Battery negative terminal loose

Last weekend, I prepped batteries for winter (or so I thought). There was a ton of corrosion on the positive terminals of both cars (2015 Forester, 2006 Sentra). Both are Costco batteries.

I cleaned the corrosion with baking soda water, applied dielectric grease on both the terminals and put these washers before attaching the terminals. No issues all week.

This morning Sentra wouldn't start as if the battery is completely dead. I checked the battery and the negative terminal was loose. Both terminals are fully tightened, and the negative terminal is still loose.

Should I just clean the dielectric grease from the negative terminal and attach the connector again?

Although there was no corrosion on the negative terminal, I don't want to do ANYTHING in winter due to my Raynaud's, hence doing as much preventative maintenance as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Two choices - both of which I have done.

I am assuming this is a post-type battery?

1 - replace the cable end with a new post clamp that will maintain proper clamp on the battery post
2 - Drill a tiny hole and run a small stainless screw between the post and the clamp on the side opposite of the wire

If you are using the treated felt washers, that could be part of your problem.
Also, some battery brands and sizes have slightly smaller negative posts than the OEM batteries. I discovered this with a 2013 KIA Optima.

The same thing happened on my dad's car back in the day.. It was a Ford Aspire, KIA body but mazda engine.. Who knows who spec'd the battery.. But.. That battery clamp never would tighten to hold onto the negative post.. those battery shims (got them from the local auto parts store) that @jayjr1105 posted at amazon..is what we ended up using to take up the slack.. Had to smush it in there but worked well!

Are you saying the rermilal bolts are tight and where the bolt runs through the terminal is touching? If so use a saw or cut off tool to remove a bit of the metal. lead where the bolt runs through the terminal to allow the terminal to clamp tighter.

If you are using the treated felt washers, that could be part of your problem.
Those Noco washers are (most likely treated) felt washers. They are sticky to the touch. My suspicion was dielectric grease.

I never had a problem in the past I have been using this Kirkland battery. It is old (~8 years) but it works. While I do not want to get stuck in winter and it is due for replacement but at the moment I don't want to spend $110.

The glory of JC/Clarios batteries... You'll likely need a new battery cable, and an East Penn made battery. I dumped Johnson Controls' garbage years ago.
How do you find who is the maker? Costco sells Interstate batteries and was told they are 'made' by Interstate (when I asked if its Johnson Controls or East Penn)!!

How? Do you use nail as a shim? Just for my knowledge in case of an emergency.
Like my post described, but I would prefer to use a stainless screw to prevent corrosion.

Just drive it vertically between the soft Pb post and the clamping ring.

Clamp the ring (post clamp) down as tight as you can.
Drill small hole on outside edge of battery post furthest from the clamping portion (usually has the wire)
Insert small stainless screw (or roofing nail) between battery post and clamping ring

Done.

It is "redneck", but it works great. If you use stainless, I have never had them fail.

How do you find who is the maker? Costco sells Interstate batteries and was told they are 'made' by Interstate (when I asked if its Johnson Controls or East Penn)!!
Interstate is JC/Clarios, most common East Penn ones are Deka, Duracell, & NAPA. If you're desperate, you could wrap the post with a piece of bare copper sheet (even stripped wire in an emergency) to make the post bigger so the clamp will tighten. Put a nice blob of grease on it when you're done, that & the felt washers will slow down the corrosion from the acid leaking out around the post.

How? Do you use nail as a shim? Just for my knowledge in case of an emergency.
Not a shim but more of a wedge, here is a guy using a screw, remember this should be a temp fix until you can fix it right. We did a lot of things on the farm to get by until we had time to fix it right.

You can call it temporary, but if you do it right, I have never had them fail (don't use roofing nails)
Wasn't my truck but a farmer I worked for used a roofing nail, he also had a rag stuffed in the oil fill hole. This truck was not licensed and never left the farm.

When a battery develops corrosion on the terminals it indicates the battery is leaking gas where the terminal exits the case. These batteries are not long for this world.

Back