Preferred 1/4 torque wrench?

I've been using Precision instruments 1/2 in and 3/8in split beam torque wrenches. I'm a fan of this style. Easy to set and I don't have to worry about
releasing the tension afterwards. I've never owned a 1/4in torque wrench and thinking of getting one for more delicate torque settings.
Any recommendations appreciated. I'm thinking on going with the same company, and getting the Precision Instruments 1/4" Drive, Micrometer Click Torque Wrench 30-200 in/lbs. SKU: PREM1R200HX.........121 bucks, made in the USA like the others. Here's one review on YT comparing it to Capri tools Taiwan model.

Nevermind. I pulled the trigger and bought it. Black friday sale for 108 on Tooltopia. Amazon wanted 150.

I picked up a couple of the Harbor Freight in 3/8" this summer for some small engine stuff. The click is not audible and sometimes difficult to feel. Plus on one of them, the inch pound graduations are a little "off" where the zero doesn't come in right on the 20, 30, etc line as it should. I'm not real sure where it's at.

But they sure are inexpensive!

I have owned the HF 1/4 torque wrench for 5+ years and am overall very pleased with it. As Lenny5160 said, the click is mostly inaudible and the feel is sometimes difficult. Also the small numbers are hard to read these days (after age 44 my close up vision degraded considerably). Otherwise this is a great wrench...I check the torque on all my wrenches about once/yr and it is still very accurate - no adjustment needed.

I also have a 3/8 Tekton and am pleased with it. If I buy a new 1/4 at some point it will probably be a Tekton. Good quality for the $ and the numbers are easier to read.

I have owned the HF 1/4 torque wrench for 5+ years and am overall very pleased with it. As Lenny5160 said, the click is mostly inaudible and the feel is sometimes difficult. Also the small numbers are hard to read these days (after age 44 my close up vision degraded considerably). Otherwise this is a great wrench...I check the torque on all my wrenches about once/yr and it is still very accurate - no adjustment needed.

I also have a 3/8 Tekton and am pleased with it. If I buy a new 1/4 at some point it will probably be a Tekton. Good quality for the $ and the numbers are easier to read.
Really? The click on the ones that I have used is very noticeable. I am planning on buying one soon from there since I never really need a 1/4 hardly.

Really? The click on the ones that I have used is very noticeable. I am planning on buying one soon from there since I never really need a 1/4 hardly.
The click is good on their 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches and I was expecting the same on the 1/4 when I bought it. On the first use I thought I got a dud and took it back for replacement. The next one was the same so I just learned to live with it. Like you mentioned, I don't use a 1/4 very often. But is is nice for those rare occasions on critical parts (e.g., the timing belt tensioner on a Honda).

The click is good on their 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches and I was expecting the same on the 1/4 when I bought it. On the first use I thought I got a dud and took it back for replacement. The next one was the same so I just learned to live with it. Like you mentioned, I don't use a 1/4 very often. But is is nice for those rare occasions on critical parts (e.g., the timing belt tensioner on a Honda).
True. Probably where it’s so small and only inch pounds it might be more sensitive.

I picked up a couple of the Harbor Freight in 3/8" this summer for some small engine stuff. The click is not audible and sometimes difficult to feel. Plus on one of them, the inch pound graduations are a little "off" where the zero doesn't come in right on the 20, 30, etc line as it should. I'm not real sure where it's at.

But they sure are inexpensive!

I have all 3 sizes from Harbor Freight and totally agree about them being inaudible and difficult to feel, the 1/4 is the worst.

I wonder if the Tekton ones are any better?

I have all 3 sizes from Harbor Freight and totally agree about them being inaudible and difficult to feel, the 1/4 is the worst.

I wonder if the Tekton ones are any better?
I only have the Tekton 3/8 and can say that it performs well in all ways. The click is obvious and the numbers are easy to read. I haven't owned it long enough and used it enough to speak to its accuracy over time but so far I like it better than the HF 3/8.

Nice I don’t have a 1/4 torque wrench but my parents are talking about getting me a Harbor Freight one for Christmas the Precision Instruments are great
If this is going to be the business you work in buy quality once and cry once, you cant go wrong.
Like cheap poorly made parts are crap parts the same goes for tools and I am not just talking about cheap price. For small inch pound I use a clicker but also a needle one that has "memory" on the needle, these are used for setting some bearing preload, work most DIY will not be doing but a pro will.

Edit: You cant go wrong with Precision, CDI, Norbar, Stahlwille, Hazet, Snap on, with care these tools can last your whole career.

Last edited:
If this is going to be the business you work in buy quality once and cry once, you cant go wrong.
Like cheap poorly made parts are crap parts the same goes for tools and I am not just talking about cheap price. For small inch pound I use a clicker but also a needle one that has "memory" on the needle, these are used for setting some bearing preload, work most DIY will not be doing but a pro will.

Edit: You cant go wrong with Precision, CDI, Norbar, Stahlwille, Hazet, Snap on, with care these tools can last your whole career.
Yeah the Precision Instruments I really like I’ve never used the others. I’ve had to borrow coworkers before for the 1/4 drive. I do prefer quality and yeah it will be for business and shop use not home most likely.

About 40 years ago, I bought a 1/4" drive Sturtevant beam type at a garage sale for $1. It has USAAF inscribed on it, so it's probably WWII vintage. I have about a half dozen other torque wrenches with it in the drawer now, but it's still the only 1/4".

Back