Toyota Lexus corroded battery terminal

The Lexus 86 month battery in our 2013 GS350 F Sport has been in the car for almost 6 years Gas was corroding the positive terminal; I cleaned it a month ago and checked it yesterday. Blue corrosion again. Decided to just swap out the battery to stop further damage to starter wire, etc.

Bought a Costco Interstate Group 24 battery, pulled out the Lexus battery and dropped the terminal in a cup of baking soda and hot water. Fizzed up nicely. Anyways, the terminal is toast; part is corroded away.
Lexus wants like $38 for a new positive terminal, part # 90982-05062. Can I use an aftermarket or just bite the bullet? Maybe Toyota has the terminal for a few bucks cheaper?

Sheesh.

Toyota has one for around $29 - P/N 90982-05054. Maybe call your parts counter and discuss it. My Toyota shop stocks only one of these terminal ends and it's the least expensive one that Toyota sells and it fits everything. He saved me around $15 on this one item.

For the cost, just get it from the dealer. $38 for a genuine part is a low cost to pay for something that passes a couple hundred amps of power whe you start the engine.
This was my thought as well. I was surprised to see part of the original eaten away. I was more surprised when I saw the price... Ouch!

My brother has a Lexus badged Land Cruiser FJZ80. The Lexus parts are always more $$$, as is labor. Get the Toyota part, or crimp a copper lug and use a military flag type terminal.

Be sure to get some dielectric grease around the terminal base. And don’t over tighten.

His Lexus will reject that Nissan part and leave him stranded. :oops:
I would just reuse it after cleaning it. imho Lexus parts are generally expensive without any reason. Maybe there is a Toyota version because many of the bags on OE parts have both names I thought. I'm thinking this thread is headed towards throwing the baby out with the bath water, it started as seeing corrosion on the positive terminal. Try to remember we're pretty much hairless apes with advanced tools (I absolutely loved that and keep using it in my day to day), there is often a tendency to get carried away on this forum :giggle:

I had the same problems, cleaned the terminal, put the pads like Trav mentioned and sprayed with the battery terminal spray. Corrosion never came back.

if I were to replace the terminal (and I would prefer to clean it) I would use cheap generic aftermarket terminals. That is what you are getting from the dealer anyway, just with a steep markup.

Noco pads on order from Amazon - thanks @Trav. I did clean the cables, tray, etc; they seem OK but internally? Dunno for sure.
Went to the huge Toyota dealership parts to save a few bucks on terminal and stock up on a few oil filters for friend's and family's cars I service. Yep, they had the positive battery terminal; $58. No thank you...

Off to Lexus of Stevens Creek; they think their cars are made out of gold but the parts department is excellent. Gave me 10% discount. 42 bones out the door, including the governor's tax. Ouch! Post #2 looks pretty good right about now...

A little dielectric grease and not-too-tight and off we go! Thanks @JHZR2
I wonder if they make these terminals intentionally sacrificial? Does that make sense? Hey, at least it's clean, right?

1712692001726.jpg

Last edited:
Check that corrosion has not gone down both cable strands, if so replace the cable(s), I have seen the cable ends including the ground get pretty ratty, buy OE Toyota/Lexus only, aftermarket stuff is another subject and in most cases best avoided.

Edit: get some of these, they work well.

That NOCO terminal protector works great.
I have it in all of my Toyota and Lexus.

As for the terminal, this is the most economical:

Noco pads on order from Amazon - thanks @Trav. I did clean the cables, tray, etc; they seem OK but internally? Dunno for sure.
Went to the huge Toyota dealership parts to save a few bucks on terminal and stock up on a few oil filters for friend's and family's cars I service. Yep, they had the positive battery terminal; $58. No thank you...

Off to Lexus of Stevens Creek; they think their cars are made out of gold but the parts department is excellent. Gave me 10% discount. 42 bones out the door, including the governor's tax. Ouch! Post #2 looks pretty good right about now...

A little dielectric grease and not-too-tight and off we go! Thanks @JHZR2
I wonder if they make these terminals intentionally sacrificial? Does that make sense? Hey, at least it's clean, right?

View attachment 213315
You may want to check your alternator output to make sure it is not overcharging and boiling the battery because of a bad diode or regulator.

You may want to check your alternator output to make sure it is not overcharging and boiling the battery because of a bad diode or regulator.
Thanks for the tip.
That was my first thought and check. Lexus battery did not look bulged and had 12.4V. Alternator is charging at 14.15V at cold idle.
I generally suspect batteries after 5 years. This one is 6. Our mild climate is not hard on them but better safe than sorry.

Back