Anyone use Discover card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presently use an online checking / savings account through Amex, I chose it because it was fee free and had the highest interest rate for savings. At the time, I didn't realize what a pain it would be, in that about 1 out of 5 b&m and online retailers don't accept it. I resorted to carrying a prepaid Visa with a bit of money on it (I very rarely carry cash), but that's an extra hassle I'd like to avoid.

I don't need physical banking locations and my qualm with the local banks / credit unions around me, their accounts aren't interest bearing unless you have a fair amount of money deposited, and then there's fees and stipulations involved if you let your account balance drop below X amount of dollars. Not that big a deal, but I'd rather avoid the possibility of fees altogether.

I heard an advertisement on the radio for Discover online banking. Their interest on savings beats even most money market accounts, no minimums, no fees (except overdraft) and the debit card gives 2% cash back on gas & restaurants and 1% on all other purchases. Seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm concerned about card acceptance. Running as debit using pin no. should be universally accepted since it processes on a different network (pulse), but running it as credit (which is how nearly all online transactions are handled) is an unknown for me. Some Googling suggests it's nearly the same as Visa & MC, certainly well above Amex acceptance.

Anyone have a Discover card and have issues with merchants taking it?

I have had a Discover credit card for over 20 years. Most places take it, but I have run into situations where merchants won't take it due to their higher merchant fees. I also have a Mastercard and Visa, so I am covered when that happens. Very few places take it overseas, so I don't use it there. Canada is also hit and miss.

I have a discover card for about 20-25 years. It is accepted most places. I can remember only a handful of times it wasnt accepted. I too have a visa and mastercard just in case. I use them for small purchases to keep them active as I have had cards deactivated due to non use

Last edited:
In recent years mine works everywhere. However, I recently changed to Citi Double Rewards. You get a full 2% on everything with no maximum caps like Discover. You get 1% when you charge and the other 1% when you pay it. Nothing else comes close to it.

I've had mine for some 20 years. Just about the only time I've ran into acceptance issues was when traveling outside of the country.

Thinking of ditching it as there are other cards out there that offer better benefits these days.

Yes, they run 5% off gasoline next month. In fact, I used it today: bought hydraulic suspension spheres for a Lexus LX from Japan for around $900. My regular VISA issued a false positive, charge declined, a dense fellow on the phone, etc. Discover went through right away. A few hours later I was shipping an item to Canada with FedEx, and got a text from Discover: send Y or N back in regards to validity of that charge. They made it easy for me today.

One of two cards I carry along with Costco Visa. Discover has good interface and rewards $ can be cashed out or used as you wish-- including paying balances. Costco gives you a paper check annually. Give me the cash when I need it. Costco Citi Visa card site is clunky.

I think Discover's 5% quarterly rewards have gotten a bit weaker recently, plus Costco is the cheapest (by far) Tier 1 gas in my market and it's Visa only. so the 5% gas match (one more than Costco card) is not the biggy that it could be.

Last edited:
I was one of the very early adopters when Discover first came out and at that time, it was hit or miss on who'd accept it.

Nowdays, I haven't run into anyone not taking.

Check that - I did shop at one place that didn't accept it, but that's because they didn't accept any credit cards. Otherwise, I haven't had an issue in a long, long, long time.

When the 5% cash back categories suit my needs, gas, groceries and Amazon, Discover one of my go to cards. I'm sure there are still some places that don't take it but none I've run into recently. Though I don't bank with them, if anything like their CC service I'd have no hesitation about doing so. Good company ime.

Had Discover since 94. Recently, their cash back stuff can be tailored. I got the one for gas because of how much we commute. I've recently have been using Bank of America MC. They give a lot more cash back with groceries and other stores. Really like them. Also use USAA Visa..they are 1% cash back across the board, but as I've noticed with BA card, there are better deals out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back