Priced right off the Snap-On truck

Had a S-O truck stop by today. First time I have been on one in years. I realize that S-O has always been high priced but this is highway robbery.

First I asked about a bit for my air hammer. $67 for a piece of metal! I gave that back to him.

On the way out he handed me this months flyer. Bout spit my soda out when I saw this. A 14 piece 1/4 drive set. Has a ratchet,couple extensions,U-Joint flexy and a few SAE sockets for $346!

$346!

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_115533.jpg
    IMG_20210216_115533.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 254
Whats the warranty?

Good old days you just give'em the worn out broken tool and they'd swap it out

Best toolboxe prices were the heavily discounted repos.

When I have a non snap-on tool that breaks, causes issues, or wears out, it gets replaced with the SnapOn equivalent. You can do well with other cheaper brands of tool sets since most arent used often, and then replace the most frequently used stuff as needed with SO or equivalent competitor quality.

Too many young mechs indepted to the tool trucks. Maybe Biden can get a tool truck loan forgiveness program?

Seen plenty of HF "single use tools" fail when worked for a living. Its a bit different for a diy'er that can stop and head to town for a replacement. Try telling a customer you need to run to HF to get a replacement tool and theyll have to wait a couple more hours.

I like nice tools but man that is a crazy price to pay. I’d rather buy the Williams equivalent on Zoro or something for cheaper. I have only ever bought one thing from the Snap-on truck and that was the special oil filter wrench for the oil filter on my dads Freightliner because Snap-on has a patent on the design and their design is best in my opinion that’s the only reason I bought it. I’ve gotten more stuff from the Mac and Matco truck we had all 3 where I used to work. I pay for everything up front and the tool guys hate me for it lol. I have taken advantage of the warranties on the Snap-on truck though.

Might want to move this to the tool section though. The European cars might not like USA made tools working on them 😂.

Last edited:
I have a couple thousand dollars in SnapOn stuff so far I bet. But I’ve been wrenching for over a decade and 7 years full time. I owe a little over $800 on our truck right now and that’s the most I’ve ever owed, I learned that you need debt to guarantee the truck stops because I’m the only one that buys stuff in our shop. I have everything from HF, Gearwrench, Sunex, IR, to SnapOn. Even just bought a metric and standard set of John Deere wrenches that I’m really proud of.

Snap On chose to sell to people willing to pay high prices, sometimes very high prices for quality tools. They set their business model that way several decades ago. They're not looking to sell tools to everyone, and the prices clearly reflect that. I have a few of their ratchets, they weren't cheap but they are a top quality tool.

I like nice tools but man that is a crazy price to pay. I’d rather buy the Williams equivalent on Zoro or something for cheaper. I have only ever bought one thing from the Snap-on truck and that was the special oil filter wrench for the oil filter on my dads Freightliner because Snap-on has a patent on the design and their design is best in my opinion that’s the only reason I bought it. I’ve gotten more stuff from the Mac and Matco truck we had all 3 where I used to work. I pay for everything up front and the tool guys hate me for it lol. I have taken advantage of the warranties on the Snap-on truck though.

Might want to move this to the tool section though. The European cars might not like USA made tools working on them 😂.
That is odd. I clicked on the tools section.

That is a crazy price!! I like 1/4” drive tools, and I have the Williams set that has those parts (was around $100), and an SK set. I like the SK set better to be honest. More items, less money, more efficient use of case space.

That is a crazy price!! I like 1/4” drive tools, and I have the Williams set that has those parts (was around $100), and an SK set. I like the SK set better to be honest. More items, less money, more efficient use of case space.
Being that it is a 1/4 set it's not designed for extreme torque. Now I buy American as much as I can but this price is highway robbery! A Kobalt,Husky or HF Pro or Icon set will do the same job just as well and for 1/8 the price.

Gotta pay to play. I've got tools from all kinds of companies but the best ones I have are all Snap-On. On the crazy expensive stuff I've often purchased a lesser quality set(gearwrench, proto, S&K) and replaced piece by piece with Snap-On as the other set broke or wore out.

I've never bought into the expensive box craze as it's the tools that make the money not their storage unit and I've never purchased anything on Snap-On credit. I did keep an account with the route driver most of the time and bought enough to make it worth his while to talk with me and take care of any warranty claims for me.

Gotta pay to play. I've got tools from all kinds of companies but the best ones I have are all Snap-On. On the crazy expensive stuff I've often purchased a lesser quality set(gearwrench, proto, S&K) and replaced piece by piece with Snap-On as the other set broke or wore out.

I've never bought into the expensive box craze as it's the tools that make the money not their storage unit and I've never purchased anything on Snap-On credit. I did keep an account with the route driver most of the time and bought enough to make it worth his while to talk with me and take care of any warranty claims for me.
I have lots of S-O tools too. But I never paid that much for them. Seems like their prices have gone stupid in the last 5 or so years. I remember paying $349 for my 8-19mm long pattern wrench set and getting the 3/8-3/4 set free with them. Hurt a lot less that way.

Can a mechanic making a living at a dealership or indie shop make enough to justify high end tools? Has the cost of tools gotten away from income?

OTOH, if you can afford nice things and appreciate the feel of really good stuff buy it!

Back