Preferred indoor heating/cooling temp

During winter, 62 at night and when we are away, 66 when we are there during the day

During summer, 74-75 degrees is cool enough.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
We finally gave in and bought a small TV for our room. We've got a pretty big master bedroom, with a master bath, so we hunker down in here and keep the heat off in the rest of the place.

This way, we can keep the heat at 70F+ in the room and let the rest of the house drop down to around 45-50F.

When it gets colder I'll maintain the the rest of the living spaces and the basement > 40F, to prevent freezing.

Dude...that reminds me of the movie "A Christmas Carol" where Ebeneezer had a nice sized house, but quarantined himself to one room with the fireplace.
49.gif

12.gif

As for me I prefer living in my entire house 21C (70F) day-time, 19.5C (67F) night-time during the heating months. During the warmer months we don't have A/C so we use ambient outdoor temps to regulate, which we are quite proficient at keeping the house at almost the same temps.

Last edited:
I don't like being cold so our thermostat is set to 72F in the winter. In the summer we keep it at 74F. We're in a brand new house that's very efficient so our electric bills weren't too bad in the summer and so far the gas bills have been very low so I expect even through the winter months they won't be as high as we saw in our old house (which was not that old of a house but had poor insulation, not so great windows and an inefficient furnace)

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
We finally gave in and bought a small TV for our room. We've got a pretty big master bedroom, with a master bath, so we hunker down in here and keep the heat off in the rest of the place.

This way, we can keep the heat at 70F+ in the room and let the rest of the house drop down to around 45-50F.

When it gets colder I'll maintain the the rest of the living spaces and the basement > 40F, to prevent freezing.

Dude...that reminds me of the movie "A Christmas Carol" where Ebeneezer had a nice sized house, but quarantined himself to one room with the fireplace.
49.gif

12.gif

As for me I prefer living in my entire house 21C (70F) day-time, 19.5C (67F) night-time during the heating months. During the warmer months we don't have A/C so we use ambient outdoor temps to regulate, which we are quite proficient at keeping the house at almost the same temps.

You're comparing my bedroom with that of a mid-19th-century English one? Weird...

Seriously, some of you are blowing my conservative use of heat way out of proportion. The actual number of times we "confine" ourselves to the room is objectively, prudently small, but will absolutely save us a modest amount on our electricity bills.

IMO, anyone who heats an entire house to 70F when it's -10F outside is a lunatic! When those days come, I will leave the thermostat in the living spaces at 50F and we'll retire to our 70F+ bedroom, where's it's nice and cozy.

//

Over the weekend we had family over (for three days). Every room in our house was maintained well above 70F. As soon as they left, I turned the heat back off in the spare bedrooms and in the living room. My mother-in-law also had a ceramic heater going most of the time, to keep her hands warm. lol

It stayed > 70F for the rest of the evening, until we went to bed. It felt too hot for me, so I changed into shorts and a t-shirt...

Today, we left the heat off and watched a movie and some TV shows in our 60F living room. The meter in our living room is reading 60.1F and 51% humidity as I type this.

IMO, anyone who heats an entire house to 70F when it's -10F outside is a lunatic! When those days come, I will leave the thermostat in the living spaces at 50F and we'll retire to our 70F+ bedroom, where's it's nice and cozy.

What would you do if you lived here? If I was thinking of not heating certain parts of my house, my view is that I wouldn't need those parts of my house, and it's time to talk to a realtor. I'm not watching TV in a 60 F living room, either, unless I've put a hot tub in there and am sitting in it, or put Shannow's sauna in my living room.
wink.gif

Heck, my garage doesn't go below 50 F any day of the year.

Originally Posted by Garak

What would you do if you lived here? If I was thinking of not heating certain parts of my house, my view is that I wouldn't need those parts of my house, and it's time to talk to a realtor. I'm not watching TV in a 60 F living room, either, unless I've put a hot tub in there and am sitting in it, or put Shannow's sauna in my living room.
wink.gif

Kinda answered your own question: I don't live there. I live here, where both winter and summer temperatures are pretty mild. I get to use my entire house whenever we want, but we PREFER to save money by spending more (not all, mind you) time in the bedroom, where it can be maintained at a much cozier temperature than the rest of the house, so we can save money. I would think that BITOG, of all places, would understand this!

Besides, I only keep the heat off when it doesn't need to be on. The heat MUST BE on when it's significantly below freezing, so the pipes don't freeze. The heat is set to 45-50F, unless we feel like coming out here to do stuff. Maybe you think that 50F is too cold for doing most tasks, but I don't. I can hang out, do chores, and many other things at 50-55F. It's simply a matter of what each of us is used to. If you absolutely can't stand anything below 70F, then by all means heat your entire house to 70F - that's your prerogative, brother.

