Preference: Charcoal or no?

Have to disagree with you strongly there.
Thats ok, sometimes I even disagree with myself! :unsure: and I never really researched it except in the marine reef keeping area. Carbon lasts a very short time and the carbon on an air filter is literally so thin I dont see how it car be effective very long.

Ok, so now I looked it up because I remember reading about it.
An example would be consumer reports tests shows one very expensive Lennox Carbon air filter no more effective with smoke ect than that of non carbon.
Then there is an expensive Filtrate Carbon filter that is at the bottom of the barrel with a score of 35 out of 100. Another filtrate carbon with a score of 41 and the one carbon air filter (Lennox) near the top did no better than the non carbon, it was just a good filter like the others.
SO all in all, 2 of the 3 carbon filters did far worse then many non carbon and truly were at the bottom in ratings and the one that did good, did no better than all the other good ones that were not carbon.

Just an example - (the higher rated filters score at least 4 out of 5 in everything)
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 9.34.24 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Thats ok, sometimes I even disagree with myself! :unsure: and I never really researched it except in the marine reef keeping area. Carbon lasts a very short time and the carbon on an air filter is literally so thin I dont see how it car be effective very long.

An example would be consumer reports tests shows one very expensive Lennox Carbon air filter no more effective with smoke ect than that of non carbon.
Then there is an expensive Filtrate Carbon filter that is at the bottom of the barrel with a score of 35 out of 100. Another filtrate carbon with a score of 41 and the one carbon air filter (Lennox) near the top did no better than the non carbon, it was just a good filter like the others.
SO all in all, 2 of the 3 carbon filters did far worse then many non carbon and truly were at the bottom in ratings and the one that did good, did no better than all the other good ones that were not carbon.

Just an example - (the higher rated filters score at least 4 out of 5 in everything)
View attachment 133781
All I know is that I get a whole universe of outside smells in my Touareg when I use a Rock Auto $2 Ultra-Power CAF vs the OEM.

I actually identified an exhaust leak by the smell after installing the cheapie. Was probably breathing CO for a while and didn't know.

View attachment 133781
Actually, they can work, but "it depends". On a cheap automobile cabin filter that sells for $8 to $15, there is only so much going into it.
The company I work for uses vapor management systems on the medical disinfection equipment we sell, and the activated charcoal filters work very well, and we have the data testing to support their use. But the system sells for $2500 and the replacement filters are $190 and are quite large with very deep pleats, as the filters are 3.5 inches thick. We recommend filter replacement every 6 months to avoid the filter becoming completely saturated with chemical vapors.

A 1" thick filter against the very high CFM of a home HVAC system is probably just too thin to offer much in return. Probably needs to be at least 4" thick with resultant deep pleats to work effectively.

Actually, they can work, but "it depends". On a cheap automobile cabin filter that sells for $8 to $15, there is only so much going into it.
The company I work for uses vapor management systems on the medical disinfection equipment we sell, and the activated charcoal filters work very well, and we have the data testing to support their use. But the system sells for $2500 and the replacement filters are $190 and are quite large with very deep pleats, as the filters are 3.5 inches thick. We recommend filter replacement every 6 months to avoid the filter becoming completely saturated with chemical vapors.

A 1" thick filter against the very high CFM of a home HVAC system is probably just too thin to offer much in return. Probably needs to be at least 4" thick with resultant deep pleats to work effectively.
I could not agree more with what you posted

We didn't need no CAFs in the past and almost all of us survived.
They can keep their ashtrays too. I grind my cigarettes out in my wife's eye....and she's grateful for it.
We used to climb trees and jumped down and sought to land on our heads, we didn't need no helmets.
Didn't need no nanny state. neither.
Also, ban power steering. It'll take a lot of women off the road.
Let 'em steal my cat. I bypassed it years ago. I have a stockpiles of leaded fuel. leaded paint and asbestos sleepwear for the kids!

Seriously, just keeping the old grouchy ones happy.

My Escape didn't come with a cabin filter from the factory, but a few years back when there were lots of fires and ash in our area I added one to the space under the hood where it could go. Yes, it's under the hood, and it only filters incoming air, not recirculating area. Anyway, I went with an el-cheapo MicroGard and well, that same filter is still in there. Last time I checked it still looked OK. I don't think I would have noticed any difference going with a more premium filter since it doesn't seem to do much anyway in this application.

If I had a car with a more typical cabin air filter setup I'd definitely go for a HEPA-certified filter and change it regularly so it doesn't get plugged up.

I have been using activated carbon CAFs for twenty years. I have never noticed them to stop eliminating or at least reducing odors. I'm talking mostly about being stuck in traffic behind a Diesel. It can get dusty here and who knows what spores grow in the pleats especially during the rainy season? That's why I replace the CAF every spring.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Bosch Hepa fitler. Gonna try it and see if it makes a difference; both with smell and air flow.

The Lexus is the only vehicle we own that has a cabin filter. I use OEM/Denso filters which are charcoal.

There's also an air sniffer attached to the radiator support that will switch the HVAC from outside to inside if it detects HC/CO in outside air. I've seen it switch over only once since 2008.

1676412558980.jpg

I just ordered a Bosch Hepa fitler. Gonna try it and see if it makes a difference; both with smell and air flow.
I'm running one now and it doesn't seem to reduce smells at all. I still get fumigated by old diesel trucks for example.

I use Honda cabin (& intake) filters only, as all have automatic climate control which I'm sure is somewhat sensitive to restriction. Here in Central Pennsylvania, we're the east coast truck terminal center so lots of diesel soot and we seem to be the pollen center as well. Filters get very dark and seem to collect all sorts of other debris as well, so generally change cabin filters twice a year, intake annually. I use dealer service and usually have a go-to master tech for both service and advice. Years ago one told me to never pay a dealer to change a filter especially at flat rate. 5 minutes max for most and he showed me how, about 25 years ago. Good advice.

Back