Preferred indoor heating/cooling temp

So want to bring up an age old battle that I am sure occurs in most 2+ people households especially now that it is becoming winter again for us in the northern hemisphere. What do you have your heat....and for sake of argument cooling temp set to?

My condo is heat pump equipped as have been 100% of my previous apartments because I am in more temperate climates where heat pumps will suffice 99% of the time, there are those very rare low to mid teen days here in Atlanta where the super expensive electric heat strips need to kick on as the heat pump just can't cut it.

Anyhow I find 68 to be perfectly acceptable whereas my better half finds it "freezing" so it is a constant battle over temperature. Every time I find it getting warm and find the thermostat bumped up to 70 my argument that seems to work brilliantly is that my other half is more than welcome to manage and pay the electric bill, that usually works to have it set back to 68 for a week or so before the "I'm freezing" complaints start up again. Even with my Nest I don't schedule any setbacks while away as I understand heat pump systems will typically cost more to bring a place back to temp after 8-10 hours away versus just maintaining temp 24/7.

Luckily during the more expensive cooling season we both are good with 74 degrees while at home with a setback away temp of the system being off, fortunately I am ground floor with units on 3 sides (above and each adjoining wall) so the highest it has been in here while away for very extended periods of time was 79-80 which my system can get back to 74 within 1-1.5 hours.

So tell me do you have "preferred" temperatures and does it align with your other half preferred temp?

73 F, and we've been heating using nat gas since September. Past few days we hit - 4F at night.
Cooling is 74F, and we had weeks of cooling, with many 90F+ days. Pretty rare around here.
Why not be comfortable, that's what life is about.
And comfortable includes keeping your SO comfort in mind.

Last edited:
67F in winter,
Summer I have 2 window ac's one floor, at each end of the house. I'd guess they keep it around 75F to 80F depending on how hot it get's outside.I know they keep it cool enough so that when you walk outside on a 90 degree day it feels like an oven out there.

71 awake, 67 asleep, for winter. In the summer, I don't turn the air conditioner on for the season until the temperature goes well above 80, then I set it something like 75.

70 in winter, programmed for 64 at night, and 73 in summer, as measured by the thermostat. It's strictly T shirts and shorts in July and August. At night in the summer, I shut off the AC and throw open the windows. We're in the mountains, so the night time outside temp in July and August averages 53 F.

The main living area has lots of glass and is vaulted. The thermostat is in a hallway, just beside the main living area, so the temps vary by solar loading, wind etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
73 F, and we've been heating using nat gas since September. Past few days we hit - 4F at night.
Cooling is 74F, and we had weeks of cooling, with many 90F+ days. Pretty rare around here.
Why not be comfortable, that's what life is about.
And comfortable includes keeping your SO comfort in mind.

73F - good lord I am surprised you are sweating up a storm!
smile.gif

I agree that SO comfort should be in mind but their preferred temp would make me uncomfortably hot.........I guess I could possibly stretch splitting the difference between 68 and 70. I hate to say even anything above 68 during heating season is even too warm for my tastes but I may have to bite the bullet.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
So want to bring up an age old battle that I am sure occurs in most 2+ people households especially now that it is becoming winter again for us in the northern hemisphere. What do you have your heat....and for sake of argument cooling temp set to?

My condo is heat pump equipped as have been 100% of my previous apartments because I am in more temperate climates where heat pumps will suffice 99% of the time, there are those very rare low to mid teen days here in Atlanta where the super expensive electric heat strips need to kick on as the heat pump just can't cut it.

Anyhow I find 68 to be perfectly acceptable whereas my better half finds it "freezing" so it is a constant battle over temperature. Every time I find it getting warm and find the thermostat bumped up to 70 my argument that seems to work brilliantly is that my other half is more than welcome to manage and pay the electric bill, that usually works to have it set back to 68 for a week or so before the "I'm freezing" complaints start up again. Even with my Nest I don't schedule any setbacks while away as I understand heat pump systems will typically cost more to bring a place back to temp after 8-10 hours away versus just maintaining temp 24/7.

Luckily during the more expensive cooling season we both are good with 74 degrees while at home with a setback away temp of the system being off, fortunately I am ground floor with units on 3 sides (above and each adjoining wall) so the highest it has been in here while away for very extended periods of time was 79-80 which my system can get back to 74 within 1-1.5 hours.

So tell me do you have "preferred" temperatures and does it align with your other half preferred temp?

I am in Minnesota and heating a full house. 70 in the day when we are awake, 62 at night. I used to be the guy keeping it at 68 and my spouse was freezing. No more....life is too short to quibble over 2 degrees. Women just need a bit more heat...it's their metabolism.

Winter = 68F daytime and 63F nighttime. Summer = 74F (only if it gets really hot and humid though). I can't imagine setting the furnace to 70 or higher... at that point I think it's time to move to a warmer climate haha.

I have the Nest programmed for 69 during the hours when oilBabe is likely home and then let it drop to 65 during the day while she's at work and at night when she's under the covers.

Summer, the oilBabe temp is 72 and I let it rise to 76 during the day and down to 70 at night while sleeping.

She has the app on her phone. The thermostats have a pin so her son can't change it. I did this after I came home to find he had changed the daytime temp to 68 on a nearly 100 degree day. He wasn't going to sweat to death at 76.

Our schedule;
(we use standard Honeywell programmable thermostats which we love, simple and effective )

Heat;
6:30 am = 68
8 am = 70
5 pm = 72
10:30 pm = 62

A/C
8 am = 78
5 pm = 77
7 pm = 76
10:30 pm = 74

Last edited:
We vary between 71 and 73 year round all day long. 71 during winter and 73 during summer. Of course sometimes you just feel l hotter or colder and we go up one or down one degree.

Now if I get cold, I go downstairs to my propane insert and turn my lazy boy around and toast my toes!

Last edited:
Heat:
65 at night, 68 when we are up

A/C:
Stays on 74 at all times

In the summer if I get cold just go outside
In the winter if I get hot just go outside

That's all the control I have …

We finally gave in and bought a small TV for our room. We've got a pretty big master bedroom, with a master bath, so we hunker down in here and keep the heat off in the rest of the place.

This way, we can keep the heat at 70F+ in the room and let the rest of the house drop down to around 45-50F.

When it gets colder I'll maintain the the rest of the living spaces and the basement > 40F, to prevent freezing.

68F during the day 64 at night in the heating season and 73-74F in the cooling season 70-71 at night, I like it cold, in the winter we've got a space heater in our sons room to keep it around 68 at night.

Back