CTEK MXS 5.0 vs MUS 4.3?

I'm looking for a new modern charger to complement a Sears (Schumacher?) 10A charger that has served well for decades.

One vehicle I have sees regular use, but does only 3.6k miles/yr, so I suspect the battery is at partial capacity most of the time. It's used enough so that putting it on a tender would be a hassle.

So I periodically give it a fuller charge with the Sears, but wouldn't mind something that doesn't need monitoring, and can be hooked up and left to do its thing until finished, as well as having a reconditioning function.

Pretty much decided on either the CTEK MXS 5.0 or the MUS 4.3 Test&Charge, but trying to decide between them.

The tradeoff seems to be temperature monitoring vs. the test functions? Price difference isn't large. Not sure how useful those test functions are, especially when I can pull out the meters and see real numbers for myself.

Ergo, I'm inclined to go with the MXS, unless someone can make a case for the MUS.

Outside dark horse is the Clore PL2320, but CTEK's warranty gives you four more years to see if it craps out, which given modern quality standards, is more assuring.

I recommend a battery "TENDER" or a maintainer indeed. I have the Firebird in my sig on a Schumacher maintainer that I keep plugged in regularly. I have made my own extension cord that is perminately plugged to the maintainer...fed down through and fished through the lower portion of the front grill which also tucks away when not plugged in. I never have to lift my hood.

I was facing a similar decision a while back. The temperature varies widely where I am throughout the year (Great Lakes) and I went with the MXS.

My typical use is that it's mounted on the garage wall beside my DD/only car, which is an AGM-equipped vehicle with a 80% SoC target charging plan. I plug my car in "often" overnight since it's so easy to do so especially with quick connects. "Often" varies with weather conditions and my usage patterns.

I have a CTEK 3300 that works great. IMO get whichever is cheaper as all those lights and bling are there only to sell a product, all those functions are done by mine with the exception of the test. CTEK (and others) have found that by breaking down each function and assign a light to it helps in selling. CTEK make excellent products.

ehhhh. The temp sensing is ambient vs built into the clamp, so really most effective if the charger is sitting on the battery.
It cant tell if that battery is cooking if the unit is sitting on cool concrete, but it can boost the voltage if its cold.

The alternator testing seems like a value add and like it gives some more information.

I have 2 cteks now (7002 and 2500) and like their products but one downside is they dont give you a lot of information, which it looks like they are trying to rectify with the 4.3

TO be honest I like the optimate 6 better than either the 5 or the 4.3

I was in the same dilema....or mxs5.0 or mxs5.0 test&charge (yours MU4.3)...
The price difference was 83e vs 122e...

Took mxs5.0 since you can test everything else with any multimeter or with "built for a particular purpose" made in china devices...and those are cheaper then 45e price difference ;)

I was in the same dilema....or mxs5.0 or mxs5.0 test&charge (yours MU4.3)...
The price difference was 83e vs 122e...

Took mxs5.0 since you can test everything else with any multimeter or with "built for a particular purpose" made in china devices...and those are cheaper then 45e price difference ;)

Especially if the MXS5.0 is thermally compensated, while the 4.3 is not (I thought it was, but perhaps it is just the snowflakwe button, which is potentially just a dumb response?), then the MXS is the no brainer.

I agree with @UncleDave that the temperature sensor on the unit is not at the battery. To get that, the Battery Minder series has remote thermistor capability, as does the 25A ($$) Ctek.

That "snowflake" mode @MU4.3 is the same as "AGM" mode @MXS 5.0......it charges with higher Voltage.....14.7V (what AGM/Gel/StartNStop batteries need)......vs 14,4V for normal LeadAcid ones....

In manual for my MXS 5.0 it strictly says that you can choose "AGM" mode to charge normal LeadAcid batteries in winter conditions!

That "snowflake" mode @MU4.3 is the same as "AGM" mode @MXS 5.0......it charges with higher Voltage.....14.7V (what AGM/Gel/StartNStop batteries need)......vs 14,4V for normal LeadAcid ones....

In manual for my MXS 5.0 it strictly says that you can choose "AGM" mode to charge normal LeadAcid batteries in winter conditions!

Thats what I dont really like about those chargers. That seems like an arbitrary selection, and not really "compensated" in any smart way. Im not sure that the logic adjusts the max voltage, and thus might be mildly abusive, especially in areas where temperatures swing.

For all the discussion Ive had regarding knowing the voltage at any time, voltage displays, etc., a common recommendation I make is the Battery Minder 12248 because it allows you to choose chemistry, rate, and you know definitely that it has the right thermistor, that can be placed in a smart location...

CTEK mxs5.0 is superior to all other CTEKs and other tenders also....
here's why....
it has a true pulse charge mode in maintain mode (long term)
it compensates for voltage drops in real time, sometimes throwing 14.8v briefly at the battery, while in this "sleep" mode, temp dependent. this is really good for a garage that may be 45 degrees in winter, for example.
it has temperature compensation, in real time; summer heat to winter cold; keeps charging safe-- very important for AGMs

after using so many tenders over the years this one is what I have always wanted for the AGMs in my BMWs, and also for the FLA for our Honda.

I use it with this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
Thats what I dont really like about those chargers. That seems like an arbitrary selection, and not really "compensated" in any smart way. Im not sure that the logic adjusts the max voltage, and thus might be mildly abusive, especially in areas where temperatures swing.....
This is what I have recently observed with my CTek 7002 charger (with internal temperature sensor) when charging at 35F, in 14.7V "snowflake" mode:

At the beginning of the absorption phase, the voltage will be 14.4V, and current will be decreasing. Voltage will slowly ramp up to a maximum of 14.7V during absorption.

Absorption phase is not a true CV phase, and does not have adequate temperature compensation for cold battery temperatures IMO.

My Exide AGM battery specs a max charge voltage of 14.6V at 77F, and at 35F it should receive a compensated voltage of around 15.2V , but the CTek does not supply that voltage.

When absorption phase ends, and float phase begins, the voltage is 13.6V at 35F and will slowly ramp up over the next 12 hours to a final value of 13.95V at 31F.

Thanks all, got the order in. Had a 20% AMZ promo expiring in a couple days, and the MUS jumped in price by almost $30 overnight, tripling the difference, so that made it a fait accompli for the MXS.

I recognize that the CTEK may not be the ultimate charger and lack some esoterica, but by most accounts, it's a good unit, with a good warranty, and being more idiot-proof, means that I let others use it without as much fear.

KamelON-
I think you may have it opposite. East Penn told me charge normal flooded lead acid at 14.7 and AGM at 14.4-14.6 (not higher). Just an idea...

Some AGMs (such as East Penn) want a voltage around 14.3 (at 77F) and other AGMs, especially the Odyssey and Northstar, want 14.7V

My Exide AGM specifies a charge voltage of 14.2V - 14.6V at 77degF.

Back