough money to cover these unauthorized withdrawn so the credit union transferred $2,000 from line-of-credit to cover the illegal withdraws.

Luckily, I checked my account few minutes ago and saw these unusual large withdraws, called customer service and they are investigate the problem.

Hopefully they will correct the problem by stopping the online withdraws and deposit that amount back to my account.

It looks like I may need to change account number and limit future withdraw to a reasonable amount($1,000 or less), larger amount will be notified and authorized. The problem with new account is I need to change automatic withdraw for all my credit cards, utilities and other monthly payments.

Check your account once a week to make sure no illegal withdraw from your account.

Last edited:
Yes, the credit union needs to set you up a new account number and close the old one. Unfortunately, that entails your changing all your auto withdrawals/auto bill pays.

Best of luck in resolving the issues quickly.

Do you mail out checks or otherwise issue paper checks off the acct? Probably some turd p.o.s. had opportunity to photo your check or otherwise record the info off the face of it, and is using it to do demand drafts via ACH (automated clearing house). It is possible your account and routing number were in a database that was breached, but they are supposed to be encrytped. It could also be coming in via your debit card was in a breached database, but same thing.

There is a full-on cyber war going on silently that the general public is not that aware of. I've been told Wal Mart even has a "Star Wars room" at their corporate HQ where they have network security people working 24/7 actively watching their entire system for probing and intrusions and it's constantly being probed for weaknesses by the bad guys. Just as an example of what's going on.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My checking account is being withdrawn by someone in 4 transactions total $6,850 today.

I didn't have enough money to cover these unauthorized withdrawn so the credit union transferred $2,000 from line-of-credit to cover the illegal withdraws.

Luckily, I checked my account few minutes ago and saw these unusual large withdraws, called customer service and they are investigate the problem.

Hopefully they will correct the problem by stopping the online withdraws and deposit that amount back to my account.

It looks like I may need to change account number and limit future withdraw to a reasonable amount($1,000 or less), larger amount will be notified and authorized. The problem with new account is I need to change automatic withdraw for all my credit cards, utilities and other monthly payments.

Check your account once a week to make sure no illegal withdraw from your account.

It's a real pain that pieces of human filth do this to people. But....changing everything and having code words and withdraw limits can help a lot.
My credit union will call me any time something unusual happens like large or repeated withdraws.
I don't have to pay for any of it if my entire account gets robbed either. They will replace all of it.

People like to rip on banks and etc as big evil money grubbers but the fact is they take it in the wazoo big time on fraud losses. HTSS_TR's incident is but one of tens of thousands or more per year in this country and it all hikes the cost of doing business for everyone.

A hassle, I agree, but really not so bad considering the issue that needs resolving. 20 years ago this would have been much more complex; banks and your regular creditors are light years ahead of the game in comparison to not so long ago when it comes to this kind of thing.

This could be different in the US, but with Canadian Banks and Credit Unions, there is no reason or obligation to give out your Account Number to anyone. It's this way with most countries I'm familiar with, so a good chance the same with a US Institution.

Of course it's different with a Checking Account where it's printed right there, but many people aren't aware of this (ask your bank the next time you have an opportunity).

People can even make deposits to your account without having to cite your Account Number. Make sure the name is spelled correctly and the Bank Transfer Code is properly entered, or do it in person at the Branch where your account resides.

Another options would be to enable alerts on your accounts. I have them send me a text message whenever a debit, credit, or other transaction over $100 gets posted.

I'm also on their online banking site at least a few times a week of not daily.

I had chase credit card call me sat asking if i made a $170 purchase at a bike store in California. I said no. They are ordering me a new card. They said the person did not have my address or the security code on the back correct so the transaction did not go through.

I only write 1 check every other month to pay the landscaping guy and gave it to him directly. I may just pay him cash next time.

Once in several months my wife may write a check to someone. Almost never mail any check to pay/give anyone. All regular payments are done automatically by direct withdraw.

Were they ACH withdrawals (against checking account number) or debit card transactions (against your debit card) or real checks?

If its a debit card they can just assign a new debit card number and not bother your checking account. If it was a check or ACH they will probably change your account number, but either of those (especially an ACH) should be easy to track.

I get a text for any withdrawals over $200 from my credit union.

What kind of transactions were they? From a store where the thief was buying stuff? Most atm cash transaction withdraws have a $500 cash limit per day.

...Check your account once a week to make sure no illegal withdraw from your account.

Wow I hope you get those fraudulent shenanigans squared away and credited pronto.

Yeah I receive 'instant' e-mails and text alerts from my bank for any and all checking, savings, brokerage, trust,
and credit card transactions of any kind for just those reasons. Those are in addition to monthly printed statements of course.

'Consumer protection' laws in California, while oftentimes draconian, may be helpful in this instance.

"It's a lot easier to spend than it is to earn." -War of the Roses

With my credit union, I can setup alerts to give me an email and a text whenever a transaction of $100 or more is done.

Best change your password also on our account in case someone actually logged on and did a transfer somehow.

Do a google search for "data breach" or "security breach" and prepare yourself to be amazed at the number of hits you get.

It's time to shut down the internet.

I didn't have enough money to cover these unauthorized withdrawn so the credit union transferred $2,000 from line-of-credit to cover the illegal withdraws…...

Wow, not only did your CU not warn you about fraud, they gave the crooks an extra $2000.

My bank did not contact me either, when a $6000 fraudulent purchase was made with my credit card. That amount would be extremely unusual on my account, and should have raised multiple red flags.

Too many financial institutions are very lax with their security.
mad.gif

Locally in New England a credit union had some issues and put stoppage on transactions over the holiday weekend. I wonder if its software related as they likely uses similar packages.

I hope my credit union(Service Credit Union) does a decent job, they built a Taj Mahal for corporate head quarters! Yet there website screams 1999 with scrolling text!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Were they ACH withdrawals (against checking account number) or debit card transactions (against your debit card) or real checks?

If its a debit card they can just assign a new debit card number and not bother your checking account. If it was a check or ACH they will probably change your account number, but either of those (especially an ACH) should be easy to track.

I get a text for any withdrawals over $200 from my credit union.

They tracked the transactions, it were ACH withdraw online from a computer in New York.

There were 4 separate ACH transactions in the amount of $1500, $2000, $2500 and $850.

They had been able to stop the 2 transactions of $1500 and $2000. They credited $3500 to my checking account, they will let me know the next few days or weeks if they can do anything with the two transactions of $2500 and $850.

What amazed me is they paid 4 ACH transactions more than $6,000 without notify me by email or text or phone.

$6,850 can buy a lot of full synthetic oil(I can buy Royal Purple oil if I like with this amount of money) and Fram Ultra filter for my cars.

Well, at least it happened in the old year, bad year is almost over. Hope that the new year in a few days will be better.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do you have a Venmo account? I have been seeing a lot of people getting their information stolen through that (found on reddit).

My credit union headquarter is in LA county and they have branches in LA and Orange County only.

I don't like to post the name of my credit union here, I don't want to get into bigger problem than I already had.

I forgot to mention that last week someone tried to do an ACH withdraw from my other credit union account $12,000(twelve thousands dollar).

Because the amount was more than $10,000 they called to confirm. Of course I decline that illegal withdraw, I also asked them to limit any ACH withdraw no more than $1,000, I may reduce this amount to $100-200. I may also change the account with this credit union too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back