Price on modified Capri?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at the car yesterday and driving it today. The body is average. Several small spots rusted through on the body and hood. The motor is all there and seems to be done correctly. The cam and carb are a little too big for the street but not awful at idle. When it comes to Mustangs I know there is a wide range depending on condition. Does the Capri make it any different price range or should I just look at it as a Fox body stang?

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/3846214189.html

Look at it as a Mercury Capri. Thats what your buying, and thats what you'll be selling some day. If the seller is working hard to sell you the idea that its really a Mustang, that should provide insight into the trouble he's having selling it. walk away.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Does the Capri make it any different price range or should I just look at it as a Fox body stang?

I'd think it being a "Capri" would lower the value, since it's not actually a "Mustang" even though it's the same structure and mechanicals as a Mustang. The seller is probably adding the Mustang name because nobody remembers what a "Capri" was.

79K is NOT "low miles" for that vintage of vehicle, but it is awfully low for the engine to have been rebuilt. I'd be really concerned about the quality of that engine rebuild. I'd also be concerned about the rust. Rust is like an iceberg: you can only see a fraction of what's actually there.

No price, I notice. Not a good sign.

Originally Posted By: daddi
How much is it??

He's asking $5000 firm on it. I asked for paper work on the engine build, he bought it this way and has no records...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daddi
How much is it??

He's asking $5000 firm on it. I asked for paper work on the engine build, he bought it this way and has no records...

I'd walk away. Unless I really, really had to have a Mercury "not-Mustang" with an iffy engine rebuild and unknown rust.

I remember those when they were new on the lot. Subsequent owners tended to be young kids who drove the cars hard and neglected/abused them. Used Capris tended to sell for less than Mustangs for the simple reason that they didn't have the Mustang name on them. If you buy it, expect to discover lots of (potentially expensive) problems once you start working on it.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Used Capris tended to sell for less than Mustangs for the simple reason that they didn't have the Mustang name on them. If you buy it, expect to discover lots of (potentially expensive) problems once you start working on it.

That's what I was looking for. Didn't know if price wise they had a niche or were looked down upon. The owner is bringing it by our shop today for us to bleed the brakes on it, so it gives me good chance to drive it some and get it on the lift to thoroughly look it over.

What do these cars normally go for? And if that info is unavailable, wheat does a similar 1982 Mustang go for?

Personally, I would avoid any modified car.

Hard to say without looking UNDER the car. The car is in the rust belt, so I'd go over it with some care.

It might be worth a bit more if it was nice, but frankly it looks rough.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Hard to say without looking UNDER the car. The car is in the rust belt, so I'd go over it with some care.

That's what would worry me. Those things did rust, like all cars of that era, and much of the rust will be hidden deep underneath. Nobody took care of them when they were newer.

He's asking $5000 firm on it.

I'm pretty sure you can get a 1986 for that or less.

1986 was the first year of fuel injection for the Capri and Mustang GT.

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Got it up on the lift yesterday to check it out. The car is clean underneath, minus the giant rust hole in the frame! It's bad enough it was cracked around the shock mounts and looks like it could give out any time. Never hurts to look. I'm not walking away from this one, I'm running as fast as possible.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back