Pro-Logix Charger Not For Cold Weather?

I have a 6 month old Pro-Logix PL2320 charger that I have used a few times in warm weather with no issues. The owner's manual makes no mention of "operating temperature range". (For my CTek 7002 charger the operating range is specified as -4F to +122F).

So I did a cold temp test of the Pro-Logix. I let it sit last night in my 30degF garage, then hooked it up this morning to a 30degF battery (V=12.4).
The charger failed the cold performance test. It would not initiate charging. No error messages were presented. After 2 minutes of doing nothing, the charger entered some kind of partial shutdown. ( I then connected the cold CTek to the same battery, and charging proceeded normally.)

I am letting the Pro-Logix warm up inside my house, and will test it again later today in a warm state .

Has anyone seen this cold weather failure with your Pro-Logix?

on top of the info you are asking about there are a few other specs I cant find in regards to this unit.

"smart" charging range in terms of low and high end. Ctek & Optimate spec a low and high end, and Noco a high end.

What its outdoor splash rating is if it gets caught in some rain - the Optimate, Ctek and Noco are IP65 rated.

The Optimate7 has a low temperature operating limit of -40F !

I have a 6 month old Pro-Logix PL2320 charger that I have used a few times in warm weather with no issues. The owner's manual makes no mention of "operating temperature range". (For my CTek 7002 charger the operating range is specified as -4F to +122F).

So I did a cold temp test of the Pro-Logix. I let it sit last night in my 30degF garage, then hooked it up this morning to a 30degF battery (V=12.4).
The charger failed the cold performance test. It would not initiate charging. No error messages were presented. After 2 minutes of doing nothing, the charger entered some kind of partial shutdown. ( I then connected the cold CTek to the same battery, and charging proceeded normally.)

I am letting the Pro-Logix warm up inside my house, and will test it again later today in a warm state .

Has anyone seen this cold weather failure with your Pro-Logix?

What am I missing???

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 6.06.57 PM.png

From the amazon page for that model...

Fully charged batteries wont freeze until very cold temperatures. I can imagine that there may be some logic associated with ambient temperature and state of charge (observed voltage), where it would refuse to charge in case of frozen electrolyte. I cant imagine 30F is that... Weird...

I tested the Pro-Logix at 58F charger temp, and it worked fine. Then I cooled it down to 33F (3 hours in the garage) for a second cold test, and it worked fine.

Either the charger has an intermittent problem, or I made a distracted mistake during the first cold test.

The Pro-Logix does seem to have better cold temp compensation than my CTEK 7002. At 35F the PL maxes out at 15.0V (on the AGM setting) during absorption phase, and the CTEK maxes out at a low 14.7V

I tested the Pro-Logix at 58F charger temp, and it worked fine. Then I cooled it down to 33F (3 hours in the garage) for a second cold test, and it worked fine.

Either the charger has an intermittent problem, or I made a distracted mistake during the first cold test.
What were you connecting to for your ground?

I’ve found that sometimes clamps have a hard time making a firm, low-resistance connection to a metal item if it’s a bit dirty or oxidized.

Just FYI the operating tempature of my Noco Genius 5 is rated -4 F to 104 F.

I have a slightly different Pro-Logix unit that I've used down below -20C as it was used as a maintainer on my Charger SRT8 and M5 as well as more recently my 4-wheeler. Never had an issue.

my pro logix 2320 crapped the bed last month.. wont initiate charging.. clicks , voltage does nothing and 10s later it clicks again and says charge complete.

replaced with a "like new" noco 5 for $40

Back