Premium gas in a Lexus (Toyota)?

Was at a family friend's house yesterday and this topic came up. Why does Lexus require premium gas when Toyota doesn't? For example, the 2012 Lexus ES350 comes with a 3.5L V6. The same motor the 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2012 Toyota Camry, etc came with. The Sienna and Camry don't require premium gas. But, the Lexus does. I had no answer for this. Looking for some insight from some fellow forum members.

Sometimes it's the same engine with a different tune. It's pretty simple...just check the owner's manual. My 2019 RX 350 only requires 87 just like the Toyota variants and so I put 87 in it. If the owner's manual said to put +91 in it then I would.

Was at a family friend's house yesterday and this topic came up. Why does Lexus require premium gas when Toyota doesn't? For example, the 2012 Lexus ES350 comes with a 3.5L V6. The same motor the 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2012 Toyota Camry, etc came with. The Sienna and Camry don't require premium gas. But, the Lexus does. I had no answer for this. Looking for some insight from some fellow forum members.
I don't think that Lexus requires premium gas, mine doesn't, but it comes with a warning, not to go below 76 octane.
I was told years ago by a Lexus employee, that all tests were done on 91 octane. Now due to technology, the computer can compensate
when a lower octane is used, but only so much that's why the warning not to go below 76 octane, no such warning for high octane as if above 91 the only damage is to your wallet! ;)

Lexus ES 350 manufactured between 2006 – 2012 take premium gasoline with an octane rating of 91. Lexus ES 350 manufactured from 2013 onwards take regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87.

Not sure about the validity of this info.

The Sienna did use to require premium at some point. I remember Car and Driver complaining about it and taking points off for it :unsure:

non-Toyota examples:
The 4th gen Maxima was the same as the I30 for octane: premium recommended 95-97, regular for 98-99

The 3.5L LH cars in the 2000s (Intrepid R/T and the Chrysler equivalent), requires premium on the Chrysler but not the Dodge. The difference is about 10 hp.

For some Hyundais, particuarly the Genesis models before Genesis became its own brand, Hyundai published separate power numbers for regular and premium.

My guess is that it is recommended and not required. The question is, since the power ratings are based on regular for the Toyota variants and premium for the Lexus variants, can you get the Lexus power numbers out of a Toyota variant when running premium? My guess is yes as I imagine the ECM is identical as well.

91 octane gas promises you this over 87 octane

dream.jpg
courtesy Dreamtimes

The older Toyota 3.0/3.3 (MZ) V6 recommended 91 or better, no matter what brand/model it was in
My Camry (3MZ) noticably pings and reduces power on 87 vs 93
My SE V6 rolled off the same Japan (Tsutsumi/Toyota, Aichi) production line as the similar vintage ES330, they're mechanically identical (engine/transmission wise)
I don't recall a 2GR (naturally aspirated) V6 calling for anything more than regular 87
Supercharged 2GR in the Evora notwithstanding
Newer 2GR variants maybe different, I'm not sure

I would check each respective vehicles manual, the same engine can be tuned differently in different models/trims

I don't believe your 2012 ES 350 requires premium gas:

Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain/Performance
The ES 350’s aluminum 3.5-liter V6 produces 268 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 248 lb.-ft. peak torque at 4,700 rpm using 87-octane regular fuel.

Which fuel grade should I use in my Lexus?
1684103895124.jpeg

From the owners manual of our 2010 Lexus with the 2GR-FE:

Premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.

I know a lot of Manufacturers “recommend“ premium fuel in their performance versions of certain engines shared across the line of vehicles, but do they say it requires it?

An old example, but my brother’s Spec-V 2.5 Sentra recommends premium, and the 2.5 Altima recommends 87, because the Spec-V has 10.5-1 compression. It’s possible that the Lexus is pulling timing to compensate for knocking on 87, which means less power & likely lower MPGs too.

My GS350 requires premium. it drives comparatively like a pig on regular and does ping some. Mpg is dismal with either.

both of my Volvos were the same, including the NA one and the turbo. They would drive on regular, but they were sad. Sad Volvos are no fun, and the NA one was almost dangerous as it took much prodding to accelerate.

Back