Preference: Charcoal or no?

What is your preference on using charcoal-infused cabin filters, VS standard filters? Lately it seems from the aftermarket point of view, standard filters are getting harder to find VS charcoal-infused.

Charcoal. Just "why not" for the same or close price. The ones I've used don't stop skunks though.
Mostly, we don't smell many trucks or bad cat cars.
Of course, not smelling things while driving doesn't mean the filter filtered them out! Maybe they weren't there. Lack of evidence proves it works = NOT. ;)

I stay away from HEPA filters.. too much restriction

Charcoal or not depends on application and availability.

I would say it does little but it does something so a small + for charcoal.

Same mentality for me.

I don't understand why anyone would put charcoal in an air filter. Odours (for the most part) are simply complex organic chemicals. Sure charcoal absorbs odours, and (if so) it will be fully saturated in about 30 minutes. Then what?

If it's saturated it won't be able to absorb more odours. And if it releases odours later, what was the point? Do you want your car to smell vaguely of skunk for weeks, or for a few minutes and get it over with.

I suspect this is only an advertising gimmick. What am I missing?

What's a cabin air filter? Just kidding, I'd get charcoal if VERY near the same price, recognizing that I don't drive in dusty areas, nor spend much time in traffic jams, yet the charcoal will be saturated long before the filter is otherwise due to be replaced from deposits/restriction so for my use I consider it mostly a waste to add charcoal.

I suspect this is only an advertising gimmick. What am I missing?
Yeah I hear what you're saying and it makes sense but where I live there are three big smells: chicken, hogs, and pine smoke.

A charcoal filter reduces all 3 smells. I run a cabin filter 20k or 1 year. I haven't noticed a decrease in their effectiveness over the course of a year, but I have noticed whenever I bought a plain filter.

Yeah I hear what you're saying and it makes sense but where I live there are three big smells: chicken, hogs, and pine smoke.

A charcoal filter reduces all 3 smells. I run a cabin filter 20k or 1 year. I haven't noticed a decrease in their effectiveness over the course of a year, but I have noticed whenever I bought a plain filter.

I'm surprised they're effective for that long but it sounds like they make a difference.

So how could that work? They would have to absorb or adsorb the relevant organic chemicals, then slowly release them at a rate that is imperceptible. Otherwise they would just stop working after a few minutes/hours/days.

I'm not a big fan of hog odours. We visited a communal farm some years ago and they really wanted to show me their hog operation. The smell was so bad I couldn't get through the door. And my down filled jacket was intolerable for months afterwards.

I'm surprised they're effective for that long but it sounds like they make a difference.

So how could that work? They would have to absorb or adsorb the relevant organic chemicals, then slowly release them at a rate that is imperceptible. Otherwise they would just stop working after a few minutes/hours/days.

I'm not a big fan of hog odours. We visited a communal farm some years ago and they really wanted to show me their hog operation. The smell was so bad I couldn't get through the door. And my down filled jacket was intolerable for months afterwards.
Every now and then you'll get stuck behind a chicken truck. 🤮

As I understand it, activated charcoal in filters has a massive surface area compared to their size. It's a bit beyond my comprehension I'll admit but I can tell a difference.

I've used both charcoal impregnated CAFs and non charcoal (particulate) CAFs and noticed no difference in how they work...of the charcoal ones (both OEM and non OEM) i have notice sometimes less pleats...possibly for flow reasons?...

Bill

If so I had to be the other way round since more pleats result in bigger
surface area, but I don't even buy that 'more restrictive' argument at all.

Charcoal at a minimum.
I try to buy Mann FreciousPlus or Hengst Blue.Care when available.

This, however I has aleady been discussed to death on this forum.

I strongly prefer charcoal whenever available. EVen better if it's one of those new filters like Mann FP, Mahle Care Metix, or similar with the anti-mold layer

Nothing special, just the plain pleated. No charcoal, no hepa, no frills. Least expensive CAF that's equivalent or close to the OEM (also plain), as long as it fits well. Just bought a Potauto CAF off the Zon for a neighbor's 7th gen Civic. $8 and change (2 filters). Looking at it, pretty impressed. Least expensive one for that model.

I've read that some charcoal can be air flow restrictive, won't mention brand I read. Don't know if true, don't need to find out. Generally 'my opinion' of CAFs, for what they are, ridiculously overpriced. My .02

I have always been able to find Motorcraft OEM up until this last year, then all the sudden the price doubled. I refuse to pay that money for a CF, so I purchased an Ecogard no issues perfect fit. Matter of fact I purchased another one, for a Nissan Rogue, a few weeks later.

I get the charcoal if available. I bought 2 of the Purolator Boss for my Legacy. Haven't used them yet. They don't have them for my Impreza yet so I have been using TYC. Though, I can't a difference. I still get smells from the outside like Exhaust. Maybe it is just a ****ty Subaru design or maybe if I used a higher quality filter. TYC seemed to be similar to OEM. I have an ATP for my wife's car that is pretty thick so maybe it does better. It is much thicker than the STP I bought the first time and half the price too.

I get the charcoal if available. I bought 2 of the Purolator Boss for my Legacy. Haven't used them yet. They don't have them for my Impreza yet so I have been using TYC. Though, I can't a difference. I still get smells from the outside like Exhaust. Maybe it is just a ****ty Subaru design or maybe if I used a higher quality filter. TYC seemed to be similar to OEM. I have an ATP for my wife's car that is pretty thick so maybe it does better. It is much thicker than the STP I bought the first time and half the price too.
[/QUOTE
Did you get the ATP charcoal or standard?

Back