Preferred indoor heating/cooling temp

We run 68 here in winter. 62 at night. Summer we run 74 during pretty much around the clock. Now having said that my wife did want cooler and warmer than I did. Of course I had to pay for that.

She likes to have her own checking account and I was paying for the heat/cooling bill. So I had her take over the bill so she could run the temps she wanted. The bill of course shot up and it didn't take long for her to come in line with the temps I ran to keep the bill more reasonable.

In the summer we open the doors and windows to let the cool air flow into the house. We will close the doors and windows when the house is down in temperature or is getting a bit chilly. The A/C comes on less during those days.

Gentlemen, keep your woman warm. Guaranteed you'll get better results.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
We finally gave in and bought a small TV for our room. We've got a pretty big master bedroom, with a master bath, so we hunker down in here and keep the heat off in the rest of the place.

This way, we can keep the heat at 70F+ in the room and let the rest of the house drop down to around 45-50F.

When it gets colder I'll maintain the the rest of the living spaces and the basement > 40F, to prevent freezing.

dallas states, "what a miserable way to live".
it would be, for me, and, I'm guessing, for many others.

i can't think of a reason why someone would choose to live like this, except for a lack of money. if this is the case, I'm sure some bitogers would send to you some money for heating. I would gladly help.
i'm not being facetious.i'm guessing that many families are in this situation, due to lack of funds.all that you have to do, is ask.
have a good day.

I find that this works for teenagers:

[Linked Image]

lol.gif

Now on the subject of the S.O. - have to talk about it.

Winter - One person should not have to sweat when sitting around barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt. If someone is hanging out in shorts and t-shirt and is cold, guess what? Put on more clothes. Budget figures in to this.

Summer - varies greatly by region and humidity.

We keep our thermostat on 68°F/20°C in the winter, and if we need it in summer it's around 75°F/24°C.

What REALLY bothers me, is when the thermostat has been set at a certain temperature for 5 months of summer, and it was fine....then when winter rolls around, the exact same temperature is freezing. That's cray cray.

I live in a wooden Century Home, and have never had insulation blown in. The ancient Montcrief forced air furnace is set at 56 degrees over the winter. Everyone here just wears warm clothes and we are all comfortable.

69* year round, day or night.

If we leave for a weekend or longer it gets moved 5* or so depending on the season. Wife would like it a little warmer, but 69* is all I can do, I cant take more clothes off, but she can put more on. If its 70* I get hot and get cranky.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
So in the winter you just live in your bedroom?
What a miserable way to live.

What an unusual interpretation. It's not as if we keep the rest of the house at 30F and nail the bedroom door shut against the wintry weather on the other side!!!
crackmeup2.gif

Our bedroom is pretty huge, with an attached, walk-in, closet and full bathroom. We've got a queen bed against one wall; there's a chaise lounge in one corner; 49" Samsung TV in one corner; and a desktop, with 32" display in the third corner. Finally, half of our windows are south-facing and there's a skylight, so we get tons of bright light during the day.

Finally, and most importantly, we just had a baby. We're too tired to care about where we hang out. My wife can wake up and watch TV in bed while she's nursing or sit in the lounge, if she prefers.

As you can infer, it's just as comfortable in our bedroom as anywhere else in the house. Why heat the entire, open first floor to baby-comfortable temps, if we don't have to???

Originally Posted by yeti
We finally gave in and bought a small TV for our room. We've got a pretty big master bedroom, with a master bath, so we hunker down in here and keep the heat off in the rest of the place.

This way, we can keep the heat at 70F+ in the room and let the rest of the house drop down to around 45-50F.

When it gets colder I'll maintain the the rest of the living spaces and the basement > 40F, to prevent freezing.

dallas states, "what a miserable way to live".
it would be, for me, and, I'm guessing, for many others.

i can't think of a reason why someone would choose to live like this, except for a lack of money. if this is the case, I'm sure some bitogers would send to you some money for heating. I would gladly help.
i'm not being facetious.i'm guessing that many families are in this situation, due to lack of funds.all that you have to do, is ask.
have a good day.

See above.

Last winter was our first winter in the house. Keeping the main floor at 65-68 resulted in an electricity bill in January of $570. The house is tight and pretty well insulated, it's just got a lot of open space.

There's a huge difference between what's perfectly comfortable and what's prudent. 68-70F was not prudent. Our electricity bill dropped by ~40% the following month due to keeping the thermostat at or around 58-60F. Thicker jammies and blankets aren't very tough additions to our evening attire/move watching/book reading lives.

This past summer we kept the smaller window units running non-stop to keep the humidity below 50%, which resulted in a very livable 80-85F in the living spaces. We only used the large window units when the humidity or temps required them to be on. Would 70F have been more comfortable - sure! Was 80-85F even remotely tough - nope! It's much easier to live out in the living spaces in the summer with high temps and low humidity than it is in the winter, with low temps. It just is what it is.

//

With all of that said, I'm planning on adding solar panels to our entire south-facing roof to help with our demand.

No adjustable heating or cooling for us - ambient temps all year round. We use clothes in winter, and not as many in summer. Windows and doors open in summer, and sometimes a fan. In winter we may turn on a heater of some sort half a dozen times a year in the evening.

Originally Posted by Silk
No adjustable heating or cooling for us - ambient temps all year round. We use clothes in winter, and not as many in summer. Windows and doors open in summer, and sometimes a fan. In winter we may turn on a heater of some sort half a dozen times a year in the evening.

What kind of average winter and summer temps do you see there?

Heating oil last delivery was $2.85 a gallon, so I typically leave my heat on around 55*-60*, 64* occasionally. I'll bundle up. During the summer since electricity is cheap I'll put the AC units on "meat locker"
grin.gif

It is super interesting to see the various responses. I have to say I am in the camp of 'when you pay the heating/ac bill you can control the temperature' - I now see where my father was coming from and I have turned into him.
smile.gif

To those that go above 70 to heat......how much lip balm and moisturizer do you go through?? Trying to do that in Atlanta would probably put me at ~20-30% humidity in the deep of winter. Low indoor humidity can be just as problematic as high indoor humidity so I try to stay as close to the 40-50% as possible.

Summer is high 20's C, 30 would be a stinking hot day, sometimes even going over 30 C. Winter is low teens during the day, single digits is a really cold day. Minimum winter temps at dawn can get down to minus 3 C, lowest I've ever seen here is -4 c, by 10am it will be up to low teens.

Originally Posted by Silk

Summer is high 20's C, 30 would be a stinking hot day, sometimes even going over 30 C. Winter is low teens during the day, single digits is a really cold day. Minimum winter temps at dawn can get down to minus 3 C, lowest I've ever seen here is -4 c, by 10am it will be up to low teens.

That sounds pretty sweet!

Here, we typically see -7 to 0C throughout most of the winter, with at least a week or so of -20C.

Summer, we typically see 20-25 through most of June, then temps could exceed 30C for around a cumulative of a week or more, with 25-28C typical.

Back