Battery Chargers - Garage Fun and Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
for whoever might care - algorithms performance and features aside of the CTEK vs Optimate - the physical quality of the optimate is superior to the Ctek (both the 7002 and giant 25 Amp unit I have) with sturdier smooth plastic and built in hanging loop.

The CTEK housing is thinner and scrapes easily, but mine has held up after being dragged down the street by my friend who borrowed my truck without disconnecting the Ctek. Idiot. But it has held up.

Both units have absorbed drops bangs and bumps.

Last edited:
After a week of 10x6 running full tilt in so cal heat 100 ambient 120 localized at the are of the charger I may have had my first optimate casualty.

Unit is running but seems to not want to select voltage.

Will report after diagnosis. Will also report on how warranty goes if its failed.

UD

Last edited:
I've been loosely following this thread. It looks like some of the new highly recommended chargers are fairly low current-capable - not the big bulk chargers of yesteryear. I've pulled out my RC battery charger since it's about the same amp capability and tried it. you might find it interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222321465462?chn=ps&dispItem=1

I wonder if there's much of a difference.

In this charger it will output up to 6A for a 12V lead acid. You set the cell voltage max, current max, and battery chemistry. Set at 5 amps, it will dump 5A and then start pulling back at a certain point. Once max cell voltage is reached, it won't go above that voltage but strictly limits the current until it drops to 0 at that voltage. The nice thing about this, is it monitors time and total AH contributed, so you have some metrics when it's done. it also has a discharge mode, but it's power dissipation limited to batteries more appropriate for R/C use, I think it's maybe 120W, so any capacity testing on a car battery would require much patience. However, as a charger, it's great as a set-and-walk-away finish charger.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back