Priced right off the Snap-On truck

image.jpg

Some stuff is a rip off but sure is fun to have.

If you use....I mean "Use Up" air hammer bits.....Snap-on is the best value going.

I think I have every piece to that 1/4" set, Probably didn't pay 1/2 that. Have 2 full sets of Snap-on 1/4" extensions & wouldn't give them up.

Price out some 1/2" deep chrome SO sockets if you want you're socks knocked off.

The power of marketing drives snap-on businesses. A status symbol for techs who
cant afford such high priced tools. At least when you consider opportunity cost of that money.

1/2"drive chrome deeps? Got em.
The best was when I ordered my 3/4 drive set. It was 1800 bucks. A day after I ordered em I fell off my bike and broke my right forearm. The Snap On guy comes in a few days later with my new set all proud of himself for that sale and then sees me in the office in a cast. His expression was priceless.
I remember teasin' him. I'll be able to start payin' you in about six weeks!

Gearwrench takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement if broken. Fine for home but not for a pro.
That one needs mulling over just a bit. I agree Gearwrench are not really pro grade tools but some of their stuff is okay especcialy if its not a highly stressed tool. I use a lot of Hazet and Stahlwille tools, they are pro grade tools in every way Stahlwille bit sockets are considered to be one of the best there is by many yet there is no tool truck and replacement would take weeks from Germany.

So does that mean they and others like old Armstrong, Nepros, Easco, Williams, etc have no place in a pro tool box of course not. I know if I break a socket or other tool there are least 3 or even more of almost everything I can fall back one especially the most commonly used stuff eg 10mm socket.
If I broke my Klann compressors and pullers I would be in a bit of a pickle as I don't have more of them but they are so good it would be an absolute rarity to break one, worst case I go buy another another brand until I get a replacement.

If one insists that the HF set is beneath them then Tekton makes a pretty nice set for $60.

“Beneath them” is a pretty inflammatory statement. Wanting to avoid offshoring every last manufacturing job is different than something being beneath someone.

Open up a factory, buy the building, land, or rent it. Hire people, buy machinery. Have a phone staff. Office and supplies. I bet no one can make it for that price. They only can do it because they have so much legacy structure behind them.
It's higher than Wright ,but that's what it takes to make things in the USA. Thanks to the people who still buy this. Otherwise there will be zero US manufacturers of tools. Maybe one less starbucks a day, or a little less this or that, and there is the money for the set.

I generally agree with this. That said, I think money talks, and stupid money is just insane. Some of the prices discussed here and in other threads are beyond crazy, imo. I know we will all have our own thresholds for what money level is “insane”... For now, there are in many cases still an option or two. But not all, not always. They will keep disappearing, unless at least the higher value option is supported, versus dumping money elsewhere.

Gearwrench takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement if broken. Fine for home but not for a pro.
And this is partly why Snap On can charge the prices they do. With them, you are absolutely paying a high premium for the service aspect / warranty process. To a pro, it is probably worth it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the true professionals know when a stubborn fastener won't come off from experience and they'll use every other trick to get it loose, penentrating fluid, heat etc first. They wouldn't be like a noob trying to go gorilla on a stubborn nut with a breaker bar until that socket breaks for instance.

Of course some tools will fail over time (ratchets may have internal wear) etc.

Reasonable compared to Snap-On, MAC, Hazet, Williams, etc... search Amazon.co.jp, Frank tools used have great prices, but his service is been very miss lately
I don't care but $35 for a single socket from Koken is expensive compared to those others. Williams is a bargain compared to Koken. To each his own.

Just for fun, I looked up the Snap On franchise. I guess their costs of tools is about 2/3 of list so the van/owner makes about 1/3 on the sale. But they have decent monthly costs like 2k/month just for the van.

“Beneath them” is a pretty inflammatory statement. Wanting to avoid offshoring every last manufacturing job is different than something being beneath someone.

I generally agree with this. That said, I think money talks, and stupid money is just insane. Some of the prices discussed here and in other threads are beyond crazy, imo. I know we will all have our own thresholds for what money level is “insane”... For now, there are in many cases still an option or two. But not all, not always. They will keep disappearing, unless at least the higher value option is supported, versus dumping money elsewhere.
I didn't mean to offend you, just that there are OTHER options for American made tools besides REALLY overpriced tool truck tools.

Williams, SK, Tekton. Snap-On doesn't give a crap about the little guy, just the bottom line. They are no different than any other tool manufacturer, so I'll buy from the one with better prices.

Everything I have heard about Snap-On is that their tools while of great quality, the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Back