Shopping for a 2nd credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I got a credit product, with a CL of 2k Visa.

Shopping for another card, I got offers in the mail for Citi Double Cash, Verve [censored], and Chase Freedom. I don't really like J.P Morgan.

I'm looking for a card where CL can go higher easier. Zero annual fee. I am basically going to use one card for online purchases, and the other for physical purchases(more likely to be frauded)

Suggestions?

My CC and my Debit are both Visa, I am interested in something other than Visa, maybe a WMC.

Last edited:
Do an Amazon card and get credit toward Amazon purchases.

Then again, with only a 2000 CL are you looking at carrying more balance/debt?

Last edited:
I just switched to Double Cash because I pay off every month. Best deal for every day purchases right now. The 5% quarterly categories are sometimes good, sometimes not. But I have those, too. I wouldn't worry about one for in store one not. They cover you no matter what. Why worry? Just use them, pay them off, make cash back, and be a "dead beat" in the eyes of the banking industry.

Originally Posted By: Al

Other cards offer Amazon credit, too. Discover offers discount on cash back used for gift cards. I wait for certain gift cards to go on sale and redeem my cash back. Shell gas for instance. Or Kohls if I need a pair of jeans.

Discover has 0 annual fee. Also zero liability for purchases you didn't make.

Their limits are a bit lower, and their interest rate a bit higher so it is best to pay off each month.

I have Discover It and Chase Ink.
one has a fee, but well worth it. I've never had a card with a fee before.

I've made things easier for me. I want a better level of protection so I use a gift card.

I was hacked, once and that was enough. Someone started setting up AT&T accounts, lots of them. Since he stayed under $25K for each account AT&T's fraud division in Utah did nothing. I went to work and found the guy. When I reported him to the police I was told that if I approached him or made any kind of contact I'd be arrested. They would not tell my why. I think they were using me as bait. I was just one more unimportant citizen. It took several years to clean up the mess and what I may have done to retaliate against this guy can never be made public.

So, for me it's gift cards or cash. I no longer participate in the credit/debit card parts of the system. I'm older and can not start over.

Look for cards that give a CASH BACK award plan and pays 1% or greater for ALL purchases. My Discover card does that as does my CITI card. Ed

I've had a Discover card for a while now. Very good customer service, and a good selection of things to use the cash back on.

Citi Double rewards or Fidelity Amex (if you have a Fidelity account already) - both give 2% cash back.

DiscoverIt or Chase Freedom for 5% on rotating categories.

Sallie Mae Barclays for 5% on Groceries and gas monthly.

Originally Posted By: Al

+1.

More debt instruments are likely to get people into more debt trouble.

If you can handle it responsibly, then great.

We currently use citi double cash, Costco AMEX, and a Pentagon Federal card for gasoline (5% all the time).

If we weren't members at Costco, we wouldn't have the Amex and be just fine with the others.

I have been considering going to a travel rewards card, either the AA one or one of the "any airlines" types... Not sure yet. No rush. Nobody ever got rich on credit card points.

What is your credit score? With only a $2000 credit limit, you might not have a high enough credit score or enough history to qualify for one of the best credit cards. You should get as many credit cards you can. My credit score is 799 but I get dinged for only having 9 accounts. They rate that as poor but a minor impact factor.

799?
And it changed already
Changes each month. Discover tells me my score each month.so 799 was for a moment in time.

Just an FYI; having been an ID theft victim myself, if you do not routinely open new lines of credit, do yourself a favor and put a credit freeze on your credit report and also set up notifications for ALL open accounts to text/email you if a transaction over a certain dollar amount occurs. That will stop most ID theft/hacking or alert you before much damage gets done.

Discover has wonderful customer service, the only problem is you have to have another card because a lot of places don't take it. Amex is the same way, outside of the US especially not in the first world no one takes it.

I have two and I'm pretty happy with them, a Discover because they are awesome and the points are nice, and a Chase Sapphire Preferred. The Chase has a $95 annual fee but it kicks off a lot of points and has great customer service. Between the two of them the CL is $70k.

It really depends what you are looking for. I like the points which I use for free plan tickets.

My business cards are a Home Depot charge, Lowes Amex, and Chase Ink. The HD and Lowes I have for the 5% discount they offer on purchases at those stores, the Chase Ink is just a good CC. Between the three of them I think I have around $120kish.

I charge every single cent I can to get the points, with the company cards it really pays off. Venders are getting away from offering 2% cash discounts, so screw em charge it.

Last edited:
If you want a generous CL and low APR with a long intro APR 0% for 18-21 months get the citi simplicity. Not a rewards card but low interest rate. I got a 7,500 CL at 23 straight out of college with 10.99%, not sure what the interest rates would be now days as that was a few years ago. FYI, they've also upped my CL since then.

Capital one quicksilver is another good rewards card. 1.5% cash back, unlimited not as good as the citi cash back but the captial one was my first cc ever and have had good service. Also capital one is better for traveling internationally and for balance transfers.

Generally reward cards = a little lower CL and low interest no rewards= higher CL

I have one rewards card lower CL for every day things and one low interest high CL. Depends on the reason for the purchase. Pay it off every month.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Capital one quicksilver is another good rewards card. 1.5% cash back, unlimited

This is what I use for everything except gas...I have an Am Ex Cash that pays 2% cash back for gas. Neither has an annual fee.

Its bad advice to go out and get as many credit cards as you can. If you have one, then get one or two additional ones.

New cards effect two credit score factors "new account opened" and "avg age of credit card account". New cards will pull down the avg age for several years. If you have had one card for 3 years, the avg age is 3. Get two new cards and the avg age is now 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back