My prerogative is to be comfortable, but not wasteful. It's now 59.9F here in my living room, where I'm currently sitting in my recliner, typing this message, and I'm perfectly comfortable. At 55, I might put a hat on to stay comfortable. At 50F, I might even us a blanket, if I'm not doing anything but sitting out here.

Again, I'm not saying that we barricade the bedroom door shut and hibernate for the winter. We simply choose to spend the latter part of the evening in our bedroom, where the wife can watch TV and I can surf the etherwebs on our PC or my phone.

If my wife thinks it's too cold to cook and eat dinner in the kitchen/dining room, we turn the heat on for that period of time. The house IS pretty well sealed, so if we turn the heat on to raise the temperature in the living spaces for some period of time, it usually stays in that range for some time thereafter, meaning we don't need to rush back to the cozy bedroom right away, as soon as we finish dinner or whatever we raised the temperature to do.

Seriously, guys, our room is very cozy and it has everything we have outside.

wink.gif

Kinda answered your own question: I don't live there. I live here, where both winter and summer temperatures are pretty mild. I get to use my entire house whenever we want, but we PREFER to save money by spending more (not all, mind you) time in the bedroom, where it can be maintained at a much cozier temperature than the rest of the house, so we can save money. I would think that BITOG, of all places, would understand this!

Besides, I only keep the heat off when it doesn't need to be on. The heat MUST BE on when it's significantly below freezing, so the pipes don't freeze. The heat is set to 45-50F, unless we feel like coming out here to do stuff. Maybe you think that 50F is too cold for doing most tasks, but I don't. I can hang out, do chores, and many other things at 50-55F. It's simply a matter of what each of us is used to. If you absolutely can't stand anything below 70F, then by all means heat your entire house to 70F - that's your prerogative, brother.

My prerogative is to be comfortable, but not wasteful. It's now 59.9F here in my living room, where I'm currently sitting in my recliner, typing this message, and I'm perfectly comfortable. At 55, I might put a hat on to stay comfortable. At 50F, I might even us a blanket, if I'm not doing anything but sitting out here.

Again, I'm not saying that we barricade the bedroom door shut and hibernate for the winter. We simply choose to spend the latter part of the evening in our bedroom, where the wife can watch TV and I can surf the etherwebs on our PC or my phone.

If my wife thinks it's too cold to cook and eat dinner in the kitchen/dining room, we turn the heat on for that period of time. The house IS pretty well sealed, so if we turn the heat on to raise the temperature in the living spaces for some period of time, it usually stays in that range for some time thereafter, meaning we don't need to rush back to the cozy bedroom right away, as soon as we finish dinner or whatever we raised the temperature to do.

Seriously, guys, our room is very cozy and it has everything we have outside.

I thought I kept it cold at 68!
smile.gif
You might have fun with a Nest thermostat to chase some leafs, I tried for a minute but it was a moving target where my low temp of 68 was good enough for a few weeks to earn a leaf but then was not good enough after that. You would definitely earn all the leafs with a Nest.
smile.gif

In the winter we keep it at 64 or 65 when awake and occupied, 62 at night or unoccupied. If we go away for more than a day it's set to 55-58. It's easy to wear a sweater, but we are rarely uncomfortable. If we are, we occasionally set it a bit higher, but that's maybe a few days out of the year.

In the summer if it's a heatwave and we're cooling the whole house, it's 75 when occupied, 77 when not. For sleeping we set the AC to 72 as we both like to sleep cool, but the downstairs is kept at the higher temp.

I suppose I'm fortunate that it's not terribly costly to heat here. Of course, certain attempts at efficiency by regulation haven't been so effective. Sitting at my desk next to an incandescent lamp provided some heating, much more effective than an LED or CFL.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
I thought I kept it cold at 68!
smile.gif
You might have fun with a Nest thermostat to chase some leafs, I tried for a minute but it was a moving target where my low temp of 68 was good enough for a few weeks to earn a leaf but then was not good enough after that. You would definitely earn all the leafs with a Nest.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, most of our thermostats are line-voltage.
21.gif

The living room heat was retrofitted with a solenoid, but our use of heat in the living room (and main space) changes every single day. In the middle of winter, we may spend zero hours out there when the days are long and we end them dead tired; we may spend a few hours there, when we feel like watching movies on the bigger TV; we may keep the heat at 70F all day and night long, if we've got people staying over, sleeping on the pull-out or sectional.

