Premium Guard PG111 - HPL Engine Flush Oil Results

If you had seen deposits in the engine before the flush, roughly how much and where? Is it reasonable to assume previous oil was usually not synthetic? Did the car make a lot of short trips per oil change?
If the car made a lot of short trips, the oil never got hot enough for a synthetic oil to help with any high-temp properties.

If you had seen deposits in the engine before the flush, roughly how much and where? Is it reasonable to assume previous oil was usually not synthetic? Did the car make a lot of short trips per oil change?

I took a look inside the engine with a borescope before using this oil. I found a lot of varnish but very little sludge. There was only a small amount in the lifter valley.

The engine had/has an oil consumption issue where it would be down 0.75-1 quart at 3k miles when she'd roll it into Jiffy Lube or Walmart Lube Center. During the oil change with the flush oil, it was consuming about the same rate for the first 1,500 miles and then slowed down. It was 1 quart down at 5k miles when I changed it. Given these results with the high amount of crud in the filter, I'm thinking there was a good bit of oil coked around the rings (likely from inferior, volatile base oils) that was causing the consumption and was cleaned up a bit by the flush oil. I have a feeling this engine still needs more cleaning.

She's always gone with the cheapest option which is likely conventional though she said she did get synthetic "a couple times when there was a special."

Her work commute is short at just 3 miles each way. She drives out to our house once a week about 40 miles each way.

I took a look inside the engine with a borescope before using this oil. I found a lot of varnish but very little sludge. There was only a small amount in the lifter valley.

The engine had/has an oil consumption issue where it would be down 0.75-1 quart at 3k miles when she'd roll it into Jiffy Lube or Walmart Lube Center. During the oil change with the flush oil, it was consuming about the same rate for the first 1,500 miles and then slowed down. It was 1 quart down at 5k miles when I changed it. Given these results with the high amount of crud in the filter, I'm thinking there was a good bit of oil coked around the rings (likely from inferior, volatile base oils) that was causing the consumption and was cleaned up a bit by the flush oil. I have a feeling this engine still needs more cleaning.

She's always gone with the cheapest option which is likely conventional though she said she did get synthetic "a couple times when there was a special."

Her work commute is short at just 3 miles each way. She drives out to our house once a week about 40 miles each way.

But remember, we've been told Supertech is just as good as Mobil 1....

The API approvals, particularly historically, haven't set the bar very high. When you get into the Euro stuff, that's where the playing field gets levelled because the limits are so much more strict, the tests that much more difficult and subsequently the bar astronomically higher. That's evident even in just the basic specs like Noack.

I've seen inside the valve covers of our 5.7L HEMI's at work on NAPA bulk 5w-20 (Valvoline). They look nothing like my Mobil 1 engines, which are on much longer OCI's. Yes, anecdotal, but you see enough of the same or similar engines run on different lubes it's pretty easy to discern that there's a difference between the tiers of what's on the shelf.

The ratio is 1 quart of flush to 5 quarts of oil.

The level of ester is safe at that ratio so there would not be a frequency issue. The need to clean again would be relative to how clean the oil you run is. If you are running Mobil 1 you will likely be in good shape.

I do not believe there would be any issues with our choice of ester and RTV.

Thank you for the questions.

David
Is that one quart of flush and 4 quarts of oil in an engine that takes only 5 quarts? Or do I need to calculate a ratio based on a 6 quart capacity?

Is that one quart of flush and 4 quarts of oil in an engine that takes only 5 quarts? Or do I need to calculate a ratio based on a 6 quart capacity?

Use one quart for replacement for a sump capacity of 5 quarts or higher. If it's an 8 quart sump, still one quart is fine. Keep it around 10-20% of sump capacity.

When using HPL's engine oil with alkylated naphthalenes and esters or engine flush, I would HIGHLY suggest changing your oil filter after a couple thousand miles and inspecting to see how much carbon the oil has cleaned from the engine. As we saw in my Durango, which I didn't think had anything to clean from the engine internals, you don't want to run around with a filter that bypasses because of the load of crude. If you see a load of stuff cleaned from the internals, then you need to keep changing your filter at a decreased interval.
@wwilson, I will be using the HPL EC30 next in the wife's V6 Pentastar Durango soon.
I see quite a bit of residual carbon buildup remaining captured in the can style filters.
Just thinking the cartridge provides some what of a disadvantage here to catch it?
What did you see on your Durango, thank you.

@wwilson, I will be using the HPL EC30 next in the wife's V6 Pentastar Durango soon.
I see quite a bit of residual carbon buildup remaining captured in the can style filters.
Just thinking the cartridge provides some what of a disadvantage here to catch it?
I would think a cartridge would leave some opportunity for the “loose” carbon to make its way back into the system as the oil left in the housing drains back in as the filter is removed.

In a spin-on filter, I don’t really care if the carbon is on/in the element or in the can, as long as the media was not plugged to the point that the bypass was operating frequently. In the can, by whatever means necessary, means that it’s not in the engine. 😉

I would think a cartridge would leave some opportunity for the “loose” carbon to make its way back into the system as the oil left in the housing drains back in as the filter is removed.

In a spin-on filter, I don’t really care if the carbon is on/in the element or in the can, as long as the media was not plugged to the point that the bypass was operating frequently. In the can, by whatever means necessary, means that it’s not in the engine. 😉
I agree with both points.

Filter and oil with 21,000 miles:

Next oil run with 5,000 miles on the oil and filter:

Back