Prius V Five vs Acura tsx Sport wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
FutureDoc, I agree with most of what you wrote, but is the Prius worse than an old truck?
lol.gif
Here the only way I find the Prius worse is the detached responses of the go and stop pedals due to the hybrid interventions, but seriously, the Prius steers and handles much better than an old truck, and even some new trucks.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
FutureDoc, I agree with most of what you wrote, but is the Prius worse than an old truck?
lol.gif
Here the only way I find the Prius worse is the detached responses of the go and stop pedals due to the hybrid interventions, but seriously, the Prius steers and handles much better than an old truck, and even some new trucks.

Well, it is an old truck... it is supposed to act like an old truck which is does very well. I like the vintage C/K so for me what they are is not bad. For a small mid-sized passenger vehicle, the Prius is bad. An old Jeep's ride quality is bad as well, but that has an excuse, the Prius does not.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
lol.gif

Well, it is an old truck... it is supposed to act like an old truck which is does very well. I like the vintage C/K so for me what they are is not bad. For a small mid-sized passenger vehicle, the Prius is bad. An old Jeep's ride quality is bad as well, but that has an excuse, the Prius does not.

Is a Prius really that bad, or just the tires? Almost nothing I drive these days wallows like an old boat, especially cars with mac struts as usually they have limited travel to really mess up suspension geometry.
I think if you gave a Prius equal tires to a TSX you might be surprised how similar their absolute cornering limits might be, perhaps even a slalom run?
On paper the Prius is 300lbs lighter and has 153 ftlbs of torque at low rpm while the TSX only has 170 ftlbs at 4300rpm. For a tight autocross the Prius might not fall that much behind if the TSX can't use its upper rpm power to often.
Also if you dumped the $6k price difference into the Prius it might be made to perform equally?

The Prius is not really that bad. A co-worker of mine has two. One is a 2011 with the 17" wheel/tire package and it handles pretty well for riding so well. His other one is a 2011 with the 15" wheels and FuelMax tires and it handles less well, but it's still plenty confident on most road surfaces. It's a far sight better (in terms of handling and ride comfort) than even modern pickup trucks.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Mike, you're very wrong about this. It may not be an M5 but it's also not a cheap sedan. The TSX has earned respect as a competent vehicle and despite the fact that it is certainly aging, it has a fantastically built interior, a great chassis, and is well-matched to the K24Z engine. It will continue to be a favorable vehicle for years to come.

It certainly has a strong following. Only time will tell in regards to the resale.

It's pretty obvious that the majority of the replies are people making suggestion based on what they prefer instead of taking your parameters in mind. I've driven both, and the TSX is a lot sportier car. That doesn't sound like it's much of an issue for you...

I think they'd both be good choices, but the Prius V would certainly have lower overall ownership costs, including depreciation. One thing I really dislike about the TSX wagon is the amount of space taken up by the rear suspension towers--but I don't know if that's an issue for you. The Prius V actually drives pretty well in terms of driving dynamics. Yes, it's a bit of a toaster on wheels, but it's not a bad-handling toaster on wheels.

It's not surprising that you're looking at both these cars--they're 2 of the only wagons on the market these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back