Heat Pump / Air handler replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Quick question. Does your location currently allow for a natural gas hookup? If so I would recommend that many moons over heatpumps. Speaking from personal experience

Gas is not an option where I live due to the distance to the nearest gas supply. Rural setting.

Not sure where you live in WV but I went to college in Elkins and there were times when it was cold as [censored] there.

Heat pumps are for moderate climates. I think WV is borderline for a heat pump.

How about a hybrid heat pump with a propane backup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Not sure where you live in WV but I went to college in Elkins and there were times when it was cold as [censored] there.

Jackson County.

I had a bad experience with a 500 gal. propane tank about 7 or 8 years ago.
We had it installed to supply several fireplaces in the house.
One evening around 10 PM, I started smelling propane and could hear a loud hissing sound outside.
The safety valve on the tank had failed and propane was spewing out rather violently.
The first thing I did was turn off the main breaker in the electrical panel, and got out of the house.
My property slopes downward behind my house, and the nearest neighbors are about 350 Ft. behind us.
The neighbors smelled the propane and called 911. I called as well. I also called the propane company.
The tank vented until empty before the propane company arrived.
Needless to say, I had the tank removed and made the company refund me for 500 gallons of propane.
No propane for me after that!

Originally Posted By: Donald

Mitsubishi has heatpumps with a HYPERHEAT feature - nearly FULL heat output at 5 degrees F !!!! No backup strips needed!

I'm currently putting in a MXZ-3C30NAHZA for additions on our home - this one can run 3 zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back