which torque wrench should i get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by EdwardC
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Bought a Craftsman split beam for wheel work, but it's hard to be very accurate if you can't see the dial while you're torquing the nuts down. I finally marked the gage face at 100 lb-ft with a piece of tape, but seems like it takes a contortionist to read this thing while you're wrenching. Would work fine for torquing things down where the gauge can face you. I went back to my Craftsman clicker for wheels.

I think you're thinking of a normal beam or deflection type torque wrench. The split beam wrenches mentioned above work just like a traditional clicker where you dial in the torque setting by turning the handle. The only difference is that you don't have to unscrew the torque setting in between uses.

Thanks for clarifying. Now that I see them, they look like what I often see used in tire shops. Going to look into one....and get rid of both my existing ones. I think the Craftsman clicker is way out of calibration, and the deflection-style is too hard to use.

Got the precision . the finish on it is kinda odd. there is what looks like pitting under the chrome on the bottom and two bumps that seem to be welds they just ground, but not flat. i checked it with my digital adapter and its about 3# off at 80# setting. So if its 4% then its still in spec.

i might return it and get this one to try. it seem to be either the same as current snap on or a copy

https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Professionally-Certified-Calibrated/dp/B07THFG79P/ref=sr_1_92?crid=J62AX9REYTZX&keywords=torque+wrench&qid=1576650351&sprefix=torque+%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-92

I have a couple.

a craftsman 20 to 150 ft lbs, click-type

a kobalt 50 to 250 ft lbs, click type

and a Cresent 50 to 250 ft lbs click type.

all have served me well.

Glad I got the Husky for $50 on sale at HD. Three pounds off is a lot.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Got the precision . the finish on it is kinda odd. there is what looks like pitting under the chrome on the bottom and two bumps that seem to be welds they just ground, but not flat. i checked it with my digital adapter and its about 3# off at 80# setting. So if its 4% then its still in spec.

i might return it and get this one to try. it seem to be either the same as current snap on or a copy

https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Professionally-Certified-Calibrated/dp/B07THFG79P/ref=sr_1_92?crid=J62AX9REYTZX&keywords=torque+wrench&qid=1576650351&sprefix=torque+%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-92

I guess my question is, how do you know the digital adapter is in spec?

Last edited:
HI,
When you tension a bolt; the "torque wrench" is only accurate under defined conditions. So +/- 10% accuracy is fine. Ok for most non-critical things I guess.
Cheers,
Iain.

Originally Posted by SpitFire6
HI,
When you tension a bolt; the "torque wrench" is only accurate under defined conditions. So +/- 10% accuracy is fine. Ok for most non-critical things I guess.
Cheers,
Iain.

Error of 10% is way above what torque wrenches have. That's 25 lbs at 250. If a torque wrench is reading less than accurate a dirty thread means the torque is even more out. If the thread is perfect the error will be better, 225 instead of the correct 250. That isn't acceptable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back