PRIME GUARD POF-241 NEW FILTER CUT OPEN

Not sure how far the pleats are "embedded" into the end cap ... I'd have to have one of these in my hands to fully evaluate. Maybe @53' Stude can evaluate and add more info.

The picture seems to clearly show the pleats all the way through and "bottoming out" on the opposite face of the endcap.

The picture seems to clearly show the pleats all the way through and "bottoming out" on the opposite face of the endcap.
I does look that way, but an autopsy would tell for sure. Maybe they flow that material around the pleats in a mold type device and then somehow cure it fast with heat - ?? It looks almost like dense/ridged foam of some type.

Maybe they flow that material around the pleats in a mold type device and then somehow cure it fast with heat - ??

Yeah-- that is exactly what I was assuming.

Although this could be totally wrong, I didn't think that white material is any kind of foam, but rather something like glue from a hot glue gun that is cooled and solidified into what is then the endcap.

So, I'm thinking they are making this by:

--Having a flat-bottomed, cup-shaped mold
--Setting the pleated media in the cup (on end, of course)
--Adding the hot glue (or whatever it is) to the proper thickness
--Letting it cool (or actively cooling it)
--Pop it out of the mold

Viola! A hardened glue (or whatever) endcap with the end edge of the filter pleats fully embedded into it!

Although this could be totally wrong, I didn't think that white material is any kind of foam, but rather something like glue from a hot glue gun that is cooled and solidified into what is then the endcap.
Maybe ... only having one in hand for evaluation would verify what the end cap material is. Any number of theories can be produced when just looking at a photo. 53' Stude probably already threw it away, as I know how he operates, lol. If not, maybe he can give more detailed info on the end cap material.

Amazon right now.
I picked up a few

1000002313.jpg

If I had a choice between the pleats being glued to the fiber end cap (like what Fram uses on the EG and TG) compared to this bonded end cap design without any glue, then I'd take the Fram glued design. Frams with the fiber end caps haven't really shown any problems in keeping the end cap bonded to the pleat ends that I've seen posted here.
I agree ZeeOSix.
My preference is the fiber end caps because both the media and the endcap are porous materials that when glued make for a very strong joint connection. In some ways like gluing two pieces of wood together. The joint ends up stronger than the individual parts.

Hi Zee09,
Unfortunately for me my version is $12.50. When their performance specs match a Tough Guard for $7.17 I'll begin to consider them. Also I want to see how the endcap adhesion works. But a tie will go to the USA made product. :)
I don't know your age but your post brought back memories of a button I wore in the early 70s..

1000002323.jpg

Here’s a tidbit. In the actual Premium Guard and EcoGard lines the 241 upsize is the 195 but it is only 2/3 inch longer at 4.1 inches. The rest of the PG made upsizes 3600 equivalents (Carquest Premium for example) are 4.75 inches long like Fram and the rest.

So if you want to upsize a bit but not a lot there’s an option. I’m running one now.

In the early years the PGs and the clones got no love or sales. Well they earned what they have now. Everyone else has went down hill.
Sometimes I wonder if the EV rage is partially responsible. They figured they better start squeezing every dime of profit they can...something happened.

A few tidbits here...
The new Ecogard S241 seemed heavy to me
I grabbed my postal scale and this is what I found.

New K&N 20K S0 1002 weighs 8.4 oz

Old Fram XG 3614 Wire backed 10.2 oz.

New Ecogard S241 10.2 oz

They all fit the same applications

Back