I've thought about something like the Nest, but I can't imagine it would have any worth, at least not for what it costs!

I suppose I'm fortunate that it's not terribly costly to heat here. Of course, certain attempts at efficiency by regulation haven't been so effective. Sitting at my desk next to an incandescent lamp provided some heating, much more effective than an LED or CFL.

Like I mentioned, our first full-month bill in our new house last winter was $570!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never pay even close to that much ever again, so long as we live here. I plan to do that by:

1. Near-term: limiting heat input into living spaces and spending more time in the bedroom, as mentioned

2. Mid-term: we're currently working on adding solar panels to our entire south-facing roof.

3. mid-to-long-term: adding/upgrading insulation.

I'd be happy to pay $250/month with the heat set at 65F all day long, but that's currently not the case.j
To be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't continue the same practices I currently am, even if I was able to significantly reduce my monthly electric bill. 55-60F doesn't bother me and the extra money saved would still go toward better things, such as nicer vacations, as infrequent as they are. I also like gizmos, so it would be much easier to justify a gizmo that costs a few hundo, if we were saving hundreds monthly on our electricity bill. I think that makes pretty good sense.

//

The same principle goes toward vehicles, as I mentioned. I bundle up and don't use heat on my 11 mile commute to work, even if it's 0F out, which allows the engine to get up to full operating temperatures; this allows for better mileage and likely helps with oil longevity and minimizes warm-up wear. Note: my garage usually stays 20F > outside.

My wife's vehicle probably sees much more severe service, since she's the one toting around our little ones. I'm fine with getting 30+ MPG in my Legacy, while her mileage is down in the low 20's. It is what it is, and that's fine.

Yes, that's high. I never paid that much for heating, even when our natural gas was through the roof. If it were to go like that, SaskEnergy execs would probably be strung up on Victoria Avenue like Mussolini.
wink.gif

Yes, that's high. I never paid that much for heating, even when our natural gas was through the roof. If it were to go like that, SaskEnergy execs would probably be strung up on Victoria Avenue like Mussolini.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I think my highest every was around $350 to $400; I'd have to look back. As I recall, it was a pretty brutally cold month and one in which I spent a lot of time in the garage with the heat elevated, not to mention the price of natural gas being elevated.

Last edited:
Even in my last house, which wasn't as efficient as this one, we were on equal billing for our natural gas and it was $80 a month for many years (and I think we were overpaying slightly in that house which is possibly why our bill last month here in our new house was only $10 as they must have refunded our overpayment, and now we're not going to do equal billing)

As long as our bills continue to be low in the new house we'll keep the house at 72F 24/7 (except when we're on vacation) If our bills were $200 a month or more I'd definitely keep the heat setting lower.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
It is super interesting to see the various responses. I have to say I am in the camp of 'when you pay the heating/ac bill you can control the temperature' - I now see where my father was coming from and I have turned into him.
smile.gif

To those that go above 70 to heat......how much lip balm and moisturizer do you go through?? Trying to do that in Atlanta would probably put me at ~20-30% humidity in the deep of winter. Low indoor humidity can be just as problematic as high indoor humidity so I try to stay as close to the 40-50% as possible.

You've never read any of these types of threads on the internet? I see the same responses here as I've seen over the last 20 years.

We live about 35 south of Atlanta. Believe it or not, the climate down here is slightly different.

Winter:

6:00 am - Heat to 67
8:00 am - heat to 69-70 (wife works at home)
9:00 pm - heat to 66
10:00 pm - heat to 63

Summer:

8:30 am - Cool to 74-75 (per wife)
7:00 pm - Cool to 72-71 (per me)
10:00 pm - Cool to 71

If I ever build another house again, I don't care if it's near here or in FL, I'm putting in radiant floor heat. There is nothing that compares.

Originally Posted by thooks

If I ever build another house again, I don't care if it's near here or in FL, I'm putting in radiant floor heat. There is nothing that compares.

I agree. As incredibly manly as I am (
Trolling.gif
), my one (and only, I tell ya!) weakness is cold feet. If I could come in to the bedroom and immediately warm up my tootsies, I'd be one happy camper!

One of the things I insisted on when we were deciding on upgrades for our new house was heated floors in the master ensuite. I love them! I turn the temperature up on the floor overnight and have it so it's around 34C when I'm getting ready in the morning. I wish we could have gotten them in the entire house but that would've cost a fortune.

Back